What Optic to go with...

Just about done with my saiga conversion.last thing to do is add a scope mount and scope/optic. I'm decided on the beryl style mount from CSS, just need some pointers on red dot or scope....and what kind. Any help is much appreciated.

My opinion: If you are getting a Beryl style mount, get the Texas Dogleg Gen 2...far as optics: Primary Arms microdot with removeable base.

This way you can get a palm/midwest rail down the road and install it on that, if you ever decide to go quad rail.

My experience has been the recoil is killer for optics on Saiga/AK platform, primary arms is solid plus Marshall is awesome to deal with.

But it all depends on your budget....I'm insanely cheap and I can't justify buying a 400-500 dollar optic for a 400 dollar rifle.

Edited by cpltk2

I went with a KVAR side mount and a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot. Thousands of rounds down range and never had to change a setting once it was zeroed. Only took about 20 rounds to zero it perfectly. Zeroed at 50 yards, I am on target from 25 yards out to about 150 without changing my point of aim (obviously it hits a bit lower at 150, but still can make a center mass shot every time if I do my part).

I've been reading a lot of reviews saying side mounts tend to come loose after a while and lose zero ¿ guess not true all the time. That was my first option til I read about the beryl style mount. Thought about the tex dog leg gen 2 but on a budget didn't seem necessary to get it when I could get the same out of a $40 mount

I mean it seems like the beryl mount does the same as the tex dog leg gen 2 does...

Edited by Jon P.

If I were starting from scratch on a 7.62x39mm, I think I'd go with an RS Regulate AKML mount and a Primary Arms micro dot (with removable base). If your heart is set on the DPH rail that CSS sells, I recommend a low power scope, perhaps a variable in the range of 1-4x. My .223 has a DPH Beryl rail on it, and mounted on the rail is a Nitrex 1.5-5x32mm scope. I think that setup is a little too big, but in low enough rings it is very useable.

I've been reading a lot of reviews saying side mounts tend to come loose after a while and lose zero ¿ guess not true all the time.

Not for me. I have used a POSP AK mount for a while and thosands of rounds through it, also I remove it every time I am done shooting(i don't have the room in the safe with it on), holds zero great!

I've been reading a lot of reviews saying side mounts tend to come loose after a while and lose zero ¿ guess not true all the time.

Not for me. I have used a POSP AK mount for a while and thosands of rounds through it, also I remove it every time I am done shooting(i don't have the room in the safe with it on), holds zero great!

i gonna start looking into these now. seems like it might be a good way to go in order to take the scope off, if needed, and put it on without losing zero.

Looks good so far! I'm not a big fan of bipods, but whatever floats your boat.

POSPs are a good choice, though they're a bit powerful for a general purpose optic. Just be advised that the cheekweld is quite different from Western scopes.

I use a cheap ass utg quick detatch side mount, with a cheap ass little 4 power scope. After a little work on the mount, I have not had to sight it back in for the last 8 months. Ive taken it on and off at least 100times and shot probably 500rds. I dont keep mine on either, so it goes on and off every time I use it.

I've been very happy with my kalinka bp02 sidemount with bushnell trs25. It's adds a little weight. But is very very sturdy

That said, im planning on going to an ultimak soon

Ive also heard very good things out of the bushnell trs25

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGLOd1jHz8E

nutnfancy's pretty long winded, but I cant say he doesnt give the shit he reviews a work out.

Edited by Boomsick42

Ok so what side mount do yall recommend quick release or the regular screw on one? Which is more stable?

In my experience, its an ak, and youll need your iron sights eventually. Get one that is a quick release. I use a utg quick detatch side mount, but its not the best out there. It works great for me, but if you want something rock solid that you dont have to tinker with, get a kvar side mount or a belarus bp02.

Personally, id get the bp02 low profile, since the normal one sits up a little high. some like to see their irons underneath, I think it sit toooo high.

But definately quick detatch.

Ok so what side mount do yall recommend quick release or the regular screw on one? Which is more stable?

Ive been very happy with my bp02 from kalinka, purchased from primary arms. It's a little heavier than the UTG but if I ever want to put magnified optics id prefer the extra beef

The bushnell trs25 although not a perfectly round dot. Is very nice with it being 3moa waterproof and fog proof. And goes plently bright(never used it above level 7 of 11) and is plently stout, maybe not aimpoint stout, but I protect my optics. For the 69.99 I paid a few months back I should have bought 4.

I don't think you can beat the rugged functionality of a PK-23-01 for the price... and its 1 MOA blinking red dot is a rare, (and very effective), feature. The side mount comes with it and mounts the optic center-bore and much lower than the common UTG/K-Var mounts, though it will not quite co-witness with the irons.

Here's mine:

m580transferpk23pics022.jpg

94pics016u.jpg

I bought mine from Eastwave for ~$200 shipped awhile back.

I don't think you can beat the rugged functionality of a PK-23-01 for the price... and its 1 MOA blinking red dot is a rare, (and very effective), feature. The side mount comes with it and mounts the optic center-bore and much lower than the common UTG/K-Var mounts, though it will not quite co-witness with the irons.

Does the PK-23 refer to the sight and the -01 refer to the side mount? I can say without question, thats a better sight than a trs25.

Does the PK-23 refer to the sight and the -01 refer to the side mount? ...

I don't think so. Maybe at some point PK-23s became PK-23-01s? :unsure:

pk2301markings.jpg

...I can say without question, thats a better sight than a trs25.

Absolutely. It's a mil-spec optic. I briefly had a TRS-25 for my S-12 and it seemed alright, but obviously of fairly cheap Chinese construction. I replaced it with an Aimpoint R-1.

I don't think so. Maybe at some point PK-23s became PK-23-01s? :unsure:

pk2301markings.jpg

Absolutely. It's a mil-spec optic. I briefly had a TRS-25 for my S-12 and it seemed alright, but obviously of fairly cheap Chinese construction. I replaced it with an Aimpoint R-1.

True statement.

The trs is a great high value plinking optic. Far better than those utg and true dot 5moa junk. But still just a plinking optic.

That pk23 is a wonderful rugged optic, but I believe they are harder to find than they used to be.

And I don't quite understand how hey can function like a regular parallax free red dot(aimpoint,trs,etc etc) when they have a black dot etched on the optics. Maybe you could explain that a little better postapoc?

I don't think so. Maybe at some point PK-23s became PK-23-01s? unsure.png

pk2301markings.jpg

True statement.

The trs is a great high value plinking optic. Far better than those utg and true dot 5moa junk. But still just a plinking optic.

That pk23 is a wonderful rugged optic, but I believe they are harder to find than they used to be...

This was my source: http://www.eastwave.ca/products/scopes/pdk23.html It looks like they're still available, just ~$15 more expensive than when I ordered mine.

...And I don't quite understand how hey can function like a regular parallax free red dot(aimpoint,trs,etc etc) when they have a black dot etched on the optics. Maybe you could explain that a little better postapoc?

The PK-23 doesn't have an etched reticle, (some other Rus mil-spec optics do; e.g. the PK-AS), just a 1 MOA blinking dot.

Does anyone have an opinion on the UTG leapers scopes from CSS? I've seen a few truglo's and vortex that seem good also

I have around 5 Leapers, and I have been happy with all of them. I get what I expect for the price. I accidently order some UAG instead of UTG scopes off Amazon, 50% success rate

Never heard of the East Wave site, just love how every 'Russian' scope is a SNIPER scope, every single one.

What ordering experiences been with these guys, I've used Kalinka Optics and been very happy, but East Wave has some models Kalinka doesn't.