How do you aim a red dot?

I've got a red dot scope on my S223. The one where the dot is on the inside of the scope, not sure if that's a red dot scope. But it's the "redhead pursuit".

Anyway I went to the range yesterday and it was impossible to get on paper at 100 yards. And I'm thinking it's the way I look through it. Even if it's just slightly off, the way I look through it, the POA will be off. I'm using a UTI side mount, and the redhead pursuit red dot.

They arnt, should I open them both?

Absolutely. Next time you're at the range, focus on your target with both eyes open. Bring your weapon up and shoulder it while still focusing on the target. The dot will cover the target and then you can fire.

Do you know how to use iron sights, have you taken some formal shooting classes like threw appleseed if you havent you should instead of buying new gadgets that will not fix lack of skill, and fundamentals.

Excellent point. People really need to become proficient with the basics first before moving onto other optics.

By the way appleseed is free and they will teach you how to shoot properly, nearly free range fees are included. I love going to the range and seeing all these guys with nice weapons that cant hit shit.

Edit, you can join the cmp and atend one of there camps and be trained by real army snipers, and there marksmanship team and you dont even pay for ammo. Or you can pay smokey joe 1000 for inferior training and by some more optics.

Edited by donald

They way you look through the optic is probably not the cause of your problem. Your scope should not have parallax problems at that range. While keeping both eyes open is good general advice, any minute problems with eye dominance are likely to be exacerbated by keeping the subordinate eye open.

Assuming you haven't already, try getting on paper at 25 yards as mancat suggested. Even an 8.5x11 inch target paper should show hits at that range. If the aiming device is so out of alignment that it doesn't, then I will aim at the center of each of the edges of the target paper.

If I remember my sight-in rule of thumb for ARs, if your POI is an inch lower than your POA at 25 yards, they should be pretty close when you move to 100.

Can I use iron sights?

Yea, I can. The reason for the red dot is because the FSB was replaced with a Bulgarian 74 FSB and the FSB the front sight post is broken.

My SKS, M9130, PMKMS are all iron sighs. And it's not fixing lack of skill, it's fixing the lack of a functioning front sight base. Good try Donald.

As for 25 yards, I wanted to but all the 25-75 yards were taken.

OP, do you have a shooting buddy to be a spotter?

They are a BIG help in getting a sight to come in as few a shots as 10.

With a spotter I can get on paper in as little as 10 shots at 100 yrds if you can see the bulliet hit.

Or maybe try using the laser bore sighters to "rough" it in. I use one on anything I have a red dot or scope on. I stand in my living room, point it down the hall at the back wall and adjust. I have always found that left/right was alomost dead on, but up/down, it was good enough for 25 or 50 yard paper, zero it at 50 then move to 100. Since I can't see worth a crap, evrything I have, has a scope, only a few red dots, but they are dead on at 50-75, mostly 9mm, 38 & 357.

• Like 1

My dad was my spotter but even he couldn't see it, it wasn't even on paper and the dirt getting thrown up behind the target wasn't showing me anything. I got my S308 sighted in in about 10 shots but this dammed 223 haha.

And I don't have a bore sighter but I have have a mind to get when when I have the money. I have a caliber specific for my 308 but I think I'll pick up the one that works everything from 22-50. So I can use em on all my rifles

Do they let you shoot rifles on the pistol range? If so shoot at the 10 yard target and see where you are. Adjust. Push back to 25. Adjust. Goto 100. Make final adjustments. Done.

I shoot in the desert and I've had my scopes be off paper at both 100, and sometimes even 25. So I just always go really close when I install a new scope. Works great.

well, if you can see the top of the front sight post through the red dot, shoulder it like you normally do and just put the dot on top of the post. This does require the irons to be sighted in already, but once thats done, you should be good to go.

well, if you can see the top of the front sight post through the red dot, shoulder it like you normally do and just put the dot on top of the post. This does require the irons to be sighted in already, but once thats done, you should be good to go.

If it's a co-witness mount, that's a good way to do it, but might make it really off if the scope is mounted above the sights. I actually used the co-witness trick when I re-adjusted my AR-180B front sight block, so it does work for certain setups.

However, if Nick has a gun vise or some sandbags and a friend, he could hold the gun on target by using the iron sights and then adjust the red dot to the target.

for sure! this would only really work if you could co-witness through the red dot. If you cant see the front sight when you look into the scope, you have to tune it by putting rounds on paper. which is never a bad thing :)

I think Nick did say that he could see the top third of the front sight post thru his red dot, so putting it on sandbags to hold it steady while he oriented the dot would work well. I didn't even think of doing that...

Where I go to its 25 yards is the shortest distance you can shoot rifles. I hope I can get on paper at 25 hahah

I have found that the 25 yard mark is about right for getting in the ballpark on paper. There is a slight arc that on most rounds (not sure about .223) comes pretty close on the 100 yard mark after tweeking it at 25 yards.

set your iron sights, put your rifle in a stable position with your red dot mounted, line up your red dot with your point of aim on your irons that you seem to aim from. make sure you set it at least 20yds away. dial in your red dot to where your POI would be, and go from there. it all depends on how far away your target is and where you want your zero. it should at least get you on paper at 100.

for actual scopes i want one of these. http://leupold.com/h...ed-boresighter/ havent tried one yet, but still want to.

Edited by Captain Hero