thorough saiga .223 barrel cleaning

Im new to AK's and I was wondering if some of you on this forum could share some knowledge of how to properly clean the action, barrel, and gas tube on a SAIGA .223? Any advice will help because the manual that came with my rifle is in mostly Russian and the English part dosen't give a throuogh brake down of cleaning it. Thanks for taking the time to reading this

Welcome to AK world!

First of all, utilize search of this forum (across all calibers' sub-forums), and you find all answers to your questions.

Start with proper field strip/disassembly (and following assembly).

Here is a good guide:

http://www.ar15.com/...FieldStripping/

You can reference US Army AK-47 Manual (see page 37 and up for maintenance/cleaning). More and better quality scans are available, or you can buy printed version.

http://www.ak-47.us/...ak47_usarmy.pdf

I use Hoppe's 9 for years for cleaning and lube, plus Slide-Glide for bolt carrier/bolt/receiver contact surfaces.

You will hear as many opinions on brands, as the number of brands, but it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

AK strip for clean on YouTube (talkative, but illustrative):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4tDK99j4E0&feature=related

Millions more sources available.

Have fun,

Happy Shooting!

P.S. Never skip cleaning the gas tube and gas port. Learn to use Saiga/AK tool kit and utilize it's gas port key.

Edited by Sgt. Raven
  • Like 1

Your gonna want to find a nice long boot lace and tie a knot on one end. Soak it in some 10w30 an run it through the barrel a few times till shiny.

What he said.

Or a boresnake. Either or. Once I used Sweet's, but that was about 4K rounds ago.

(Add-on) I just got J Dewey's coated cable and it's phenomenal!

Ball slides to either end (loop or brush adapter).

I love it.

And their prices, shipping and service is superior.

Cable-228x228.jpg

…..

a nice long boot lace and tie a knot on one end. Soak it in some 10w30 an run it through the barrel a few times…..

So I have been told, that’s exactly how the Afghan Army did it until US troops trained them otherwise.

I don't know.

Sounds like an urban legend to me.

Have you EVER seen (service-grade) AK WITHOUT the cleaning rod?

But if it's true, it makes me wonder about the memory lifespan, since Soviets dumped gazillions or AKs and accessories, and trained tens of thousands of ANA troops, who are at the age of today's recruits' fathers.

I've seen use of animal fat for greasing the bolt/carrier/receiver rails, but luckily was sparred from de-lacing...

ak47_4a.jpg

P.S. BTW: he's got a rod...

P.P.S. ALWAYS remove your gas tube for cleaning of tube and gas port.

S.O.P. in AK's world.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

I found it interesting and learned few new tricks:

How To Properly Clean Your Rifle, Part 1 Want the maximum accuracy and performance from your rifle? Darrell Holland gives you detailed instruction of properly cleaning your rifle so you can get the most out of it on the range or in the field.

By AGI:

http://www.americang...dlesson/?id=47b

However, I prefer following the direction of the bullet and cleaning from the breech side.

I started using bore snakes ir insulated cables. Just drop it in the bore and pull it out the barrel. One direction, and the job gets done quickly.

When I do use a cleaning rod, I insert the rod from the business end, put the brush on in chamber and pull it out in the direction the bullet travels.

Edited by Sgt. Raven

I always try to clean from the breech side of any gun (revolvers and ruger .22s are different). It can really mess with your accuracy if you mess up the crown on the barrel.

Sorry, just my thoughts

• Like 1

I always try to clean from the breech side of any gun (revolvers and ruger .22s are different). It can really mess with your accuracy if you mess up the crown on the barrel.

Sorry, just my thoughts

So TRUE!!! Yes, even an AK has feelings...dont hurt them and if you treat them right they will serve you for a life time!