Trouble Installing Gen2 TWS Dog Leg Rail

I've just completed the majority of my conversion and I had a HUGE issue installing the retainer clip to the hinge pin that goes through the rear sight base for the Texas Weapon System Generation 2 Dog leg Rail.

It would appear as if the retainer clip was totally on there for good then the clip would pop off. After the clip popped off several times I would have a hell trying to locate the pin on the floor cause it was so tiny. My problem is that I'm afraid it will pop off while I'm using it.

Question 1) I'm curious has any one else had a crazy time to get the retainer clip to stay in place?

Question 2) Any recommendations for alternate fixes to this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to all feedback.

post-42173-0-55653800-1336359145_thumb.jpg

Sorry to be no assistance. I had zero problem installing and it stayed installed. Only issue was I put the retainer pin in backwards which precluded disassembly. Reversed it and no issues to date. Good luck on finding your resolution. I used a small needle nose plier to install the clip and held my mouth just right. Might try a new clip as your may be bent out of shape after your issues. Best I got.

I can't believe you said, "Hold your mouth right." I haven't heard that in forever. Hilarious!!! I'm curious if there is a low profile screw head that i would be able to use in its place. Currently the retainer clip is still on the hinge pin solid, but it popping off again is always gonna be in the back of my mind because of how much difficulty I had installing it. I'm just afraid that if I replaced it with a low profile screw that it would look bulky like a frankenstein patch job.

I've just completed the majority of my conversion and I had a HUGE issue installing the retainer clip to the hinge pin that goes through the rear sight base for the Texas Weapon System Generation 2 Dog leg Rail.

It would appear as if the retainer clip was totally on there for good then the clip would pop off. After the clip popped off several times I would have a hell trying to locate the pin on the floor cause it was so tiny. My problem is that I'm afraid it will pop off while I'm using it.

Question 1) I'm curious has any one else had a crazy time to get the retainer clip to stay in place?

Question 2) Any recommendations for alternate fixes to this problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm open to all feedback.

post-42173-0-55653800-1336359145_thumb.jpg

run it without it, mine came off very early after install (and lost it) and the pin has not moved at all. the pressure of the leaf spring will keep it in there, lots of rounds (5.45) been thru it too.

• Like 1

Adjc that is not good that it popped off your rifle, however it is good news to know that Im not the only one to have this problem. Mine was a bitch to get on. Im gonna still try to get another c clip to see if that works as was suggested by dad2142dad.

Thanks guys.

I could not install mine as the pin head is too thick and not enough room to clip it. I have ran mine without it for few thousand rounds and haven't had any issues so far. Please share with us if you come up with any solution

I had the same problem, we all 'should' lay the problem back on TWS, but it seems kinda petty to complain about something so insignificent

. I used a hillbilly approach and put a dab of silicon on the e-clip side.

good to know I'm not the only one with this issue. i'm sure enuf people have complained about this issue so that it will be addressed when the Generation 3 comes out (if there are plans for such a thing).

Like i said before, mine is still on there solid, i'm just worried about it popping off again. I probably will look into do it yourself fixes to rectify the situation.

I had heard of this happening, but I have also heard that even with the e-clip gone, the pin will not move under spring pressure.

But, I already decided on a contingency should this become an issue for me.

I would make a new longer pin from drill rod and cross drill it for cotter pins.

with the variations in manufacturing AKs, that makes them ridiculously reliable, it would be unrealistic to fabricate an aftermarket part that will fit 100% of every AK out there.

I have had zero issues with mine though

Putting a C clip on really shouldn't be that difficult unless it is bent or the pin its going on isn't out far enough.

If it makes you feel better, the designer stated that the clip really is not necessary but was added just to over engineer it. The pin should not move even without the clip.

My issue with installing the TWS top cover was that it took a lot of fitting to get on my saiga. Such is life with AKs and 1911s though.

The problem with the c clip is that it must be installed close as possible to the rear sight base, so that when it hinges open and closes it can maintain zero with a rifle scope. I know the rear leaf spring tension will keep it in place but since the c clip was delivered with the TWS dogleg rail it should be installed permanently and not pop off. Don't get me wrong I love the TWS equipment but the c clip problem has me concerned. My weapon is still fully operational and has been thru several hundred rounds with the c clip staying in place, I'm just worried it will pop off later down the road. I know they added the c clip for a reason and I think it should remain intact on the rifle it is installed upon.

Still looking for recommendations for a alternate solution to fixing the c clip staying permanently attached???

Solid piece of equipment that is reliable. My only concern was with the c clip staying installed on the hinge pin without popping off. I would buy the TWS rail if I were you. Its alot smaller and lightweight than other rail systems that are used to convert an AK into a AR style flat top.

• 2 months later...

I am reviving this thread, as I have encountered the same problem. Installed the TWS with no issues. The retaining clip was solidly engaged into the groove of the pin, went to the range, came home, and no retaining clip.

The issue I have is the instructions I used from the website said to remove the sight leaf spring and that it wasn't necessary. As a result, my hinge pin is very loose and will fall out. I will replace the leaf spring and see if the tension helps. I haven't been able to locate a properly sized retaining clip yet. I am thinking of just replacing the entire pin and clip assembly with something I fabricate myself.

I love the fit and looks of the TWS and am still happy with the purchase, but for the price of the unit, TWS should be addressing the problem for current users as well as any future generation of the model.

Update and edited for my stupidity:

Checked the instructions that came with the rail and it explicitly say that the leaf spring is reused; even talks about adjusting it if necessary.

LOL I'm an idiot! Guess I found an unofficial install video on the net, and in typical guy fashion ignored the written instruction that came with it. I am not worried about the pin now that there is tension on it!

Edited by Spacehog

My clip is still on solid three months after this thread started. I've seen a few other articles with people having the same problem of the clip falling off. Each article says the clip isn't necessary because of the spring tension. If you fabricate something of your own please post some pics.

• Like 1

I removed my spring and bent it a little to relax the tension. Replaced the spring and the pin went in very easily and there is a little tension on the pin to hold it if the retainer falls off. The problem I did have was installing the release latch. I had to file the latch and the rear reciever just a little to get to slide in. In fact it's still a little tight and wont fully engage when I drop the dust cover. I end up having to rack the bolt a few times to get it to fully extend. Still love this cover.