"Tactical" Tomahawk, late bday present from a friend...

Got this in the mail with a card from a friend, pretty interesting. he put a paracord grip onto it that is neat.

It's a United Cutlery M48

Seems ok it's sharp as hell, going to try throwing it for the hell of it tomorrow.

anyone ever messed with these? There was aninsert in the box about these being used by Green Berets and such.

No idea what the hell to do with it aside from make a mall ninja blunt weapons harness/rig and be leery of the zombie apocalypse?

I guess it might be a lightweight hiking hatchet.

I'm honestly at a loss. I found a book on amazon

volume 1 http://www.amazon.com/The-Fighting-Tomahawk-Illustrated-Weapons/dp/1581604416/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1345691483&sr=8-1&keywords=fighting+tomahawk

volume 2 http://www.amazon.com/The-Fighting-Tomahawk-Volume-II/dp/1581607296/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1345691483&sr=8-4&keywords=fighting+tomahawk

Oh and there's a DVD http://www.amazon.com/THE-FIGHTING-TOMAHAWK-Dwight-McLemore/dp/B002R80TBI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1345691483&sr=8-2&keywords=fighting+tomahawk

interesting article http://www.angelfire.com/pro/graeylin/scot_history.htm

I had heard they have been used throughout american wars/history, just kind of laughable that united has one.

It is my understanding that Tomahawks are being deployed with some of our troops in the middle east. Below is an article I quickly found doing a search:

http://usmilitary.about.com/od/weapons/a/tomahawk.htm

Actually I think it is a pretty cool gift. It may never see use, but not many of us have one, and according to the article they are "being used to take out IED's and landmines", which even if it is media BS, is still one heck of a conversation starter.

Who says you have to take it seriously. I've got a sword for no better reason than that it is fun. (I tend to prefer historically accurate swords of good steel, so I have priced myself out of owning more than one)

Put a cross cut in the back yard and chuck it for a few minutes after work. Hatchet throwing is fun, and cheap. It also takes enough skill that you get some satisfaction out of getting your throws to be consistent and estimating ranges accurately.

Laugh at the "tactical" aspect and have fun bouncing the handle off of your neighbor's chihuahua until you get your stride and release down ;)

Oh and the article SpaceHog linked says you should use it to detonate landmines. That sounds like a good hobby. Just close your eyes and swing hard with the spike.

• Like 2

Who says you have to take it seriously. I've got a sword for no better reason than that it is fun. (I tend to prefer historically accurate swords of good steel, so I have priced myself out of owning more than one)

Put a cross cut in the back yard and chuck it for a few minutes after work. Hatchet throwing is fun, and cheap. It also takes enough skill that you get some satisfaction out of getting your throws to be consistent and estimating ranges accurately.

Laugh at the "tactical" aspect and have fun bouncing the handle off of your neighbor's chihuahua until you get your stride and release down wink.png

I can throw a knife pretty well, so I think I can get this with practice. I have a sword I bought at an acution myself 1700s Katana, also had to go and meet david caradine and get a killbill sword, it was walking distance from my house and I got to see him LARP, yes, drunk at 10AM David Caradine larping, best day ever. I can't find the maxim issue, but I got in maxim and got a $50 gift card for the cell phone pic with him.

So I get the don't need it *shrugs* buy anyway aspect. And hear how they have been used, just not so commonly.

I do think it's really unique and cool. Funny enough this is a gift from a friend that cut the shit out of himself on my fiskars axe last year ran his arm into the hand holding the axe

That takes talent. The fiskars axes I've seen were very blunt and seemed to be made for splitting kindling, not chopping.

After looking at the thing, I retract the crosscut and suggest a foam archery butt. You'd break that handle banging it on wood repeatedly, but that spike should stick nicely.

That takes talent. The fiskars axes I've seen were very blunt and seemed to be made for splitting kindling, not chopping.

After looking at the thing, I retract the crosscut and suggest a foam archery butt. You'd break that handle banging it on wood repeatedly, but that spike should stick nicely.

no man this fiskars was shave sharp, not even funny how sharp it was, to sharp for a damn axe

as my father calls it "uncle buck sharp"

I confess that I keep my machetes and axes too sharp as well. I know that they are intended to be at a more obtuse final grind angle so as to be more durable, but I like sharp to be sharp.

no man this fiskars was shave sharp, not even funny how sharp it was, to sharp for a damn axe

as my father calls it "uncle buck sharp"

My brother bought one of those fikars axes and it's sharp like a razor too. I call it his sewing axe. Ya know "fiskars" the sharpest scissors my wife has in her sewing set.

• Like 1

The Tomahawk has been around for ever. It's native to North America. It became a novelty in the military during the Vietnam war. We had code talkers who had some pretty cool lucky charms and it caught on. As the years went on, infantry started to carry luck with them. With Natives you either get the pipe of peace or the axe of war.

As far as I know, they have always been personal gear. You will never find a nsn number on one. It's a novelty weapon that some carry in war as a backup. I would consider it extra weight.

Here is a really nice one similar to the ones guys would play around with in Vietnam. http://www.antipersonnel.net/fmco/009.html

Gary where can I obtain one like the 3rd 'hawk pictured?

That's a RMJ Tactical custom 'Eagle Talon.' Normally they are created and sold in either a gray or black duracoat finish, with G-10 scales/handle. My varient was ordered in a polished finish (4140 Chrome-Moly steel) with curly maple scales and some decorative leather lacing. 18 inches overall length, 29 oz.

post-4853-0-85603000-1345754569_thumb.jpg

I like the look of that third one too. The first one seems more of a hand axe than a tomahawk

Yep, the first one is very small. . . a "hand axe" is apropos. Neat thing about it is you can grasp it with your hand from the back of the axe's head, sticking your second finger through the hole; index finger rests on top in its own half-circle; third finger and pinky wrap around underneath the head. . . and you then have yourself a very sharp punching/slicing defensive tool.

My personal favorite though is the second one. . . on account that it has a damascus steel head (forged by Craig Barr) which I had to personally fit a hickory tomahawk handle to, and perform the rawhide grip wrapping myself.

post-4853-0-25934500-1345754822_thumb.jpg

post-4853-0-59899500-1345754849_thumb.jpg

Edited by Gary

I'm glad I'm not the only edged weapon appreciator around here.

Gary what's the going rate on #2 if you don't mind me asking (having trouble locating a delaer)

I didn't notice the damascus at first, now I'm thinking 2 lol

I'm gettng one of those biggrin.png

Edited by Syndicate

Gary what's the going rate on #2 if you don't mind me asking (having trouble locating a delaer)

I purchased it off of eBay (of all places) about two years back. (I do not know if it is possible to purchase his creations from any other location or from a dealer.) I just performed a search there, and he currently has two versions for sale, although neither is damascus. Simply perform an eBay product search for "Craig Barr". One has the "spike" rear (6 bids, now at $100), and the other has a "hammer pole" rear (2 bids, now $51.00). http://stores.ebay.c...-Forge-Damascus

I propose you could contact Craig via eBay PM to find out when he will be forging a few more tomahawk heads in damascus.

Sorry that I can't be of more assistance to you.

Edited by Gary
  • Like 1

I purchased it off of eBay (of all places) about two years back. (I do not know if it is possible to purchase his creations from any other location or from a dealer.) I just performed a search there, and he currently has two versions for sale, although neither is damascus. Simply perform an eBay product search for "Craig Barr". One has the "spike" rear (6 bids, now at $100), and the other has a "hammer pole" rear (2 bids, now $51.00). http://stores.ebay.c...-Forge-Damascus

I propose you could contact Craig via eBay PM to find out when he will be forging a few more tomahawk heads in damascus.

Sorry that I can't be of more assistance to you.

that's fine, I foudn it on ebay and your old thread, just wanted to make sure it was legit

• Like 1