Progress on Etin Thrasher 4.0

Ok, I know its been about two years since I started this version, but work, surgery and gettting an RPK will do that, lol.

I've got the internals worked out. I'm yet to shoot it as I have a couple of stablizing blocks to put in place and venting to do with a mind towards a few later upgrades, as well as mount a cheek rest/sheild over the receiver. The butt you see is a storage compartment, but am toying with the idea of doing a spare mag holder instead.

LoP is about 16-1/2", which works for me as I'm 6'1" and I can comfortably weild it with a 12rd drum. the Trigger linkage is a thin cable and is set up so it can be changed out in the field without dissasembly, if needed.

Here's the latest pic I have.

post-15573-0-67027500-1335882405_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Rectangular box stock, hence the need(I feel) for the support blocks. Since this pic I've added a rail over the barrel/under the front sight.

Edited by BpS12

Why yes, it is. It fits my hand well and the storage compartment is big enough for everything I need but the rod and oil. I've got one on my RPK now too.

Just a note, I tried the little Chi-com grip that came on my RPK. With it on, I couldn't comfortably hold the shotgun with the 12rnd drum in it. It just didn't have a wide enough profile.

I'm never gonna like a bull-pupped S-12, but I have to admire your perserverance, BpS12!

I look forward to seeing the finished product! 032.gif

I understand, but given the other options, folding stocks, SBSing, etc, this is the best of all worlds, for me at least.

and

Thanks, me too, lol.

How is it for shooting clay or other aerial targets?

I do like the idea of a bullpup if it makes the gun more compact and less clumsy. Many of the pups seem more clumsy to me though. Yours looks pretty good ergonomically, except for the front handhold area. Extruded tube was a clever way to go too. Your sight picture looks pretty natural, and I like the sights you chose. Most of the conversion kits I have seen are good until you get to sighting, then they fall down because you have to hold your head at an awkward angle. Yours looks about right.

I honestly don't know. I've only shot the previous version and then only out to 40yrds at ground targets. I found that follow up shots are quicker as is target acquisition.

As for the "pistol" sight, you do have to cant your head a bit, but I like that better than haveing to dip the barrel off target to keep the sight out of the way. I've got a M16 style Prail mounted handle w/rear sight that I've had on it and it adds alot of weight but seems to mesh well with the flip up front sight. The flip up sights alleiviate the head cant some but I don't care for "ghost rings", lol.

The prail covers make the forend feel similar to a regular shotty. I'm looking to put a stubby foregrip and light on the bottom rail and the side rails may or may not stay on. Nice thing about this build is all the available rail options. You can have as many or as few as you want.

• 3 weeks later...

BpS12, Great looking Pup. Do you have any room to shorten the LOP? The Pup I built have a LOP of 15 1/4 which is perfect for me, since I am only 5' 7". I was thinking of doing a S12 pup in the future.

Edited by Sumsky

Ya, I believe so. But for me, it then rules out useing the minidrum. There's probably an inch or so that the trigger can go back to towards the reciever. But at some point you will limit your pistol grip options. The KVar pg has slot in the bottom of the grip to act as a guide(for x39 mags). Some of the guys on here have rounded of the rear bottom of their pgs to make mag changes easier.

Part of my goal is to make a bullpup kit that is minidrum friendly, unfortunately, arm length may well be an issue for some. I'm 6'1" and with a wide profile grip, I'm good to go. But not the scrawny little AK standard pg.

Ya, I believe so. But for me, it then rules out useing the minidrum. There's probably an inch or so that the trigger can go back to towards the reciever. But at some point you will limit your pistol grip options. The KVar pg has slot in the bottom of the grip to act as a guide(for x39 mags). Some of the guys on here have rounded of the rear bottom of their pgs to make mag changes easier.

Part of my goal is to make a bullpup kit that is minidrum friendly, unfortunately, arm length may well be an issue for some. I'm 6'1" and with a wide profile grip, I'm good to go. But not the scrawny little AK standard pg.

This is not looking good for me if it rules out the mini drum. I have to figure out something. Anything over the 15 is going to be too far of a reach and not too comfortable. One of the reason I like my 7.62x39 pup is because everything is so compact and close to my body, and I can get more accurate follow up shots, the muzzle is a lot more controllable, compared to when it had a buttstock. Thanks for the info.

He made what he wanted, spent less money, didn't get lied too for over 2 years and knew for sure he was going to get it.

I like that. Thats for sure.

Edited by Sumsky

Sumsky, I know what you mean about compact, etc. But think of the bullpup as a shouldered pistol rather than a carbine. Assume your comfertable two hand pistol stance. Where your trigger hand is, is where you want it on your bullpup. The difference is that instead of pushing out as with a pistol, you're pulling in against the stock on your shoulder. I find that the farther out my pg, the more natural the pulling back. The closer in, the less control and I tend to cramp up more because I'm using more muscle to pull back AND hold up/balance the weapon.

For drum use, a great deal depends on the profile of the grip. The wider, the better for reaching around the drum. Can you fit a drum in your x39? If you can, but your grip feels too small to be comfortable, try wrapping it in tape until you get a more comfortable reach around. If you don't have a drum, cut a round plastic tub of comparable size to fit on a mag. You could also do this with out pg attach to you fore end to see what length of pull fits you best and still allows drum use.

Sumsky, I know what you mean about compact, etc. But think of the bullpup as a shouldered pistol rather than a carbine. Assume your comfertable two hand pistol stance. Where your trigger hand is, is where you want it on your bullpup. The difference is that instead of pushing out as with a pistol, you're pulling in against the stock on your shoulder. I find that the farther out my pg, the more natural the pulling back. The closer in, the less control and I tend to cramp up more because I'm using more muscle to pull back AND hold up/balance the weapon.

For drum use, a great deal depends on the profile of the grip. The wider, the better for reaching around the drum. Can you fit a drum in your x39? If you can, but your grip feels too small to be comfortable, try wrapping it in tape until you get a more comfortable reach around. If you don't have a drum, cut a round plastic tub of comparable size to fit on a mag. You could also do this with out pg attach to you fore end to see what length of pull fits you best and still allows drum use.

I did not even think about the shouldered pistol thing. I will try that. I have no clue if a Drum will fit in my 7.62x39, When I was doing all the measurements I did it with a 30 round Mag, I dont own a 7.62 drum.

Dustin, the Kpup is a very good entry level kit. But it is lacking. Custumization is very limited, NO optics rail with the kit, no choice of pg or fg, no forseeable upgrades, etc. Yes, some of these can be rectified(at additional cost), but some can't.

The stock I'm trying to design will start as base kit, much like the Kpup, but have several additional options/later add ons available. Ie, forward mag release, foreword BHO assist, ambi-charging handle, up to 5rail options, base plate/storage compartment/spare mag butt options, a quick detach receiver cover and whatever else I can work into the design.

Even if I decide not to manufature the kit, I will draw up and make the plans available. At the least.

So, yes, go ahead and get the Kpup, enjoy it.

Edited by BpS12
  • Like 1

He made what he wanted, spent less money, didn't get lied too for over 2 years and knew for sure he was going to get it.

Thank you, but I am trying to do this with what everyone else seems to want as well. Thats part of the reason its taking so damn long, lol. That and the fact that this is not my primary job. Or even in the top three, lol.

You've still beat Bjorn on his build.

For what it's worth, I've been tinkering on one of mine for 4 years now and I can't really call it done yet.

Lol, actually, no. Its been two years or so since I started drawing up plans for this build. And will likely be another 6months or so before I'm satisfied with it.

But I know what you mean. Tweaking seems to be a side effect of bullpuping, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, I'll see what I can do. I'm working on it this weekend and have worked out a trigger bar connect rather than the cable. Also, if it works, a flushmout "magwell" for straight up/down mag insert/release.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Those angles are pretty touchy to small variations. I recommend using a production magwell if you are going to do that. You could easily make up the cost in messed up magazines and frustration trying to get that right by trial and error.