Who Works On Saigas?

I think I'm out of options locally.

I have a Saiga that I've converted the trigger group to a G2, installed the trigger guard and moved the FCG forward, installed a pistol grip and buttstock.

I am tool-less and need to get some one to do the rest of the restoration:

* Bullet Guide installed, any modding needed to accept AK mags done.

* Retainer installed for "traditional" AK hand gaurds.

* Muzzle thread shroud cut off, if barrel isn't threaded, then thread the barrel and add a detent for the cleaning rod.

So basically, a mock up of the SGL-2161. I may want duracoat or some similiar finish depending on price and which finishing process they offer.

I'm trying to find someone who would do this for a reasonable price, IMO. I'm a little curious what others think this would run, too. I have none of the parts yet, either.

I have a Saiga that I've converted the trigger group to a G2, installed the trigger guard and moved the FCG forward, installed a pistol grip and buttstock.

* Muzzle thread shroud cut off, if barrel isn't threaded, then thread the barrel and add a detent for the cleaning rod.

So basically, a mock up of the SGL-2161. I may want duracoat or some similiar finish depending on price and which finishing process they offer.

I'm trying to find someone who would do this for a reasonable price, IMO. I'm a little curious what others think this would run, too. I have none of the parts yet, either.

All those things are quite easy with hundreds of threads on and can be done with minimal tools of you use a bolt on retainer.

But if you want the most efficient and cheapest route without you getting your hands dirty...sell the saiga and buy an arsenal. Between back and forth shipping and the parts, and cost of gunsmith doing the labor. You'll be at the price of an arsenal from atlanticfirearms.com in no time

• Like 1

All those things are quite easy with hundreds of threads on and can be done with minimal tools of you use a bolt on retainer.

But if you want the most efficient and cheapest route without you getting your hands dirty...sell the saiga and buy an arsenal. Between back and forth shipping and the parts, and cost of gunsmith doing the labor. You'll be at the price of an arsenal from atlanticfirearms.com in no time

Yeah, but when you live in an apartment, buying tools like a drill press can be hard. ;p I also don't have a dremel or pipe threader. To be honest threading the barrel scares the piss out of me, so does tapping and drilling the bullet guide.

I'm thinking if the work is "so easy" SOME gunsmith should be willing to do it without charging $700 bucks.

Yeah, but when you live in an apartment, buying tools like a drill press can be hard. ;p I also don't have a dremel or pipe threader. To be honest threading the barrel scares the piss out of me, so does tapping and drilling the bullet guide.

I'm thinking if the work is "so easy" SOME gunsmith should be willing to do it without charging $700 bucks.

Don't get all snide with me. The work is "so easy" and I didn't Say a gunsmith would charge $700 bucks. What I said was; between parts, shipping, FFL transfers, time and hassle you'd be better off selling the saiga and buying an arsenal if you don't want you to get your hands dirty.

Reading comprehension FTW!!!!!

maybe you could pay a neighbor kid to do the work. Since thats about the skill level required.

Who said anything about needing a drill press? Only tool required would be a dremel with a cut off wheel to cut off the barrel shroud and a cheap cordless drill to tap the bullet guide

I used a drill press on installing my bullet guide... because I had one. It would have been just as easy to do it with a hand drill as long as you aren't blind in both eyes and only have one hand. Get a cheap cordless drill from Harbor Freight, often on sale for under $20. A tap handle is a necessity, you can buy an entire set of cheap Chinese taps and dies while you're there getting the drill. Throw everything away except for the tap handle, or sell it on Craiglist as soon as you're done with it. Also while at HF, pick up one of their cheapy Dremel knockoffs for $9, it will work long enough to grind down the mag latch so you can use the AK mags. Sell it on Craigslist as well. Buy the pipe cutter at HF, cut your shroud back 5/8" and use a cheap chisel (Guess where to buy that at?) to knock off the cut shroud.

Then if nothing else, it won't cost much to have a gunsmith thread the barrel, because you've done the rest of the work.

Grand total for these tools at Harbor Freight would probably be less than $60. OR just get them at your local Walmart for around $80 for some better quality tools.

As others have said, the work you want done will not be cheap.

I recomend selling the Saiga you have and picking up an IZ332 from Atlantic Firearms for $459

It has a traditional AK front end and I bought all of the parts needed to make an SGL-2161 clone for less then $125 shipped

Edited by Boba Debt
  • Like 1

Hey Irish brother. Just try this, go to you tube and look up installing bullet guide on Saiga and then order one of these http://store.carolin...ET-GUIDE/Detail

it comes with the drill bit and tap all you need is to borrow or buy a cheap cordless drill. the you tube vid will show you the procedure, all nastyness aside it it truly a simple process.

Now as far as the hand guard retainers all you need to do is order a new gas tube like this one http://dinzagarms.co...2x39/akgt1.html and a lower retainer like this one http://www.brownells...7000010_d_11003

the gas tube removal can be found on you tube using the key words (Saiga gas tube removal) and the lower retainer is just screwed into place, i know you can do this..then just buy the ak style handgaurd of your choice/color etc. the gas tube and lower retainer are just for installing an original ak47 style handgaurd, just for you info..

Now as far as the barrel threading you might wanna steer away from that and find a local gunsmith you can drive to and have it done to aviod all the FFL B.S.

The painting part can be done with high temp engine paints purchase at your local auto part store and done right in you kitchen with news paper laid out all over the place...If you lived closer i would do this for next to nothing..but really go to you tube and search the vast amount of vids that show all this. One word of caution when tapping the hole for your bullet guide use a T-style tap handle to cut the threads and work it in very slowely with oil going in and out alittle at a time to avoid breaking the tap in the hole....If you need more help just hollar and we can guide you threw this.....

Edited by shootsmuch

Don't get all snide with me. The work is "so easy" and I didn't Say a gunsmith would charge $700 bucks. What I said was; between parts, shipping, FFL transfers, time and hassle you'd be better off selling the saiga and buying an arsenal if you don't want you to get your hands dirty.

Reading comprehension FTW!!!!!

Granted, it can be hard to read certain "tones" into text dialogue on the internet, but if you think, in any way, that I was being snide with you? Then you're a moron. See, now there's no confusion.

I was saying that I wasn't tooled up to do the work and explaining why. Then I made a comment about what people are charging for the work; I never said anything about YOU saying that's what they charged. My comment was not snide at all (unless it was snide toward what gunsmiths charge). Whereas, the comment you made about "hundreds of guides" and what not is a little snide. I know the information is out there, but I still wanted someone to do the work. Sorry if that somehow comes across as snide to your sensitive little disposition, princess. I do wish you luck on your reading comprehension, however.

I used a drill press on installing my bullet guide... because I had one. It would have been just as easy to do it with a hand drill as long as you aren't blind in both eyes and only have one hand. Get a cheap cordless drill from Harbor Freight, often on sale for under $20. A tap handle is a necessity, you can buy an entire set of cheap Chinese taps and dies while you're there getting the drill. Throw everything away except for the tap handle, or sell it on Craiglist as soon as you're done with it. Also while at HF, pick up one of their cheapy Dremel knockoffs for $9, it will work long enough to grind down the mag latch so you can use the AK mags. Sell it on Craigslist as well. Buy the pipe cutter at HF, cut your shroud back 5/8" and use a cheap chisel (Guess where to buy that at?) to knock off the cut shroud.

Then if nothing else, it won't cost much to have a gunsmith thread the barrel, because you've done the rest of the work.

Grand total for these tools at Harbor Freight would probably be less than $60. OR just get them at your local Walmart for around $80 for some better quality tools.

Yeah, I mean, this is the cheapest way to do it myself, I'm sure. And it's even good advice, too. I just know I'll fuck something up (after fucking up the rivets on the trigger plate, I kept walking the drill bit off one of the rivets). In the end I guess I'll most likely need to attempt it myself if I don't want to just buy an SGL-21.

Hey Irish brother. Just try this, go to you tube and look up installing bullet guide on Saiga and then order one of these http://store.carolin...ET-GUIDE/Detail

it comes with the drill bit and tap all you need is to borrow or buy a cheap cordless drill. the you tube vid will show you the procedure, all nastyness aside it it truly a simple process.

Now as far as the hand guard retainers all you need to do is order a new gas tube like this one http://dinzagarms.co...2x39/akgt1.html and a lower retainer like this one http://www.brownells...7000010_d_11003

the gas tube removal can be found on you tube using the key words (Saiga gas tube removal) and the lower retainer is just screwed into place, i know you can do this..then just buy the ak style handgaurd of your choice/color etc. the gas tube and lower retainer are just for installing an original ak47 style handgaurd, just for you info..

Now as far as the barrel threading you might wanna steer away from that and find a local gunsmith you can drive to and have it done to aviod all the FFL B.S.

The painting part can be done with high temp engine paints purchase at your local auto part store and done right in you kitchen with news paper laid out all over the place...If you lived closer i would do this for next to nothing..but really go to you tube and search the vast amount of vids that show all this. One word of caution when tapping the hole for your bullet guide use a T-style tap handle to cut the threads and work it in very slowely with oil going in and out alittle at a time to avoid breaking the tap in the hole....If you need more help just hollar and we can guide you threw this.....

Hey brotha.

Thanks for the constructive advice and links. Like I said above, I may go the DIY route, but I fucked up one of the rivets on the FCG conversion that it makes me wonder about the bullet guide and threading. Meh. I guess I need to just buy some tools piece by piece until I can get started.

As others have said, the work you want done will not be cheap.

I recomend selling the Saiga you have and picking up an IZ332 from Atlantic Firearms for $459

It has a traditional AK front end and I bought all of the parts needed to make an SGL-2161 clone for less then $125 shipped

Yeah, I would have loved to have waited about a year and just bought the 332 instead. I'm too attatched to sell, I think. Worst case scenario, I fuck this rifle up, strip everything off and buy a 332 and start over.

It sounds like you aren't even interested in changing the FSB or gas block. If this is the case, then save your money on an Arsenal and finish it out yourself. All you really need for the rest is the dremel and hand drill. You can get decent ones from a pawn shop for even cheaper than the cheapos from Harbor Freight. If threading the muzzle scares you, then I bet successfully installing the bullet guide will build confidence. Just read the tutorials and plan carefully.

None of it is as scary as it sounds....even if you have NO experience.

Too attached to sell?? Yet your worst case scenario is destroying your $350 rifle that you seem to be so attached too??

Maybe it's time to rethink your plans here and get a better worst case scenario?

As for dickish comments to me I have one reply and only one; don't be all butthurt towards me becuase you cant follow instructions or use tools:)

For your exact situation, the best advice bar none, has already been given. sell the saiga, buy an arsenal or iz332 from atlantic(and do the FCG) and be done

Edited by hutchsaiga

Too attached to sell?? Yet your worst case scenario is destroying your $350 rifle that you seem to be so attached too??

Maybe it's time to rethink your plans here and get a better worst case scenario?

As for dickish comments to me I have one reply and only one; don't be all butthurt towards me becuase you cant follow instructions or use tools:)

For your exact situation, the best advice bar none, has already been given. sell the saiga, buy an arsenal or iz332 from atlantic(and do the FCG) and be done

the rifle was a gift from my father. so, yes, I am attached to it. I'll probably end up attempting the work myself (although not to the full extent of more complete restorations) to avoid a giant price tag from a gunsmith.

As for all the rest. Look chief, if you didn't understand that my first reply to you wasn't in any way, supposed to be rude/mean then I can't help ya. When you reply back that I'm being "snide" and insult my reading comprehension (ironically) then you'll be treated like a douchebag. that's life. Quite frankly? You're the one with the hurt butthole. All that aside, I never denied that the advice was good (and you've given good advice in the past as well). Don't understand the flak but life's too short to worry about it.

please stop with the name calling, youre gunna hurt my feelingsunhappy.gif

but in all seriousness, it woud be plenting easy enough for you to put on a bolt on handguard retainer like the one from www.saiga-ak.co(link not completed due to forum rules) and throw on some AK handguards

boom theres one step done.

now go buy a bullet guide from www.carolinashooterssupplys.com take it and the screw to a local machine shop. id be willing to bet that you can find one in your area, or heck i bet even a mechanic would do it, be desreet(dont just walk in with a gun) call ahead, and take time to carefully explain what you want done, take it in, stand with the nice fellow who will probably charge you 25bucks to drill and tap the hole. then you can redlocktite your bullet guide in and file your mag catch on your own.

now id look for a certified gunsmith to thread the barrel, or even change it out to an ak74 front sight base for you which would probably cheaper.

with this sequence of events you wont have the AK gasblock, but heck many people on this forum don't, and it isnt an immediatly recognizable feature.

so since you have an attachment to your rifle, this would probably be the easiest and cheapest way to get the look you desire

you're welcome004.gif

Oregon, eh?

Theres a 'company' here in Seattle that call themselves Match Grade Industries. I have had the pleasure of holding one of their custom S12s once, it was very nice and looked top notch.

Give it a look, you could possibly send it off to them to work on.

Oregon, eh?

Theres a 'company' here in Seattle that call themselves Match Grade Industries. I have had the pleasure of holding one of their custom S12s once, it was very nice and looked top notch.

Give it a look, you could possibly send it off to them to work on.

Thanks! I'll check them out or go the DIY route.