Reloading 7.62x39 for Saiga

My son uses this round for use in a x39 Saiga and I wondered if anyone had experience reloading it.

Just looking to maintain supplies should we not be able to buy commercial for whatever reason.

Load data appreciated.

If you do reload does the accuracy improve as might be expected?

Edited by Rhodes1968

you got to look at a couple things, first is 7.62x39 brass easy to come buy(you can't reload steel casings). you can get better accuracy with reloading but it little more then just making a round. What you use for powder,bullets and primers in your gun can make a big difference. What works great in that gun could suck in a different gun.

That is fine Indy not terribly concerned with the economics of the matter just hoping to be better prepared just in case.

Cases are no problem at all.

Will Varget give suitable results based on your experience or is another powder worth looking into for basic needs?

For logistics reasons I would use Varget if results are acceptable.

Edited by Rhodes1968

BLC-2 is my "go to" powder for the X39. Ya have to keep in mind load densities, and case volume, and then the size of the bullet you wanna shove in there... Varget is not listed on their charts at all...

BLC-2 is a powder I usually have on hand for other loads, so thats why I went with that... They list data for H322, H355, Benchmark, IMR4198, H4198, IMR4227, and H4895. Thats a halfway decent number of powders to choose from. I like the BLC-2 as its a much smaller ball powder, and gives me lower load densities so I can stick bigger bullets in the case, and keep them to a proper max COL.

I have TRIED to make loads with 150 grain projectiles for the X39... its tough... they WORK, and shoot very well... but depending on the make and model... ya sometimes cant load them in a magazine... TOO LONG! And 168's and up... FAHGEDDABAHTIT... LOL :lol: Again... you can hand cycle them... and they will shoot ok... but whats the point... :unsure:

But if you stick with the standard weight rounds... 125 grain give or take 5... and even down to the 110 grain X bullets, you are fine as far as proper COL for magazine loading.

Check the Hodgdon website for load data for the X39. They keep it updated frequently. ( I usually print new copies of the data, for rounds I load, every 3 or 4 months... and have listed powders used above... Which you have already seen. )

:smoke:

BLC-2 is my "go to" powder for the X39. Ya have to keep in mind load densities, and case volume, and then the size of the bullet you wanna shove in there... Varget is not listed on their charts at all...

BLC-2 is a powder I usually have on hand for other loads, so thats why I went with that... They list data for H322, H355, Benchmark, IMR4198, H4198, IMR4227, and H4895. Thats a halfway decent number of powders to choose from. I like the BLC-2 as its a much smaller ball powder, and gives me lower load densities so I can stick bigger bullets in the case, and keep them to a proper max COL.

I have TRIED to make loads with 150 grain projectiles for the X39... its tough... they WORK, and shoot very well... but depending on the make and model... ya sometimes cant load them in a magazine... TOO LONG! And 168's and up... FAHGEDDABAHTIT... LOL laugh.png Again... you can hand cycle them... and they will shoot ok... but whats the point... unsure.png

But if you stick with the standard weight rounds... 125 grain give or take 5... and even down to the 110 grain X bullets, you are fine as far as proper COL for magazine loading.

Check the Hodgdon website for load data for the X39. They keep it updated frequently. ( I usually print new copies of the data, for rounds I load, every 3 or 4 months... and have listed powders used above... Which you have already seen. )

000.gif

Thank you very kindly indeed!

Looking into Reloader 7 as it will also work for the 110g 308 I make up from time to time.

The Varget is reported to work but is too slow burning for the x39, not wild about large fireballs.

Just going to have try out a few see what works best.

I have tried several powders (H322, BLC-2, IMR3031, R-7, Alliant 2400) but have not found a load that actually performs better than factory ammo.

BLC-2 produces a load with jacketed projectiles is accurate enough to hunt with, and I have a load that functions well with 155 grain cast lead bullets and IMR3031. It is not a tack driver but I can plan on having something that goes bang for teh next hundred years if I need it and don't run out of powder and primers.....

You can use most of the powders that overlap into the magnum pistol range like the 110's and 2400 which the 300 BLK also uses.

Brass is harder to come by, but Fiocchi, Federal and S&B can be found on the ground every now and then.

The primers on the Yugo brass stuff can be remade with the Wolf Berdan Primers but it isn't going to be fast since you have to drill and pry them out.

.308 projectiles work, but will not give you the performance of the .311's.

Not really worth the time or investment to do it for anything other than specialty loads with the current cost of powder and components.

My recommendation would be to get a 300 BLK if you want to reload a similar type cartridge with more easily found components.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

Another strange and oddball thing to keep in mind is with Remington brass... Some use large rifle primers, some use small rifle primers... Never could quite figure THAT one out myself... but whatever... they all always go BANG...

:smoke:

• 2 weeks later...

Another strange and oddball thing to keep in mind is with Remington brass... Some use large rifle primers, some use small rifle primers... Never could quite figure THAT one out myself... but whatever... they all always go BANG...

000.gif

Thanks for the heads up

• 3 weeks later...

I've been reloading the 7.62 x 39 cartridge for about seven years now,I always setup to reload every centerfire cartridge I shoot especially if it shoots the more expensive American commercial ammo offerings or imported or surplus ammo that at anytime can be in short supply or completely cut off by the simple stroke of a pen.

Don't get me wrong I shoot steel case ammo on occasion but most of it was bought many years ago when it was cheap and you could buy several K rds. for a couple hundred dollars. It's good ammo in FMJ,SP and HP that shoots well im my SKS rifles,most of it is just set aside for rainy day ammo.

99% of my reloads I shoot out of my SKS rifles nowadays are hard cast lead bullet,basically cost for loading 170 gr. cast bullet,primer and powder is a between 7 to 8.5 cent pre rd. depending on the amount of powder Alliant 2400 and velocity I want and if I want the brass to fall right at my feet of be tossed out into the yard which isn't an issue now since I strung up a knockdown net I can move along my shooting line.

I also have a plinker/small game sub-sonic load I worked up several months ago using a Lee 90 gr. SWC 32 cal. tumble lube bullet sized to 314" and 2.7 to 3.0 grs. of Alliant Bullseye. It want cycle a semi but thats no real issue for what I use the load for. Accuracy is excellent with all the cast loads better than any steel case ammo and just a simple rear sight adjustment is all thats needed to adjust for the slight loss of MV.

For jackated bullet loads I've used many different bullets although I don't shoot those as often now that I cast my own. I like to work up and have lots of options,you just never know as a handloader what you may find yourself having to use. The .310 123 gr. Hornady FMJ,SP and V-MAX bullets are what I have used most and were bought in bulk years ago when the price was half what it is now,they also share the same C.O.L and load data an shoot to the same basic POI.

I also load a few 150 gr. loads Sierra Pro Hunter,Speer HotCor in .311 150 gr. and Prvi Partizan .311 150 gr. semi BTSP. Max MV is around 2100 fps. I keep these loads at 100 yds. or less and basically use them for bush buster loads and get good expansion. I've also loaded up some surplus pulls I had left over for Mexican Matchins some Bulgarian 54r ammo,the .310.5 147 gr. FMJ shoot pretty much like my jackated 150 loads the 187 gr. pulls can only be loaded to around 1700 fps. good plinker bullet but they drop likea rock out past 100 yds.

I've tried a couple different .308 bullets in the SKS rifles but with poor results,there better left for use in rifle with .308 groove bores instead of the .312 bore Yugo and Chinese SKS rifles I have.

For primers I basically use three different ones due to the free floating firing pins in my SKS rifle and the degree of firing pin dimple indents I found using bolt drop test. CCI #34 which is a Magnum primer,Wolf/Tula LR or LRM ie not a true Mag. primer but has a thicker cup and Winchester brass or Nickel cup primes give me no issues in either rifle.

Powder wise I've pretty much settled on Reloader #7,I also like IMR or H-4198 as a backup. AA-1680 is a excellent powder in the X39 rd. I shot it in the past with excellent results but nobody stocks it around here anymore. One thing I like about reloader #7 is it's readily available about anywhere although I'm pretty well stocked and it has work well with any bullet weight I mentioned.

The three powders I mentioned at least in my experiance give you the best bang for the buck charge weight vs. MV,you can use less of a faster powder Like IMR-4227 but both the Min. and Max. loads give slower MV and may give some cycling issues in semi-auto X39 rifles. H-335 is a good powder as well but it pretty slow and requires between 5 to 7 grs. more powder to achieve the same MV as the three main powders I mentioned. Of course there are many of choices,use what works best for you.

It also works well with the heavier 170 gr. cast loads especially in semi auto rifles which might have cycling issues with the Alliant 2400 15 gr. Max. loads like a few Russain SKS rifle I've shot,the Min. starting load of RL #7 cycles them every time. At 50 yds. or less you want notice it but at longer range with the Min. load you may see some vertical stringing,that can easily be relieved by adding a small tuff of Dacron/Polyfil to take up the space between the powder charge and base of the bulllet to give more consitent ignition.

• 4 weeks later...