Jumping the gun, part 2. Gun is done!

Been a while since my initial thread on "What if the AK had been designed in the US. Lack of time, too many irons (and fingers) in the fire, etc. The main holdup though was getting my prototype pushbutton safety turned into something I could actually put on a rifle without a cobbled up look. Six frustrating weeks and when I finally got it, it still needed some modifications to work right. Still, it looks good and I've finally got the gun together. A little tweaking here and there is about all that remains. Thanks for the interest and input in the initial thread.

Briefly, this is what I ended up with. A one piece stock that I consider a work of art. (I didn't do the stock, btw.) It has a floated barrel (other than the gas tube) and a built in cheek riser. I used a TechSight rear sight but modified and used the stock dust cover because the one that came with the sight was "less than desirable". It rattled, had too many gaps, and had a protruding safety stop built in. That stop may have been OK for a rifle with the factory safety lever but I didn't need it. Reworking the factory cover was a pain but it looks and fits better, so I think it was worth it. I also mutilated the gun by grinding off the factory rear sight mount and filling the gap with a plate. A better and more elegant solution than the pin TechSights provides that just holds the factory sight spring in place. Yucko.

Other than that, I removed the "beauty cover" on the gas tube because I didn't think it was beautiful, modded the Tapco double hook trigger to eliminate over travel, and did the pushbutton safety that mounts behind the trigger guard. I'm really happy with the safety. It's more ergonomic than the factory lever and works very well. At least it has worked through about a thousand cycles which is more than I've used the safety on any of my other weapons.

I'm thinking that with the floating barrel, longer sight plane, and cheek riser, there's no way it won't out shoot a standard AK. The safety is the icing on the cake. I'll try to find time to shoot it this weekend.

Here's one picture and I'll try to get more up tomorrow.

Tim

post-23904-0-08122000-1343794554_thumb.jpg

• Like 15

Hell Yeah from me. You did a really nice job on that. I like seeing somethin out of your mainstream builds. Again nice craftsmanship. Looking foward to see a couple more pics.

• Like 1

Thanks all. I'll have to admit it took more work than I thought it would at first. I'll try to get some more pictures up this evening as I have to go to work now, unfortunately.

post-23904-0-17262000-1343829073_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Too damn cool!

I would love to see this rifle in person!

I could be prejudiced but do believe it looks a little better than the pics can show.

Hell Yeah from me. You did a really nice job on that. I like seeing somethin out of your mainstream builds. Again nice craftsmanship. Looking foward to see a couple more pics.

Thanks. Ask and you shall receive.

Well done, Tim!

There you have it folks. Endorsed by the forum physician!

post-23904-0-52946700-1343879657_thumb.jpg

post-23904-0-80020400-1343879668_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful. I would certainly hope for some details on the safety, and some close-up pics.

Thank you. Getting late in the evening again, but here's a couple of the safety. I was initially concerned about button interference, especially with the trigger finger but it hasn't happened with six different people so it should be good. The safety housing is recessed enough so that it isn't an issue.

post-23904-0-44596100-1343879885_thumb.jpg

post-23904-0-23268300-1343879905_thumb.jpg

post-23904-0-42434400-1343879920_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Nice job! It reminds me of a beautified Galil. I'd bet the floating barrel wont make that much of a difference considering the gas system, but the increased sight radius will reduce visual error. What did you use for the front sight post? That rifle would look really cool with a bead front sight post with a full shroud around it! Since you are going for the American thing, nothing more American than rear sight aperture and shrouded bead. Had several old 3006 rifled that were sporterized after the war that way.

Hope she's a tack driver for you. Already a beauty.

• Like 1

That is a beautiful stock. Be ready to consider taking orders. I'm sure you'll get some requests.

You will for sure! Take it from me. The requests finally stopped after awhile though.

The safety is awesome!!! These are the kind of posts that got me interested in this website. Very innovative and impressive.

I appreciate that. Designing it was a matter of necessity since I couldn't use the original with a one piece stock. It's surprisingly simple and compact (even internally) and works great so I'm very happy with it.

Nice job! It reminds me of a beautified Galil. I'd bet the floating barrel wont make that much of a difference considering the gas system, but the increased sight radius will reduce visual error. What did you use for the front sight post? That rifle would look really cool with a bead front sight post with a full shroud around it! Since you are going for the American thing, nothing more American than rear sight aperture and shrouded bead. Had several old 3006 rifled that were sporterized after the war that way.

Hope she's a tack driver for you. Already a beauty.

Thanks, Stryker. I would tend to agree about the floating barrel but live firing will provide the answer. It certainly can't hurt. An attempt at improved accuracy wasn't my only goal here though. I also wanted to eliminate what I consider an overly complex and sometimes problematic hand guard setup. It can't get much simpler than what I did. I'm just running the original front sight so far. Again, range time will help decide if anything needs changed.

Not my style, but the craftsmanship is beautiful. Bear in mind that when a compliment comes from me it is has been earned. Very well done.

Thank you very much. That means a lot coming from the resident S12 guru.

However, if you ever decide to do an 8" barreled S12 with a one off purpleheart full length stock, let me know. That would be totally awesome!

I TRULY LOVE the look of the stock... I am just not that keen on the pistol grip... For some reason it seems to take a little away from the rest of the fluid lines, grace, and beauty you worked into that gorgeous wood!!!! I love the way it wraps and cradles the receiver and barrel/gas tube...

I JUST cant say exactly WHAT it is that sets me off on the PG... cause in the closeups it looks great... :unsure:

On the whole though.... it is really beautiful!!! :up:

:smoke:

Looks awesome. Great work!

Beautiful. I would certainly hope for some details on the safety, and some close-up pics.

Getting a compliment on your craftsmanship with wood, from Yeoldetool, is sort of an honor, IMO. He does gorgeous work, too.

One time, I used a pocket knife to shave the end of a tree branch into a sharp tip. I felt pretty bad ass afterwards. Please consider this my entry into the "Woodworker of the Year" award.victory.gif

• Like 2