Interesting info on Hornady's Critical Defense Handgun ammo

That was interesting. I read the article linked from that one, and I was pretty shocked/surprised that the author recommended rather strongly against any 1911-style gun. I had not heard they had so many maintenence issues. Not sure what factors he's referring to as "rough duty", since I've heard many spec-ops troops are using them now.

I'm not an LEO and don't have any military experience, so I'm sure I'm not anywhere near "rough duty" on any of my guns. I have been thinking about selling my Springfield V-10 .45 and getting something else. It is heavy, and the compensators foul the front sight after just a few shots. Pretty nice to shoot though, although I haven't done much low-light shooting with it. It definitely blows a nice flash out the top, though!

and speaking to the "lack of info" it is more imlpied, but it is still revealing the critical defense is the same as the zombie ammo. I don't use it in anything, but my .380 which will change now. Other ammo out there is tested to a higher standard and takes into account various scenarios.

ya I'm not sure what the deal is on that, but other write ups in there highly reccomend a 1911

I think from his standpoint on the particular article he was speaking to people that don't want to maintain their weapon. All I know is that I have a 1911 that I beat up and it was cheap, never had a single issue, I clean it enough, but not as much as I probably should. I shot over 1000 rounds through in a 3 day camp out/shoot with friends and didn't clean it from my last range rip prior to that, so ~1200 rounds without cleaning and no probs.

I can't speak the same for my kimber though, it needs more mait, but now that I know the issues I know a mitagation strategy. A car is only as good as it's driver, and a weapon is only as good as it's operator.

I was never impressed with their Critical Defense line, however their newly introduced Critical Duty line of ammo is very impressive in that it is the only line of handgun ammo to ever pass ALL of the FBI's ballistic testing protocols and did so with flying colors.

I considered buying some of the Critical Duty to try and possible switch to for my carry load...then I read all of the bullshit that Hornady's Marketing Department has spewed out about how only civilians should us the anemic Critical Defense ammo because no SD situation has "ever" required someone to shoot through light - medium barriers or if they did the victim goes to jail. Then about how the Critical Duty is for LEO use ONLY and any civilian that uses it in SD had got a guaranteed one way ticket to jail, AND THEN you still make it readily available to the civilian market...

Fuck you Hornady, I will gladly stay away from that legal can of worms you must opened and continue to carry "LE" ammo for SD from companies that aren't setting its customers up for a legal ass pounding for doing nothing other then using the best tool for the job of defending them selves and their families.

rant off

• Like 1

I was never impressed with their Critical Defense line, however their newly introduced Critical Duty line of ammo is very impressive in that it is the only line of handgun ammo to ever pass ALL of the FBI's ballistic testing protocols and did so with flying colors.

I considered buying some of the Critical Duty to try and possible switch to for my carry load...then I read all of the bullshit that Hornady's Marketing Department has spewed out about how only civilians should us the anemic Critical Defense ammo because no SD situation has "ever" required someone to shoot through light - medium barriers or if they did the victim goes to jail. Then about how the Critical Duty is for LEO use ONLY and any civilian that uses it in SD had got a guaranteed one way ticket to jail, AND THEN you still make it readily available to the civilian market...

Fuck you Hornady, I will gladly stay away from that legal can of worms you must opened and continue to carry "LE" ammo for SD from companies that aren't setting its customers up for a legal ass pounding for doing nothing other then using the best tool for the job of defending them selves and their families.

rant off

I'm glad I'm not the only one that caught that, well now you gave legal precedence for what you just said essentially.

Funny thing, that website, one of it's biggest contributors are the FBI

That was interesting. I read the article linked from that one, and I was pretty shocked/surprised that the author recommended rather strongly against any 1911-style gun. I had not heard they had so many maintenence issues. Not sure what factors he's referring to as "rough duty", since I've heard many spec-ops troops are using them now.

1911's are awesome weapons...apart from the pieces of shit the USMC is procuring for their SOF guys. During the evaluation phase, they cracked slides and frames on test guns, only to go ahead and choose them after the fact. The 7th Special Forces Group here just placed a large order for Glock 19s. Fuck Hornady btw.

• Like 2

I didnt read the article vut usually the deal on 1911s is that it takes someone who's dedicated to it to run it right. Most are ok for the casual shooter but a 1911 is a type of gun not a brand. Everyone makes it slightly different and no parts are plug&play. Usually some gunsmithing is involved. The external extractor is overall worse then the internal but the internal has to be properly tunned to run tight. So far only S&W got the external extractor right. Springs have to be changed more often. Overall its more maintenance to keep a 1911 running. Unlike say a HK or Glock or M&P where pretty much all parts are same and you can just install new parts or ones from another gun.

Edited by Arik

oh yeah, and i never really cared for the critical defense offering from the beginning. i think the guy at hornady needs to shut the fuck up about going to jail if you have to shoot through a barrier. bad guys have the same self preservation instinct as the rest of us, and if a shooting incident were to take place, why wouldnt he take cover if he could? the scenarios are never the same and are as vast as the stars in the sky. i think that Hornady has a bias opinion and a poor one at that. and i give Hornady a -1 for this horseshit.

• Like 2