20 members have voted

1. 1. Would the Golani be "better" with a 16" barrel?

• Yes.
    • No.
    • Your poll is insipid and so are you.

Being the kind of guy that just can't leave well enough alone, I'm considering chopping the barrel of my Golani from 19" down to 16".

Keeping in mind that this poll is more out of curiosity than a desire for help in making the decision, what do you's guys think?

Long barrel = higher velocity - never a bad thing with the .22 bullet - but less handy.

Short barrel = lower velocity but more handy.

I'd also appreciate feedback from people with experience shortening barrels about cycling. This rifle cycles 100% with 5.56mm loads but won't reliably cycle some 223 loads. Would I need to open the gas port going from 19" to 16.25" (not including muzzle device)? Of course I haven't tried 223 in it since it was new, and it may have just been that it wasn't broken in yet...

Bad photochop of a bad pic to get an idea what it would look like.

gallery_4831_941_151776.jpg

I have shamelessly stolen this picture from OpRN on uzitalk. He did exactly what I'm thinking of doing...

post-4831-0-77358000-1334460260_thumb.jpg

Edited by XD45

Keep the extra barrel length.

If it's already inconsistent with light loads, shortening the barrel will exacerbate that problem, and you will have to modify the gas system to get it running reliably.

It was made in that barrel length for a reason. Keep it that way....

BTW... is that a Century Golani?

Using that logic nobody should ever modify any firearm...

Yes its a golani. If it was a real Galil I wouldnt think of hacking it.

Well hell, if it's a Golani have at it.

If you fuck it up it will be an improvement over Century's work. Fucking cut the stock off it while you're at it - make a damn pistol out of it....laugh.png

And BTW, it's kinda gay to ask for opinions and then whine you you get one you didn't want to hear...

Edited by Jpanzer

Not sure if it matters to you, but shortening it more than the length of the muzzle device will do away with your ability to mount the bayonet on it. That's assuming you use the same flash hider.

Personally, I'd leave it alone. As was mentioned, if it's not running some rounds now (try shooting them again before shortening), you'll definitely want to mod the gas assembly if you shorten things, unless you plan to run a suppressor.

Good luck either way (and post pics if you mod it).

Edited by Corbin

Well hell, if it's a Golani have at it.

If you fuck it up it will be an improvement over Century's work. Fucking cut the stock off it while you're at it - make a damn pistol out of it....laugh.png

And BTW, it's kinda gay to ask for opinions and then whine you you get one you didn't want to hear...

First of all I made it clear that I don't plan to make my decision based on others opinions. I'm simply curious.

Second, I sincerely apologize for my whining. I merely wished to point out the logical fallacy in your reply. We all modify our guns in some way. At least half of the actual gun-related posts on firearm forums are about modifications. Some of our most respected members make their livings performing modifications for other people. Oops, there I go whining again...

Third, I don't give a fuck what answer I get. See First above.

Fourth, I am fully aware that this is an internet gun forum and therefore populated by opinionated assholes (and I absolutely include myself in that category, but not you of course).

Not sure if it matters to you, but shortening it more than the length of the muzzle device will do away with your ability to mount the bayonet on it. That's assuming you use the same flash hider.

Yes I'm aware that I would lose the ability to mount a bayonet. Not a concern.

Edited by XD45

Well due to the potential of a soft receiver I'm sending the rifle to tenngalil to have him check it over. If the receiver isn't dangerously soft I'll have him tune it up and yes boys and girls, cut the barrel. lol

But please feel free to continue voting. I know that insipid score can go higher...

Chop it, it's just an anemic .22 and there is no collector value in the US repros.

Pretty much sums it up.

Although Im not letting anybody shoot me with anemic 556 bullets.

Chop it, it's just an anemic .22 and there is no collector value in the US repros.

Agree.

Cut it, and while your at it, open up the gas port a few thousandths.

Problem solved.

Since I'm sending to tenngalil anyway I'll let him determine if it needs opened up. Assuming the receiver isnt butter soft crap.

If it is unsafe I'm going full asshole on century. I hear they have sometimes given replacements if a gunsmith certifies it unsafe. I paid $750. I'm not just selling it for parts without a fight.

Edited by XD45
  • Like 1

Pretty much sums it up.

Although Im not letting anybody shoot me with anemic 556 bullets.

That's because you're not a real operator. Real operators' "Plan A" is to take multiple hits to their body armor from a 338LM!

Seriously though, here's hoping for a sound prognosis and fully-functioning outcome.

Leave the barrel alone. That crappy little round needs the length to achieve a decent muzzle energy. wink.png

Looking at velocity vs barrel length with the 5.56 there isn't much difference between 16 and 18, especially with bullets of 62gr and heavier.

I'll take the 30fps hit for the handier length.

The rifle is on it's way to tenngalil now.

And when I get it back... I'm taking my 21" FAL to have it chopped to 18" and add an original Steyr short flash hider. You can't stop me!

Edited by XD45

The good news is the receiver is good. The headspace is very tight and the feed ramp is too low but otherwise good.

So we're gonna fix 'er up and chop that barrel! Add a complete refinish and GTG. :D