The People of Pike County, Illinois Enact 'Constitutional' Con

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2862761/posts

Pike County, Illinois Enacts Concealed Carry

TheOutdoorWire.com ^ | 3/23/2012 | TheOutdoorWire.com

Posted on Friday, March 23, 2012 7:55:06 AM by 2nd amendment mama

PASA Park, Barry, IL -- In the election held Tuesday, March 20, 2012, the voters of Pike County, Illinois, approved a firearms concealed-carry ordinance by a 3,214 to 550 margin. It was one of the largest voter turnouts in county history. The ordinance directly contradicts current Illinois state law. As presented on the ballot, the ordinance took effect upon passage, and applies only to Pike County. The ordinance was placed on the ballot by a citizen initiative petition process that garnered three times the number of signatures required by law.

The new "Constitutional Carry" Pike County initiative was spearheaded by local Second Amendment activist Dr. Dan Mefford of Pittsfield, who drafted the successful ordinance in conjunction with noted outdoor journalist and firearms law expert Dick Metcalf, who is also a resident of Pike County. According to Dr. Mefford, "The people are speaking, and what the people are saying is, 'Trust the people.'"

Historians have stated that this is the first time since 1862 that county voters in any U.S. state have explicitly reversed a state law. The previous example was when the five western counties of Virginal nullified that state's secession from the Union, and themselves seceded from Virginia to form the new state of West Virginia.

It is widely anticipated that other rural and downstate counties will follow Pike County's lead. In 2007, the Pike County Board enacted a resolution stating that further restrictive firearms laws enacted by the Illinois State Legislature would be deemed by Pike County "to be Unconstitutional and beyond lawful Legislative Authority." That resolution was subsequently passed by 89 percent of all Illinois counties.

County and local law enforcement officers in Pike County are obligated by law to enforce country ordinances. State law enforcement officers and agencies are obligated to enforce state law. Legal observers therefore expect the inevitable court battle to be complex, because the new ordinance was enacted by the voters themselves, not by any county or local legislative entity.

County and local law enforcement officers in Pike County are obligated by law to enforce country ordinances. State law enforcement officers and agencies are obligated to enforce state law. Legal observers therefore expect the inevitable court battle to be complex, because the new ordinance was enacted by the voters themselves, not by any county or local legislative entity.
The State will attempt to ignore and reverse the Will of The People and continue to trample The People's Constitutional & BoR Rights.
  • Like 4

Well good for them! They need to contact their sheriff. Don't know about IL. However, in some states the County Sheriffs have true law enforcement Authority. He can just arrest any BATFE or state commy thugs and put them in jail for violating County law! Well depending on IL law. but since IL is a sick commy run state, this is worth checking, but doubtful. This is just another reason to know/vet the people we put in office before we put them there. GOD BLESS them all for their efforts!

Edited by Guns Are Great
  • Like 1

Well good for them! They need to contact their sheriff. Don't know about IL. However, in some states the County Sheriffs have true law enforcement Authority. He can just arrest any BATFE or state commy thugs and put them in jail for violating County law! Well depending on IL law. but since IL is a sick commy run state, this is worth checking, but doubtful. GOD BLESS them all for their efforts!

Agreed. As far as I can tell, ALL sheriffs are the supreme law enforcement officer in the county that they serve. I know that when federal agents enter a county to enforce federal law, they must notify and have the consent of the county sheriff. When it comes to defying laws in the state that they reside, I'm not so sure. They are, however elected by the constituents that they serve, and are bound to serve The Will of the People.

Sounds like the makings of a serious fight.

• Like 3

Well good for them! They need to contact their sheriff. Don't know about IL. However, in some states the County Sheriffs have true law enforcement Authority. He can just arrest any BATFE or state commy thugs and put them in jail for violating County law! Well depending on IL law. but since IL is a sick commy run state, this is worth checking, but doubtful. GOD BLESS them all for their efforts!

Agreed. As far as I can tell, ALL sheriffs are the supreme law enforcement officer in the county that they serve. I know that when federal agents enter a county to enforce federal law, they must notify and have the consent of the county sheriff. When it comes to defying laws in the state that they reside, I'm not so sure. They are, however elected by the constituents that they serve, and are bound to serve The Will of the People.

Sounds like the makings of a serious fight.

That's right. The sherriff is supposed to be the highest law of the land. I wished like hell hundreds of them would band together, and set up sting arrest operations and arrest the "above the law" lawbreakers in federal government (i.e. BATFE, U.S. Martials, FBI, IRS, etc..) when these tyrannical bastards pull certain shinanigans illegally against the people in their jurisdictions.

It always cracked me up on the television shows when the feds show up, and tell the sherriff that federal law supercedes state law. Unfortunately, our country has gotten so government overpowered to the point that most citizens actually believe the fed is the extreme law of the land.

• Like 1

im glad to see them tell the state to fuck off. sadly, not sure how it will turn out, or for how long it will be in effect until the state comes down on them. im still glad to them stand up and take action.

It should be an interesting court battle.

Unlike the Federal Government and their stance on the "Nullification" issue, most states tend to favor local or home rule a bit more heavily in the favor of the local jurisdiction.

There is a movement supported by some politicians in Illinois right now in favor of the nullification of Obamacare. If they can favor State nullification over Federal law, it would be hard to argue State law over Local law for those in power. Just my 2 cents......

BTW, Illinois has set precedence and used nullification before, in opposition to some Indian treaties set forth by the Federal Government. Hard to be for and against the same basic issue.

Edited by armory