The red dot blew my mind!!

At risk of sounding like a complete moron...

I just looked through a red dot sight today, for the first time.

I am right handed but left eyed, and with a pistol there is no problem, both eyes wide open. With a rifle I have to squint, either with a scope or iron sights. I never thought much of it because my squint was rather shallow and I could see out of my squinted eye.

But when I looked though a 'sun optics' red dot sight and a millet 1x25, I COULD KEEP BOTH EYES OPEN!! Like wide open. I had no idea the red dot image would superimpose over my total vision, it was completely amazing.

I dont get out much

Im thinkin about the primary arms mini dot or the bushnell trs 25. They both seem good for what I would need, but im leanin towards the primary arms. The 100dollar price tag sounds alright too. I cant put down much more than that.

Would any of you guys recommend any other dot sight, price comprable, than the trs 25 or the primary mini???

Edited by Boomsick42

I have 2 of the TRS-25. One on a 5.56 and another on a {mossberg 500 12g.(5" 5 shot groups at 100 yards.-18" barrel, home cast slugs)} Both hold zero perfectly. On a side note I leave both mine on setting 2 all the time, factory battery is still going after about 5 months. Buy the TRS-25 you won't be disappointed. Oh and you should also pick up an ulitmak/Midwest Industry rail so you can co-witness with your irons.

post-20983-0-43783800-1334038772_thumb.jpg

post-20983-0-53185300-1334038797.jpg

• Like 1

For around $35.00 more, the Vortex Strikefire is a pretty darn fine dot IMO. Check it out. It has both red dot and green dot, built rugged as hell, has a switch that dims or brightens the dot, it's night vison compatable, shockproof, and its supposed to be waterproof, although I've never tested it. It also comes with a screw on doubler. You can get it with either the low mount or the high mount. I've got the high mount on both my rifles so I can see the iron sights under them.

I simply picked up a Millett SP2 and slapped it on a BP-02 mount. I keep a 4x32mm scope on QD rings for the "reach out and touch something" work. The 5MOA dot is large on higher settings( I normally run it on a "4"), but I have astigmatism, and smaller dots have a tendency to blur or resemble a cluster of grapes in a kaleidoscope.

I have the trs 25 and have been very happy. It is a great trainer for someone planning to get an aimpoint.

It's not as strong ot have anywhere near the battery life of the aimpoint but is great on a plinker or training analog. I would call it the most sturdy of the lower priced (under 100) red dots

• Like 1

I have the trs 25 and have been very happy. It is a great trainer for someone planning to get an aimpoint.

It's not as strong ot have anywhere near the battery life of the aimpoint but is great on a plinker or training analog. I would call it the most sturdy of the lower priced (under 100) red dots

Ive heard so many good things about them that just seems like a sure thing. Ive also heard tons of good things about the PA micro. The trs has a 2 year warranty with suspect customer service and the PA has a one year warranty with great customer service. So that to me, is a draw. I can find the trs for around 80 and the pa for about the same. So who wins??

+1 for Vortex. I just got a SPARC and its totally awesome. i absolutly love it..

Does the sparc have the bogus 'one hour shut down' feature?? I looked into the strikefire and that the one thing I didnt like about it. What did you pay for yours??

Im not gonna lie, im an Aimpoint snob, but if you are on a budget, get the Bushnell TRS-25! For the money, you WILL NOT find a better dot...

This sight seems to be the winner in the price range. My only fear is it getting to my house with some kind of problem, then having to fuck around with bushnells customer service, which ive heard is sub par. Ive had a couple crappy experiences with laserlyte in the past and dont wish to repeat them.

Maybe this is an irrational fear, but a fear none the less.

For twice the money, is the sparc more than twice the sight?? Im thinkin about that one too.

Im not gonna lie, im an Aimpoint snob, but if you are on a budget, get the Bushnell TRS-25! For the money, you WILL NOT find a better dot...

This sight seems to be the winner in the price range. My only fear is it getting to my house with some kind of problem, then having to fuck around with bushnells customer service, which ive heard is sub par. Ive had a couple crappy experiences with laserlyte in the past and dont wish to repeat them.

Maybe this is an irrational fear, but a fear none the less.

For twice the money, is the sparc more than twice the sight?? Im thinkin about that one too.

I have no personal experience with the SPARC, but I have read some really shitty reviews about it, such as the dots have been known to be pretty blurry even at low settings, and the on/off & NV buttons are overly sensitive and they can pop on in your range bag thus drastically cutting battery life. just reading stuff like that kept me from buying one. kinda of disheartening, because prior to the TRS-25 i really wanted a SPARC because it seemed to be a good choice for an Aimpoint substitute.... I dont regret the TRS-25 at all... infact, its kinda changed my whole outlook on bushnell as a company. Ive always been a stickler for quality and most of my adult life until recently, my Rifle scopes have always been Leupold and my dots have always been Aimpoint...

Edited by RoughRider666

PA micro-dot fixed based sitting on ultimak.

In hindsight, I wish I bought the removeable base version.

No you don't... My gen 7 which was a PERFECT cowitness setup (fixed base) lost it's back glass, as in, it popped off. No worries- PA told me to send it back for credit, in spite of my painting it... and they would send me what I wanted (one with a killflash- they sent a gen 10 removable base with killflash) for the difference.

The good: The Gen 10 is AWESOME. The sight picture is clear, and the dot bright and sharp. The killflash is functional and well designed for the unit. I think it will serve me well.

The not so good: I can't see my irons anymore through the sight, or more fairly, BARELY... NOTHING as good as the fixed base. I'm getting another gen 7 fixed base for my Saiga, and a riser to throw this gen 10 on one of our other rifles.

You don't want a removable base if you're running it with an UltimAK, in other words.

On the OTHER bright side- the PA micro is a tough little bugger... That old gen 7 I "broke" was still functional even without the rear glass- and I shot in ALL weather, even rain and snow with that thing.

AND PA still gave me full credit on return. THAT kind of service wins my loyalty every time.

+1 for the Primary Arms micro.

• Like 2

Good stuff...

Thanks for the heads up on the removeable base micro..the reason I went with ultimak was for co-witness..

If I could barely see the irons with the removeable base, it woulda irked me to no end.

032.gif

Edited by cpltk2

PA Micro Dot on either Ultimak or Midwest Industries optic specific top rail.

http://www.midwestin...category_id=391

PA on MI co-witnesses.

Note: (Chile probably knows this, it's more for the OP) you will NEED the removable base model for the MI/Palm top cover... Other than that, it is a FANTASTIC option, just as good (better for some applications) as the UltimAK in my opinion.

So in summation:

UltimAK with PA micro- you want a fixed base in my experience.

MI rail with Palm top cover/PA micro- NEED a removable base

I have the chaos mini quad rail, and there will be no chance in hell of a cowitness with either the trs or pa (read some not so great things about the sparc and wont take the chance). Maybe if I raise my rear sight to 300 and re sight in my front, Even then it will only catch the bottom 1/4 of the sight, Ill bet. But thats not my agenda and I could really give half a crap.

Ill probably be mounting on my QD side mount in case I need to take it off fast. If I like it on the front, Ill find a way to detatch it quickly in the event of failure, since neither sight has a quick detatch, bummer. But both sights seem to be a great fuckin deal, im kinda torn.

The more I look, I see praises of the trs everywhere. I have also heard that bushnells customer service is third rate shit. I see nothing but good reviews about the PA mini, and their customer service is top notch, but only for half as long as the trs.

Ive seen some reviews on the trs that guys are really putting it though its paces, and its coming up great all the way. The customer service aspect is the only draw back. On the other hand, Ive read primary arms does not say 'to treat their sight as a go-to defense sight' so they are admitting a certain weakness in their product, although they will stand behind it all the way .

I just want to make sure I make the right decision for my money. I would be willing to pay a bit more for rock solid reliability, but im not finding the value in any other sight in the 100-200 dollar range. If theres anything you guys know of in that category please let me know.

Aimpoint is out of the question, as their products cost as much as one of my pay checks. It just too much for me and my family situation.

Edited by Boomsick42

I asked and Chaos is working on a titan style rear for Chaos rail system.

When it comes out you can replace the top and get something like a HK or AR style BUIS sight system with a red-dot and you will be able to co-witness.

We are going to be manufacturing a rear matching piece that will turn these into AK Titan rails. We just had to get these out there first.

I asked and Chaos is working on a titan style rear for Chaos rail system.

When it comes out you can replace the top and get something like a HK or AR style BUIS sight system with a red-dot and you will be able to co-witness.

We are going to be manufacturing a rear matching piece that will turn these into AK Titan rails. We just had to get these out there first.

that would be sweet tits, popping on a titan style upper handguard on my chaos lower. I wonder how much that will run me??

no the sparc will shut down after 6 hrs. the only prpb i had with mine is the mount kept loosening up on me. i had to put extra loc tite on it. I paid 179 for it. the warrenty is awesome i love it

I can say honestly, that warranty is whats making this decision hard. Its not a no questions asked warranty like the scopes, but a lifetime warranty none the less. I need to do some more home work in it and check into some of the bad reviews.

Honestly, just get the PA fixed dot for your chaos rail.

$79 bux with 1 year warranty...if its going to break, it'll break from AK recoil within that 1 year from a mfg defect.

If it does breaks after 1 years time, you can always get another one because well...its only $79 bux.

I'm also using a PA M3+high cant mount for my AR-15. Lots of AR guys swear by PA stuff also.

You can't go wrong with PA and Marhall always stands behind his products.

Also far as Go-To-Defense sight, its more to do with legal terms. They get their stuff imported from China and they have laws about exports classed as military grade. Aimpoint/Eotech/Trijicon guys will always say anything outside of Aimpoint/Eotech/Trijicon is crap and that includes bushnell, those guys hate bushnell, PA and anything that isn't brand-name....I say PA stuff is awesome and I have zero qualms about using my PA mount for home defense if I needed to.

Go with your gut and get what appeals to you smile.png

Edited by cpltk2
  • Like 1

Aimpoint is out of the question, as their products cost as much as one of my pay checks. It just too much for me and my family situation.

Not all the time... I thought so too, until the husband picked up a Comp M2 (in good shape!) on ebay for 280 shipped a few weeks ago, then a week later, ran across a Comp ML2 from a reservist coming home for $100- he had no idea what it was worth!!! That was two Comp 2's for 380 total!!!

The ML2 was all but BRAND NEW, as was the factory mount. It had the flip up covers and ARD... 100 bucks!!! It's just not NVG compatible. I can live with that for the price.

Sold the M2 to a buddy of ours for $200, and split the difference... Everybody wins. Just saying- don't give up... There are deals on ebay every so often. Look for Aimpoint M68/CCO too.

I'm going to find a micro H1 for less than 450 one of these days, and that will be that. :D

I say PA stuff is awesome but I have zero qualms about using my PA mount for home defense if I needed to.

Go with your gut and get what appeals to you smile.png

I'll go a step further... My Gen 7 micro was WAY over warranty and they stood behind it. Remember- I even PAINTED it!!! They still gave me credit.

I seriously BEAT that Gen 7. It worked even missing the rear glass. In the rain. Often.

My Saiga wears PA micro with confidence.

Edited by bohound

Nothing ive google searched about the pa micro and primary arms in general, have given me any bad thoughts. If a sight was defective it was replaced. Thats it, and they all seem to last a while and take some abuse. I hear the same about the trs, but some of the customer service complaints were pretty bad. Primary arms is a first class company and I will most likely get my sight from them.

They are both made in china. I would much rather buy from a company who stands behind its product 100%.

i also prefer the PA MD-07. very great dot. very clean edges, no edge flaring from beam contact with the lens. the knob is tight to hand turn. the battery life is also very long lasting.

i have a bushnell trophy red dot and a new battery will not hold a charge for more than 4 days turned off. that POS needs sent back to the factory for testing.