New Guy Here!

I am brand new to this forum and have some simple questions to ask from competitors using the saiga 12.

1. What brand of Saiga should I look into?

2. Common barrel lengths?

3. Converted already or mod myself?

4. Which brands are plagued with problems or hard modifications?

I know the search button is my friend by I absolutely know NOTHING about this platform and the jargon confuses me. I come from a long handgun background in USPSA and IDPA..so competition shotguns are new to me. Again, all my questions are competition based....not defensive.

I recently took a look at some comp shotguns from RandR Targets...but damn! 3K for one?

Thanks for the advice you can point me to link wise or even to another user who is willing to discuss it with me.

1. I'd go with Izhmash. Any other manufacturer is bound to give you problems.

2. 19" and 24" from the factory, the 24" may be a little harder to find.

3. Depends on price and your level of experience. I bought one already converted and got lucky with a quality gun. Doing the work yourself ensures (up to your skill) that the job is done right. It is not an overly complicated process and takes 2-3 hours with the right tools.

4. Again, Izhmash is the only brand you should look at. If you find any other manufacturers, please post them here. If you're asking about magazines, the only red flag is promag stick mags and the Alliance Arms 30 round wraithmaker doorstop.

Don't pay more than $600 or so for an unconverted S-12. Clarke Arms (a business member here) sells them for $599.

This forum is the best place to find information about the platform. The search function is definitely your friend, but if you can't find anything, new topics are welcome.

Welcome to the forum!

Welcome and good luck on your new shotty.

I had mine converted by JT Engineering well worth the money and his turn around is pretty fast. He makes some replacement parts that are better than factory. I got my parts from Carolina Shooter Supply and shipped them to him along with the gun. Did not take long and his work is top notch. bad_smile.gif

I made the swithch to Saiga when I got stomped by a guy with one at a local run what you brung match. The truth hurts but I'll take it. Seeems to be good people here, I may have just ran into my first idiot. I got good advise here though.

Edited by 45Bretired
  • Like 1

Welcome to the forum. First, start reading the stickies. There's a huge amount of information there that will answer all kinds of questions about Saigas.

• 4 weeks later...

I made the swithch to Saiga when I got stomped by a guy with one at a local run what you brung match. The truth hurts but I'll take it. Seeems to be good people here, I may have just ran into my first idiot. I got good advise here though.

Most people just say "unfair" and insist that somehow their 870 is superior. You sir, have sense to see things as they are and adapt accordingly. Someday something will absolutely outclass the saiga 12. I wonder how many of us early adopters will be able to look past our fondness for the platform.

It was a Benelli not an 870 I was shooting lol. No excuses the built S12 out classed it. I shot well so did the S12 guy. He let me play with it after the match and I was sold.