Jumping the gun, part 2. Gun is done!

I TRULY LOVE the look of the stock... I am just not that keen on the pistol grip... For some reason it seems to take a little away from the rest of the fluid lines, grace, and beauty you worked into that gorgeous wood!!!! I love the way it wraps and cradles the receiver and barrel/gas tube...

I JUST cant say exactly WHAT it is that sets me off on the PG... cause in the closeups it looks great... unsure.png

On the whole though.... it is really beautiful!!! 032.gif

Glad you like it for the most part. In part 1 there was a brief debate as to leaving the pistol grip off but I decided that was straying a little too far from the original concept.

000.gif

Looks awesome. Great work!

Beautiful. I would certainly hope for some details on the safety, and some close-up pics.

Getting a compliment on your craftsmanship with wood, from Yeoldetool, is sort of an honor, IMO. He does gorgeous work, too.

One time, I used a pocket knife to shave the end of a tree branch into a sharp tip. I felt pretty bad ass afterwards. Please consider this my entry into the "Woodworker of the Year" award.victory.gif

Believe me, I value his comments and pretty much everyone else's with the possible exception of Russian Hammer's.smile.png

• Like 1

Went to the range today and had to hurry before we got a much needed 2 inches of rain. A total of only five three shot groups at fifty yards before we had to run for cover. This was the best one. Shana's dammit! I have an excuse (several, actually), as usual. Ralph, Sheldon, and I only had time for one group each and Shana got two before we had to bail out. Also, it was very humid and my glasses were fogging up. Also, my eyes aren't as good as they were thirty years ago. Also, I haven't gotten much sleep in the last few days and had downed an energy drink about an hour earlier. Also.... nah, that's enough excuses for now.

I cranked the front sight down one turn because it was initially hitting a couple of inches low. That was the only adjustment I even had time for before the rain. From the looks of it, it doesn't need anything else. I'm impressed. This thing is very accurate!smile.png

post-23904-0-19571900-1344131095_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Is the safety something that can be modified by a "DO IT YOURSELF" person with average skills??? I like it alot, but I don't think I would have the guts to attempt it without some kind of directions to follow.

I would say that anyone who could cut their own PG nut hole could install the safety with no problem. One issue of course is using a pistol grip that could be cut out for the safety housing without being overly compromised, strength wise. Wood would be no problem and I'm thinking any solid plastic one that uses a full length PG screw would also be fine. Something that uses a short screw and has a hollow grip, such as a Hogue, may not work because there might not be enough structure left to be strong enough.

This safety could be installed on a regular AK or Saiga (not using a full length stock) but the stock safety would have to be modified to use as a dust cover only.

BTW, the pushbutton safety worked flawlessly at the range and felt as normal and natural as if it had been factory installed. After I run this rifle a few times I probably won't even think about the safety being different than on my other Saigas. If I ever get the time I might put it on one of them just to see how it feels.

• Like 1

You were right, this does hold my interest Tim. Is the safety taken from something else and modified or made from raw metal?

I love crossbolt safeties, particularly in front of the trigger i.e. 10/22. Interior pics of the safety would be great. I assume that it slides over the trigger leg to engage and between the legs to fire.

• Like 1