Vintage ammo box labels, why can't we have nice things like this?

I collect vintage ammo, most of it you wouldn't want to use. Some of it is quite sought after. I wouldn't have started a collection had my grandfather not left his to me (and a massive stock pile of ammo it was)

And yes of course if I'm buying modern ammo I'm going to think like that.

That and I haven't run into an instance where I've thought it was worth saving for a potential future collection.

At some point I might save a .41 mag box.

Back when I was like 8, my cousin and I found a box of what I believe to have been .35 Remington from in the maybe mid 40's to early 50's. It was in a cool box, had soft tips with a white powder that was probably poisonous. We got in trouble because we were using the live rounds as bombs to throw on our plastic army guys. They got thrown away after that. Wish I'd been able to keep them

Edited by VR6Shooter

Typography and illustration was much more creative and detailed before the age of computers. Now you have a bunch of garbage illustrations and poor form with typography that is quickly and cheaply produced without any real design concept. Mostly just copy and paste computer assisted garbage.

The old illustrators were well compensated and extremely talents. They would be considered fine artists today because of their amazing skill. Kinda like engraving on firearms these days.

It's not so much the cost of the printing that has made most all of our ad illustrations cheesy and generic. It's the lazy ass illustrator that is underpaid and overworked that really doesn't give a shit about the outcome so long as it serves its purpose. If you look at the old illustrations, the artist's mark or even signature was on the work. Today, you can't put your mark on it and it belongs to the corporation that hired you so why give a shit.

I guess that's progress. Oh well.

• Like 3

Typography and illustration was much more creative and detailed before the age of computers. Now you have a bunch of garbage illustrations and poor form with typography that is quickly and cheaply produced without any real design concept. Mostly just copy and paste computer assisted garbage.

The old illustrators were well compensated and extremely talents. They would be considered fine artists today because of their amazing skill. Kinda like engraving on firearms these days.

It's not so much the cost of the printing that has made most all of our ad illustrations cheesy and generic. It's the lazy ass illustrator that is underpaid and overworked that really doesn't give a shit about the outcome so long as it serves its purpose. If you look at the old illustrations, the artist's mark or even signature was on the work. Today, you can't put your mark on it and it belongs to the corporation that hired you so why give a shit.

I guess that's progress. Oh well.

Couldn't agree more sir, may not always see eye to eye on stuff, but you appreciate things in ways often left aside and I respect that.

just look at how any person in graphic design is treated at an office, I worked with one guy that was an amazing water color and oil painter, he was trying his hand at sculpting and engraving. He was so beaten down by the corp environment a lot, people wanting him to throw together personal things and such.

Naw, It's cool! I have some repro .45 LC ammo boxes loaded with new cowboy loads for my Colt Walker and Walker Whitneyville walnut cased serialized conversion revolvers. They are repleat with Texas Ranger badges, Leather stamped Colt Revolver labels and parchment loading instructions, English made percussion tins, flasks moulds, the works! I love this kind of stuff and the era.

• Like 1

I have a whole 25 count box of Peter's 00 buck. It says, "New plastic hulls" How long has it been since they did away with paper hulls?

I also have several old black powder 12GA shells I got when my uncle died. They are wax paper with just enough of a brass cup to hold the primer. Oldest decided to pop one in my Maverick 88 for giggles. Big ol' cloud of smoke, then he turns the gun up and dumps the shot out. Everyone at the range was laughing at him and calling him Elmer Fudd!! haha.gif

I think marketing also plays a role in the move to more simplistic designs. It's got to be easier to brand a product line with cleaner, less organic designs. Remington's boxes, for example, all look a lot alike despite running the gamut from photographs of birds to shitty green polygons.