There are numerous folks who sell FCG's for the S12.

But oddly most of what I see are guys using the Tapco set up which requires mods and grinding and such.

As I understand it, others do not and are drop in ready.

Am I missing something here, is there some other differences that makes the tapco preferable?

Seems like on one would want to do extra work just to be doing it?

your thoughts,?

Mike

The tromix for example is just the tapco pre-modded.

You already get a template with the gun. (The original hammer) So if one possesses a grinder of some sort. Cloning it with a basic tapco fcg is a matter of minutes.

The choice is yours obviously.

But I would never drop a G2 straight in without doing a few things I now do to all of them... so... for me. What's an extra 10 minutes of grinding? Its not even worth the $5-10 difference.

• Like 1

There's a good ol' boy out there runnin a company called Texas AK Triggers. Double hook, and polished up real nice. I love it and so do my fellow range officers. It pulls so smoothly it's almost like a 1911 trigger, but with travel... lol

Sorry that wasn't exactly what you were asking, I just wanted to take the chance to get guy some exposure lol

• Like 1

The only thing about it I hadn't accounted for when I first put it in was the lil cut in the front of the opening in the reciever that the trigger comes out of. That allows the single hook to rotate forward, if you use a double hook you need to take a small grinding cone and make another groove on the other side of that port.

Lol so just make sure you make that cut before you reassemble, it'll go in just fine until you try to pull the trigger

I'm not going to get into the details of exactly why, but I modded my own G2s until recently when I got access to a mill and made my first set. I had been thinking about the design for a while and it was based on the shortcomings of the Arsenal and Tapco sets, and other things. Takes me a long time to make, but I can't find anything like it, so I'm stuck making them for myself.

tell me more LOL

what is it that you do, details details.

Thanks buddy, m

I can't. I may sell it to Tapco or have a local company produce a rough version for me that can be sold and used as-is or refined by me for a few more $. I have started sorting out legal details, but funding is tight, so it is going to be a while. Bringing things to market brings a stiff financial hit before the first $1 is made. A business membership here is looking like the smallest investment I will have to make, lol.

I've got a double-hook AK trigger.. in a rifle and receiver that was designed for it; my SA M-7 Classic. The reason this rifle uses it is because that was the standard commie design back in the 50's when milled receiver AKs were the norm.

One of the design refinements the Russkies introduced with the AKM was the single-hook trigger. The only reason that they were double-hook in the first place was for redundancy, but over a decade of hard military use, they discovered that the second hook really was unnecessary and eliminated it.

For a modern Kalashnikov pattern long gun; e.g. the S-12, I do not recommend modding the receiver to accomodate an obsolete trigger design. ;)

ymmv.

Wow all good info guys and Evil, I hope that deal works out, very best of luck to you on that.

Some of these comments have caused me to ask the obvious question.

what IS wrong with using the original trigger moved forward with perhaps better springs?

Is there something about the hammer itself or trigger or disconnect that is lacking?

The grade of metal or the level of finish or polish?

And what keeps a guy from just moding his trigger group and polishing it up and having it work just as well??

Not really a big expense here to buy a FCG but the question still needs to be asked.

mike

• Like 1

You can move up the FCG when you convert and you won't have any problems. The Tapco G2 FCG is designed for AK style receivers without a BHO, so the right sight of the hammer's base needs to have about an eighth of an inch, maybe more removed and polished (where the pin goes through and the hammer rotates on, I can't remember the name of that specific part). If you buy the FCG from Tromix, that is already done, along with polishing. The OEM hammer spring works fine, and is already fitted for the S12's BHO. I had to modify the spring I bought so it wouldn't be pushed off the trigger by the BHO.

Nothing is WRONG with the OEM FCG, the only benefits to buying different parts is 922R compliance, preference, and smoother function. There was a huge difference the OEM FCG and Tromix's Tapco G2 FCG (*EDIT: I had the new spring with the Tapco G2 FCG as well, which was a game changer), but I did not polish the OEM FCG at all, so that may have been the issue. I don't have the tools to do the work and, quite frankly, it was easier for me just to buy the Tromix FCG.

Edited by Kylsix

Wow really good information.

The compliance thing is enough for me actually.

But you know, I've aways had questions about the BHO.

I see where some guys cut a notch in the safety for the BHO feature.

If this is done, does a guy even need the factory internal BHO?

Is there a pro and con to having it or keeping it?

Does it add to the drag on anything or cause other issues?

thanks, mike

I cut the BHO to allow the safety to be removed or installed independent of the fcg. I also rounded off the lever that sticks out of the receiver because with the fcg moved forward it is kinda in the way of your hand. I reduced its width by half rounding it back towards the stock.

I've cut a safety lever on a rifle to do the BHO. But the factory BHO lever in the S12 is more convenient IMO. It's a huge GD MF'ing pain to get back in there right... but I like it. And mine hasn't given me any trouble either.

Some visual.

IMG_20120530_211143.jpg

Edited by Asmodeus

Hey I like that and what you have done.

For me the whole saftey thing is a PITA anyway. I am looking into right now eliminating it and installing a simple Remington 870 type button set up.

I hate the way the safety scores the side of the receiver and its hard to manipulate unless you add to it or have it moded with an extra tab.

But I like that BHO mod you did to the tab and I will be doing something like that, looks good.

I've seen this talked about before with being able to remove the safety independent of the FCG.

Is there a tutorial on this somwhere, it sounds like a great idea?

The safety on AK style receivers also doubles as a dust cover, also another reason I wouldn't use it as a BHO (unless your only shooting option is a range that doesn't let you use spent cartridge to keep the bolt from closing). Dust isn't a huge deal, but small rocks or other debris getting in there while trudging through the bush can start to cause problems if that isn't there. I do agree that the safety on AK style weapons isn't ideal, especially for hunting and tactical situations where you want that safety off coming up, but back on going down, but don't want to move your hand away from the trigger. If you have tactical use in mind for the Saiga, fitting an 870 safety might be a good idea. I have NO idea how that would be done, but if you find a way, I would be interested as hell in seeing it.

Per dinzags info page.

s12-bho_safety-cut.jpg

What I did tho is lay the bho lever in position with the safety lever removed. Threw a cross pin in to kinda keep it where it was supposed to be and looked through the safety lever hole. While pushing the bho tab to raise it all the way up. Hit it with a blue sharpie... And... Theres your template. So I knocked all the blue out with a fine cutoff wheel on a dremel. Cleaned up everything I hit. Layed it back in place so I could fish the safety lever through. Then pulled it back out to do the tab mod. I used a small sanding drum Layed in hard on that corner to give it the rounded inset, then rolled it over the leading edge by hand to smooth the curve.

While i was in there I hit the side tab the bho springs sits against with the fine cut off wheel to create a wire thick notch for it to sit in. It doesn't move at all once installed. There's no way it's jumping off.

I dont have a picture of that but I wold definitely do it.

Edited by Asmodeus

Per dinzags info page.

s12-bho_safety-cut.jpg

What I did tho is lay the bho lever in position with the safety lever removed. Threw a cross pin in to kinda keep it where it was supposed to be and looked through the safety lever hole. While pushing the bho tab to raise it all the way up. Hit it with a blue sharpie... And... Theres your template. So I knocked all the blue out with a fine cutoff wheel on a dremel. Cleaned up everything I hit. Layed it back in place so I could fish the safety lever through. Then pulled it back out to do the tab mod. I used a small sanding drum Layed in hard on that corner to give it the rounded inset, then rolled it over the leading edge by hand to smooth the curve.

While i was in there I hit the side tab the bho springs sits against with the fine cut off wheel to create a wire thick notch for it to sit in. It doesn't move at all once installed. There's no way it's jumping off.

I dont have a picture of that but I wold definitely do it.

hey thanks for the heads up on all that, and that will help.

On the issue of the 870 style safety KYLSIX asked about, its been done and if you want to see a picture of it, I have one sent to my by

Jack at JT Engineering co. Shoot me an email and I will be happy to share, but he does them all the time and they look very nice.

mike xxlfitness@yahoo.com

I guess I'm in the minority of all minorities, before I SBS'd mine, I used the original disconnecter, hammer that was already modified, took a AK trigger from a parts kit I have laying around, slightly modified it using the one that came with the firearm as a guide. total cost = 0 dollars.

and before anybody starts the 922R!, 922R!, 922R! chant. I had enough US parts installed (6) that I didn't need to use a US made FCG.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

Wowz....

post-22401-0-95253900-1340925371.jpg

Eek... I didn't go anywhere near that far... I'd be afraid that top portion would eventually start to creep up and start jamming the gun.

That's why I just used the hole in the receiver for the safety lever as a guide.

But the picture shows what your going to be doing.

I want to see this 870 safety mod.

Edited by Asmodeus

I used the original disconnecter, hammer that was already modified, took a AK trigger from a parts kit I have laying around, slightly modified it using the one that came with the firearm as a guide. total cost = 0 dollars.

I did the same thing with my s12. I have enough parts for 922r that all I needed was the trigger, I still use the factory hammer and disconnect.

Edited by Vance665