Muzzle Device Discussion and Suggestions

hey! it looks like I'm going to attempt finishing the restoration I started by myself.

I'm waiting for the HG retainer I want to come back in stock, so it looks like i'm on to the muzzle. I'm going to try to cut the shroud after I do the bullet guide/mag catch file.

I think my muzzle is threaded which means it should be 14mm LHT. My problem is going to be 922® compliance (I've been using US mags up until now so I've had three extra parts). but after I start using foreign mags I need to most likely get a US muzzle device since I have a Russian HG set, Russian receiver and trunion, russian bolt and rod, and Russian/Bulgarian/Chinese mags. Which sucks because I wanted a legit 74 brake since I hear they're the ones that really help reduce muzzle climb.

so I'm way more eager to get a muzzle brake than a flash hider (but I certainly don't mind if it tries to hide flash as long as it's a great brake). I guess I want the options of the best possible US brakes that I could either use the adapter on or stay with 14mm. Any suggestions?

And to clarify my info, I could press off the FSB and put on a Bulgarian FSB with 24mm theads and gain the ability to have a bayo and cleaning rod, right? I'd still need to use a US brake for compliance, but I might be interested in using a Bulgy FSB if it means I get to use a bayo and cleaning rod.

So my questions come down to which one to choose. What brake? Should I press off the FSB, if so what should I replace it with and use for a brake?

if your that worried about 922r, just replace the gas piston and get the foreign made muzzle device. You could also replace the follower or floor plate on your magazines

isn't the gas piston a bitch to replace? are there any good universal US made followers or floor plates you'd suggest?

if your that worried about 922r, just replace the gas piston and get the foreign made muzzle device. You could also replace the follower or floor plate on your magazines

isn't the gas piston a bitch to replace? are there any good universal US made followers or floor plates you'd suggest?

Piston is pretty easy. Just make sure you measure first and thread the new one do it is the same length as factory. Drill out dimple, unthread, thread on new one and drill and pin it.

Staying 14mm is probably a good a idea if the barrel is threaded already. Good, functional, brakes in that thread are slant brake, tapco slot brake, and battle comp. the first two being your cheapest options

WOW!!! Just checked out the selection that Battlecomp has and I gotta say those look nice as hell, but the price tag is $150. Thats brutal!!! I would have a hard time parting with that much for a muzzle device considering the other options that are out there. You could check out what Primary Weapons System has for about $50 cheaper. http://reds-trading-post.amazonwebstore.com/Primary-Weapons-Systems-AK-PWS-FSC47/M/B00415U21M.htm?traffic_src=froogle&utm_medium=CSE&utm_source=froogle

WOW!!! Just checked out the selection that Battlecomp has and I gotta say those look nice as hell, but the price tag is $150. Thats brutal!!! I would have a hard time parting with that much for a muzzle device considering the other options that are out there. You could check out what Primary Weapons System has for about $50 cheaper. http://reds-trading-..._source=froogle

While some parts are expensive, they are well worth it. I have kicked myself more than once for getting something cheaper, and then replacing it with the more expensive part later on.

• Like 1

WOW!!! Just checked out the selection that Battlecomp has and I gotta say those look nice as hell, but the price tag is $150. Thats brutal!!! I would have a hard time parting with that much for a muzzle device considering the other options that are out there. You could check out what Primary Weapons System has for about $50 cheaper. http://reds-trading-..._source=froogle

He asked for the best possible, and the FSC is not it. Similar muzzle rise compensation, but more blast and noise, and likely more flash.

I shot near a guy with an PWS FSC on his HK91 clone, and it was absolutely punishing to anyone within 5 or 6 lanes. In contrast, the Battlecomp on my S308 is loud, but manageable.

Edited by Jim Digriz

He asked for the best possible, and the FSC is not it. Similar muzzle rise compensation, but more blast and noise, and likely more flash.

I shot near a guy with an PWS FSC on his HK91 clone, and it was absolutely punishing to anyone within 5 or 6 lanes. In contrast, the Battlecomp on my S308 is loud, but manageable.

Well the PWS FSC is a flash suppressor, not a muzzle brake.

I'd be looking at the JTac47, most likely. I did ask for the best possible, and I knew the battlecomp would come up, but I thought it was better than asking for the "next to the best." There's no way I would spend that much on my AK for one piece (unless it was my only rifle, I have others to fund, you know?). My mistake in not being clearer.

It's primary a compensator. From their website:

"The Flash Suppressing Compensator (FSC) series of muzzle devices from PWS provides superior compensation characteristics combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight."

Edited by Jim Digriz

It's primary a compensator. From their website:

"The Flash Suppressing Compensator (FSC) series of muzzle devices from PWS provides superior compensation characteristics combined with enough flash suppression to keep the flash out of your optics and line of sight."

From their website on the FSC47: "A flash suppressing compensator for the AK47 Series Rifles"

For the JTac47: "A highly effective recoil compensator for the the AK-47 in 7.62x39."

and for what it's worth, you said a dude guy had it on his HK91, the only one they have for that reads: "The flash suppressing compensator for the HK91 series rifles"

css specs has metal us made floorplates

thanks! too bad I just ordered from them though, I could have made the shipping a bit more worthwhile.

The name of the post is "MUZZLE DEVICE...". I was trying to provide valid feedback. I didn't know the post would be dissected as to what is a brake and what is a flash suppressor. Nuff said!!!

just checking, you don't think I was giving you any flak, do you? My FSC comments weren't directed at you.

I use the pws fsc and I can say it works. I like it and Im happy with it for the most part. I will say it is fuckin LOUD though. I have had an easier time keeping on target during rapid fire, with some practice. And when on the bench, locked in, shooting long, the point of aim barely moves. The flash killing ability isnt bad either.

I would recommend it, unless you have the money to get the battlecomp.

There are really not many choices in this area. 3 or 4 good ones at best.

I use the pws fsc and I can say it works. I like it and Im happy with it for the most part. I will say it is fuckin LOUD though. I have had an easier time keeping on target during rapid fire, with some practice. And when on the bench, locked in, shooting long, the point of aim barely moves. The flash killing ability isnt bad either.

I would recommend it, unless you have the money to get the battlecomp.

There are really not many choices in this area. 3 or 4 good ones at best.

yeah, I think I'm sold.

Best? I would opine that a battle comp is best. It is also not cheap. Most report it does a better job with flash than other brakes. I have plans to add one to my 308. For my x39 I prefer a pure flash hider.

The FSC is the second one you see many people recommending. I would be really interested in seeing a comparison between it and the CNC warrior one.

Best? I would opine that a battle comp is best. It is also not cheap. Most report it does a better job with flash than other brakes. I have plans to add one to my 308. For my x39 I prefer a pure flash hider.

The FSC is the second one you see many people recommending. I would be really interested in seeing a comparison between it and the CNC warrior one.

well I think I'm leaning toward the "Night Brake" for now (I'll probably end up with both the FSC and Night Brake eventually). I figured Battlecomp would win, but I wanted to keep it open. Too bad it's so much. probably really eliminates it as an option for most people.