Tapco T-6 stock/grip assembly

Was checking out the Tapco site on the Saiga products section came across this stock/grip alternative.

This item is a bolt on unit but is not a conversion set up, trigger stays in the sporter rearward location. Anyone seen this or have experience with it?

It is a cheap and nasty way of doing a conversion that is minutes of work for anyone semi skilled with tools.

It does work, but you still end up with an ugly assed gun with the trigger and grip in the wrong place for a decent grip.

KBK

Edited by Kayback

Yep, Ill never make that mistake again. Was my first conversion, I was a noobie. People tried to tell me not to.

Well I wasted the money anyways. For what you spend on it you will be able to do a conversion for a few bucks more. The stock trigger is horrible. The balance on the gun in general with that cheap stock is horrible. And honestly it just looks plain crappy!

The conversion is simple enough, just go for it and dont waste your money on that stock.

When I shot mine prior to conversion, it felt like the rifle was exceedingly off balance forward. Maybe with a heavier wooden stock it might have felt better, but with the hollow plastic one on it there just wasn't any weight at the rear to balance it out. After the conversion it was like an entirely different rifle.

Ages ago I had one on for awhile. It is a beginning approach to modifying a saiga. Always seemed like I could rip the pistol grip off the gun. Was held on by a sheet rock looking screw.

If you go this route you might want to figure in what it will cost to do a basic FCG conversion as well/on top. Most eventually do convert. It's heads and tails above the factory setup and not hard to do.

Little pic nostalgia from '08. The tapco stock is before they used the saw grip.

2saigas.jpg

My how the saigas change over time....

I wonder if you could use a dremel to cut the pistol grip off the Tapco T6 for the unconverted Saiga. I also have the Saiga as pictured above and yes, I DO plan on converting it.

Has anybody been able to use the old Tapco for their conversion?

I wonder if you could use a dremel to cut the pistol grip off the Tapco T6 for the unconverted Saiga. I also have the Saiga as pictured above and yes, I DO plan on converting it.

The pistol grip was just screwed on. My S12 wore the T6 collapsible stock in converted mode for close to 1K rounds, 3/4 low brass. It worked fine. Never got any looser than it already was.

More pic nostalgia...

S12case1.jpg

Many of us have used the Saiga specific buffer tube, but replaced them as soon as we could.

Tapco will sell you a AK specific buffer tube that will fit on that stock. You can also buy a Command Arms polymer buffer tube for around $30, which looks much better then the angled Tapco.

Edited by Jetmech

Yes they do. You may purchase the FCG without the PG and stock. But once you convert the trigger group and move it to its proper position the sporter stock no longer works for you - the trigger will be too far forward. You'll need to get you a pistol grip and new stock of some kind. Do a search. There are several out there to choose from beside the Tapco T6.

I'm thinking I can still use the Tapco T6 stock from my unconverted Saiga so there's no reason to buy a stock for it. I may only need to buy a kit that comes with a pistol grip and the other parts.

You can.

This kit would work if you reuse the T6.

http://store.carolinashooterssupply.com/servlet/-strse-713/SAIGA-RIFLE-TRIGGER-GROUP/Detail

They are a great, inexpensive alternative. It is solid when installed correctly. The vast majority here will say convert, convert, convert.... but the benefit of converting is a slightly different trigger feel and the way it looks. Not a big deal to me. The only downside to me is that you are essentially limited to one type of pistol grip....the SAW. It's not bad though.

The ergonomics are very similar to those of a converted gun. Here's a comparison photo of my Saiga 12's for perspective.

post-17248-0-58389000-1344282662_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest expierence was a far better trigger with my restortion.

At first I was a die hard fan of the factory version of the Saiga rifle. I pushed hard against converting my rifle. I made the mistake of shooting a restored Saiga rifle with the G2 trigger that was offered to me at the range....and suddenly I realized that the trigger that I thought was fine.....sucked!

Do not shoot a restored Saiga if you do not want to restore it!

Too much "linkage" to get the trigger to the as imported location. I even polished the linkage to try to smooth it out....it was better but still sucked!