Clovis, NM where Cannon AFB is located sucked so bad in the 1980s that it was widely believed the wind didn’t blow in the rest of NM it was just the air being moved by Clovis sucking. Place was 200 miles from anywhere to do anything. Miles and miles of open dirt / peanut farms run by the corrupt town council known as the “Shifty 50”.

• Like 2

I lived in NM for many years and worked at WSMR(White Sands Missile Range). Been to both places many times. I like the Carlsbad area the best, but 20-Mags is right. A major change in your thinking when living in the wide open west and not in a major city is that it's a long ways to town. Carlsbad is a fair size place, but you will be running to El Paso more than you want and it's an hour drive or so. Things are a long ways apart out there with miles and miles of nothing in between. WSMR was 48 miles from the nearest town (Las Cruces, NM or 60 miles to El Paso). Once you adapt to the open distances it is a beautiful, but unchanging area to live in. We used to be able to go from 80+ degrees on WSMR, drive up to Cloudcroft and go snowmobiling in the national forest. Some people adapt and end up loving it. Others hate it forever. I will say coming from where you live now, culture shock is going to be a sure bet. Not a tree in sight until you go to the mountains. They plant em in towns, but when driving and you see one beside the road it's an event smile.png

Also you will find the air a bit thin for a year or so. Elevation is generally high (3300 feet in Carlsbad, WSMR was 4800-5000 feet) so that takes a bit of getting used to. Also Nose bleeds are common at first due to the dryness. Saline nose spray is a must at first.

I don't want to make it sound bad, just to let you know it is different from what you are used to. I loved it out there and would go back in a minute, but wife is a Floridian and I ended up at the Space Center so now I'm kinda stuck here in Florida smile.png

Edited by Missile Shooter

Carlsbad has nice caves which might be a good thing in a shtf end of the world scenario. Seriously, just have to ignore the bats.

Ive read about the caves, might give splunking a try, or at least take a few steps in lol

Roswell is nice this time of year. not sure about the others though. why the move anyways lupo? good luck in your quest brother.

Roswell as in A-51?

My girl got a chance to transfer to NM for up to 2 years and didnt want to go without me, I said what the hell Ill go. Im going to try to get into some roughneck oil business jobs first thing. Hobbs also has about a dozen Police jobs open so Im going to try for that too. If I could get into Police work I wouldnt mind staying down for a few years then getting the hell out to another PD.

I lived in NM for many years and worked at WSMR(White Sands Missile Range). Been to both places many times. I like the Carlsbad area the best, but 20-Mags is right. A major change in your thinking when living in the wide open west and not in a major city is that it's a long ways to town. Carlsbad is a fair size place, but you will be running to El Paso more than you want and it's an hour drive or so. Things are a long ways apart out there with miles and miles of nothing in between. WSMR was 48 miles from the nearest town (Las Cruces, NM or 60 miles to El Paso). Once you adapt to the open distances it is a beautiful, but unchanging area to live in. We used to be able to go from 80+ degrees on WSMR, drive up to Cloudcroft and go snowmobiling in the national forest. Some people adapt and end up loving it. Others hate it forever. I will say coming from where you live now, culture shock is going to be a sure bet. Not a tree in sight until you go to the mountains. They plant em in towns, but when driving and you see one beside the road it's an event smile.png

Also you will find the air a bit thin for a year or so. Elevation is generally high (3300 feet in Carlsbad, WSMR was 4800-5000 feet) so that takes a bit of getting used to. Also Nose bleeds are common at first due to the dryness. Saline nose spray is a must at first.

I don't want to make it sound bad, just to let you know it is different from what you are used to. I loved it out there and would go back in a minute, but wife is a Floridian and I ended up at the Space Center so now I'm kinda stuck here in Florida smile.png

Thanks for the detailed response! Id take FL over NM anyday of the week myself lol. Flat and no trees huh? Sounds like North Dakota without the snow and fat ladies. Im kind of excited about a change but wide open spaces no trees will be a liitle weird. People keep telling me about all the drug violence meth and shit like that as well as the cartels running around.

What Im worried about is the small town cops hasseling the new guys stuff. I have my CCW for MN and it allows me to carry in NM I just dont want to be stopped by some LEO and have my pistol confiscated and arrested cause they dont know the laws.

Carlsbad has nice caves which might be a good thing in a shtf end of the world scenario. Seriously, just have to ignore the bats.

Ive read about the caves, might give splunking a try, or at least take a few steps in lol

Roswell is nice this time of year. not sure about the others though. why the move anyways lupo? good luck in your quest brother.

Roswell as in A-51?

My girl got a chance to transfer to NM for up to 2 years and didnt want to go without me, I said what the hell Ill go. Im going to try to get into some roughneck oil business jobs first thing. Hobbs also has about a dozen Police jobs open so Im going to try for that too. If I could get into Police work I wouldnt mind staying down for a few years then getting the hell out to another PD.

yes, i believe that where that base is at. i had an older friend of mine who lived in that area and said it was a nice area. i couldnt tell ya on the others. good luck man. i hope you can find some work in a timely fashion when you arrive.

Missile Shooter and 20-Mags are right. Can tell you all lived out here.

NM is the high desert. You will either love it, hate it, learn to live in it or move. Windy and hot is a good way to describe it...but there's so much more.

Things are far away out here sometimes. You have to take that into consideration. Going to the city is a fact for all kinds of stuff you won't realize till you're out here. I'm about an hour south of Albuquerque. The city provides things we can't get locally and don't want to pay shipping for (has an airport too).

The crime I see on the local news from that area doesn't seem any different than other areas in the state. Meth is an issue (and a reason I carry a gun), but you got to remember meth is everywhere now a days and rural areas are some of the worst nationwide, regardless of state. Domestic Violence is appalling in the rural areas out here. I'm from Midwest originally and just wasn't raised that way. If you're going into LEO down there (and they have been hiring) you will deal with a lot of domestic.

I've never been hassled about carrying out here. The times I've been pulled over it never came up and times I've gone off my property to talk to a LEO's about something happening, I've never been questioned. Only dialogue with LEO's about carry was "don't blame you for carrying" or "smart for carrying". Rural NM is gun friendly. Most people understand the value of a firearm as a tool and believe in the right of self preservation.

You will have culture shock. Everyone that moves here does in their own special way. Number one advice for working with locals in rural area out here...never tell them how to do their job. I've joked that NM is being about as far out of the USA as you can while still being in the USA. Keep in mind it's different here and you're the one that's different not everyone else.

Don't know about all the Cartel stuff. Occasionally the local news has something about a gun store or city officials selling firearms. It is close to the boarder but I'm not down there.

Good luck with your move and drop me a line anytime.

Edited by NM0

I lived in Roswell for four years as a kid and I did not like it at all. I live in Reno now and we have rolling desert to the east and mountains to the west, but there is always something to see in the distance and the mountains are beautiful.

There are trees when you get around Alamogordo and the Lincoln mountains, but you literally have a 2-4+ hour drive to get anywhere worth being. Those drives take a long time because you can see for miles and it seems like you aren't making any progress. It is reminiscent of being on a land island where the city is surrounded by miles of no man's land.

The Caverns are really neat and are definitely worth a visit.

Can't say that I miss New Mexico at all.

Edited by BuffetDestroyer

A few pictures from the area.

Looking out over the desert from the Carlsbad caverns entrance.

My favorite stalagmite formation in the caverns (one guess to its name. No scale but it is 6 ft across).

What the desert looks like outside El Paso (McGregor launch complex Ft. Bliss).

One of our test vehicles at White Sands Missile Range.

You can see forever because of the lack of humidity. This creates problems at first because you keep going places that are just over there, and then 2 hours later you get there. We used to set out at McGregor and see El Paso clear as bell just over the rise. Actually 42 miles away. You can see mountains hundreds of miles away sometimes. It is beautiful scenically, but very different view to most.

post-39512-0-14482900-1343770650_thumb.jpg

post-39512-0-78503000-1343770704_thumb.jpg

post-39512-0-27501900-1343770875_thumb.jpg

post-39512-0-81734400-1343771448.jpg

Edited by Missile Shooter
  • Like 1

A few pictures from the area.

Looking out over the desert from the Carlsbad caverns entrance.

My favorite stalagmite formation in the caverns (one guess to its name. No scale but it is 6 ft across).

What the desert looks like outside El Paso (McGregor launch complex Ft. Bliss).

One of our test vehicles at White Sands Missile Range.

You can see forever because of the lack of humidity. This creates problems at first because you keep going places that are just over there, and then 2 hours later you get there. We used to set out at McGregor and see El Paso clear as bell just over the rise. Actually 42 miles away. You can see mountains hundreds of miles away sometimes. It is beautiful scenically, but very different view to most.

Woe thanks for all the input everyone and missle, those are some cool pics. I do look forward to the sunsets and going out to the desert and shoot.

I did some military training in Santa Fe and White Sands Missile Range. For all that I've seen it was beautiful. The altitude made the air thin, and running was a little tougher. The clouds looked as though I could reach up and literally grab them. Looking out I could see a grand mountain landscape every day. I noticed that the population was diverse, but there were several Native American people. Some of them lived on reservations just off of base. I had a great time. The residents in the area were nice to anybody who respected them, but if you didn't respect them they did not put up with that one bit. I got along great with them. I had some instructors who belonged to the Navajo. They really knew there stuff, and were down to earth caring people with a good sense of humor. Absolutely one of the best experiences in my life.

You need the bat shit to make gunpowder after all the Walmarts and Bass Pro's have been looted.