Custom Work Requested...

With the possible release of available/affordable magazines sometime in the near future, I was curious if anyone would be kind enough to tackle another project that would benefit all of us S12 lovers: Magazine Clamps!

I've been informed that you can use mag-clamps for other guns and rig them to work with the S12 magazines, something about bending and grinding them, but I'm about as mechanically gifted as a jar of mayonaise, so probably not the best idea for me to try this. Also, to my knowledge these clamps only work for clamping two magazines together, and let's be honest, we really need 27rnds at our finger tips, not just 18. Three magazines just looks cooler than two...

Does anyone feel that they could help out? I would be happy to pay for labor, headache, and parts up-front (within reason), so long as the following specifications are met.

1) CLAMP MUST HOLD 3 MAGAZINES-if i really felt like it, i could probably cheaply make the 2-clamper from rigging up other gun magazines to work for the S12. I don't want that, I want a legit 3-magazine clamp. (unless the magazine lips are too soft to withstand the torque)

2) CLAMP MUST BE DURABLE-when an outside-magazine is seated in the gun, the middle and opposite mag will generate a lot of torque, thus the clamp must not bend when unbalanced

3) CLAMP MUST NOT HURT MAGAZINES-since the mags are plastic, we can't have them being crushed by a magazine clamp, but it needs to clamp firmly...tricky.

4) CLAMP MUST NOT BE UGLY/LOOK CHEAP-these guns are as much a work of art as a firearm, so I want something that looks like it belongs on my Saiga. I'm not picky, I just don't want a bunch of grinder marks or the like easily visible.

5) ADDED BONUS-if the clamp could fit 5rnd/8rnd russian mags & new USA mags

I have no idea how tough a project this would be, so I don't even know if it's a feasible idea. If you think you can make me 3-5 clamps for personal use, that'd be great! If instead you would have to set something up to mass produce clamps, let me know and I would be happy to discuss funding the endeavor.

Lastly-we've all seen where these posts can lead. Everyone saying "I want some, add me to the interest list, I'll pay today". I don't want this thread to be a bandwagon that everyone hops on, I want it to be a discussion about if mag-clamps are a feasible idea.

Can the magazine lips stand the torque? Will the gun be too horribly balanced with two magazines hanging to one side. Can plastic magazines be clamped and stable without cracking them? Do mag clamps have to be mass produced (ie cast) or can they be manufactured individually? Can one magazine clamp work for any size magazine (russian 5/8, usa10)?

So no runaway posts...

Thanks a lot, and I look forward to any ideas y'all can come up with.

These will work, all you have to do is get a longer screw:

http://www.blackjackbuffers.com/images/Image053.jpg

You could put a pair of mags together using 2 couplers, then add a third mag using 2 more couplers.

But I think it would be easier to carry 2 pairs of coupled mags than one group of 3 mags. So then you would have 36 rounds instead of 27. And this will be good as long as you are not on fire, or trying to swim.

You could put a pair of mags together using 2 couplers, then add a third mag using 2 more couplers.

If you wanted to geterdone, this would be the route I'd take first.

I don't like the idea for several reasons, all just my opinion.

First off, I find the 2somes to be ungainly enough. They become hard to grasp.

Second, mag changes on the clock are easy enough to "blow" and this increases that risk.

Third, If you are doing this for speed, I'd think you've gone past optimal (2 mags) and might be slowing yourself down. As was said above, 2 sets of doubles are more rounds and likely faster than a single triple. I'd be willing to bet that 48/54 rounds are faster from 3 doubles than 2 triples.

Lastly, and most importantly, I'd say that you'd be putting too much stress on the mag tops. Especially the outboard mags. Under recoil they'd be stressed in multiple directions.

I tested Buffertech's cinches some time back, and still have the original. That thing is absolutly rock solid, even ~ 1 year later!

So, you might run this by him, or think about doubling up .

Without a doubt, this would be a VERY cool look, think of all the jaws dropping!

Infact, why not go to 4 or 5 or 6!. :super::haha:

Great, thanks y'all. I wasn't quite sure if 3 would be too many, but I will side with y'all and say that it'd be too ungainly and actually slow me down more than help me. If only Beta-Cs were available...anyone want to take on that project? :haha:

I'll check into the cinches y'all listed, thanks for the info! And this will save me money enough to pick up an S20. :lolol:

He's pretty buff alright.

Aegis save yourself some money for that 20 and Buy a couple of sets of M-14 mag clamps. I paid 6 bucks apiece for mine at the last gun show and it only takes a few minutes to modify them (basically beat the backs into shape) so they will work great on your S12 mags, both 5 and 8, and I'm sure Z1500's tens as well. Just take the back off and lay it down on a curved surface where the end is bent over and beat it out a little flatter with a hammer. I put a piece of leather (cuff of old work glove) over the impact point so I wouldn't beat up the finish. Hammer it out to where it doesn't pinch in on the outside edge of the mag so it doesn't try to pinch the fronts together as you tighten the screw. Then just line the insides where it touches the mag with electrical tape. Only takes a few minutes and it's pretty solid when tightened.

Or you can by the buffertech ones. They're nice too.

Believe me two mags full is plenty to have hangin' off the gun. Even for a buff dude like yourself. My gun weighs in right at 10 lbs empty and it's 2 lbs more for each full mag you lock into it.

post-1293-1127884272.jpg

post-1293-1127884286.jpg

post-1293-1127884299.jpg

Y'all are awesome! Thanks for the info, I guess 3 would be a bit big, but it would look sweet. Oh well, until Beta-Cs are available I guess I'll just go with 2 cinched. I appreciate the links as to where to find them, and thank you Cobra for the info on how to fix up the M14 clamps. Definately helpful since I'd be clueless without pictures and instructions. Now if I just had enough magazines to put in a bunch of clamps...I can't wait to see those American made mags all cinched up and ready to go.

Umm... Didn't you guys noticed that those couplers ,and so on, were shown long ago at toiminta-ampujat.net? That Shitbird junior has two mags fixed with sport-tape and mouse pad. Mouse pad is there to keep it in tight group. :angel: After we tested some time with "double" we noticed that a.) with Cobra the sight was blocking fast mag change b.) it didn't save that much time c.) it also did block left arm a bit. So we rejected that idea and started to form magwell instead...

But those mags can be clamped really easily with this little Do-It-Yourself-thing: toiminta-ampujat.net

As everyone can see it only requires some metal, few nuts and a threated rod. But the difference comes when you wrap some mouse pad (or rubberfoam...) over rod and glue it also inside those bended metals! (Watch those pics closely...!) It won't wobble in use or crunch mags easily. ^_^ And with Saiga there could be used 3 or more clamps if needed. Because those are quite thin they can be used to clamp 3, or more, mags together when locating those on different heights. B) Plus these can be adjusted to suit the needs of every shooter. ;)

...And btw, notice that Saiga at the end. :angel:

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

Umm... Didn't you guys noticed that those couplers ,and so on, were shown long ago at toiminta-ampujat.net? That Shitbird junior has two mags fixed with sport-tape and mouse pad.

-JumiKuula aka JamShot

You guys in Finland (Finland!) are just way ahead of everybody on the S12 customization. Especially the improvised stuff. :super:

Thanks for all of the info and advice :smoke:

• 1 month later...