Got the Mosin 91/30 out and shot about thirty rounds with it. I'm in love with the 7.62x54r round now. Think I'm gonna get a recoil pad. Shoulde is a bit sore today. At fifty yards I got down to a 4 inch group with 5 rnds. My last 5 rnds I shot on a hundred yard line and it was about 12 inch group with 5 rnds. By that time I was jerking the trigger anticipated the mule kick. Next time I'll just go to the 100 yard line first now that I know she shoots pretty well. Think if I scope it I could get pretty close to 1 moa with it.

Now I gotta get me the VEPR in 7.62x54r. I was debating what I should buy next, and the Mosin helped me to make up my mind.

the more you shoot it, the less the recoil will bother you. every now and then ill get a round off that i didnt have the butt tight into my shoulder and you will feel it. i could shoot mine all day but i will have a sore shoulder. but i dont let it bother me too much. i need to pick up a few spam cans come to think of it.

they are more accurate than most people give them credit for. they also vary from gun to gun. i love mine. glad you enjoyed yours. i dont think you can find a cheaper, harder hitting rifle for the money.

I have several Mosins myself and i love everything about them but i do wonder if getting the muzzle crowned will improve accuracy. I have yet to make a "sporterized" Mosin and i would love to get another and get the muzzle crowned if it does in fact improve it's accuracy.

i look at these gun as little jewels. i feel that aside from the crown being damaged, the trigger is the other weak link. im wanting to put a timney in mine to see how much better it does. one of my mosins has an unconsistant break in the trigger. maybe a half pound or so. it can crush your accuracy shots, but you wont miss the target all together. with my '28 tula, i can shoot soda cans at around 97 yrds or so if i do my part. it shoots better than my '39 tula. but both shoot better than people say they do.

2 things, 1)like capt stated, people get beat up by them because they don't really press that buttstock into the pocket of your shoulder when they shoot it, if you don't do that, then yes you're going to get beat up pretty good. everybody is so use to gas operated weapons that when they shoot a bolt action rifle, they fail to realize that there shoulder is the recoil absorber . 2)buy some 147gr x54r, the recoil isn't as brutal as it is with 180gr, but it still ain't like shooting x39.

I shot like 60or 70 rounds of that through my repo sniper yesterday, and my shoulder isn't aching or bruised, number 1 above is the reason.

I've got 4 of them, a 91/30-TULA, 91/30-ISHVESK, M44 and a repro sniper from CENTURY I got for like 300 bucks long time ago.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

i look at these gun as little jewels. i feel that aside from the crown being damaged, the trigger is the other weak link. im wanting to put a timney in mine to see how much better it does. one of my mosins has an unconsistant break in the trigger. maybe a half pound or so. it can crush your accuracy shots, but you wont miss the target all together. with my '28 tula, i can shoot soda cans at around 97 yrds or so if i do my part. it shoots better than my '39 tula. but both shoot better than people say they do.

I'd try a Huber trigger first, the Timney requires some relieving to be done on the inside of the stock for it to fit. The Huber has an adjustable setscrew in it with a roller bearing on the bottom. The great advantage to the Timney is you have an actual safety that's easy to use!

When I shoot my Mosin's I set sideways, straddling the bench so that the butt sits more on the meaty section of my shoulder, it helps a lot. First time out, I sat straight ahead, shot 20 rounds through it and next morning had a purple and blue shoulder. Since I switched, had no problems at all but I still rarely shoot more than 20 through them, if I do then I run out of time for my other guns.

Just tossing a Finn trigger into it will make a world of difference. If you take the trigger spring/bolt stop (Sear to most of us) out and run a fine stone across the surface where the trigger runs, more than likely it will show two high spots, if you stone that smooth even the original trigger will break much more smoothly.

on one of my sporterized mosins, i D&Ted a hole below the bolt and then screwed a 6-40 setscrew down threw it.

i can now adjust the preload on the trigger spring/sear. works great better than my homemade huber copy.

most of mine have just stoned and shimmed triggers though. except for 1 with a homemade huber style, this 1, and 1 with a timmney.

(i own 7 Mosins)

The Mosin-nagant is an old school bolt action rifle from Russia. Originally designed by a drunk Russian engineer and an even more drunk Belgian gunsmith, who drew up blueprints on napkins in the back of a pub somewhere in Siberia in a vodka-induced stupor. The Mosin-nagant fires the 7.62x54r cartridge, which can kill a polar bear at a thousand yards and keep going right through the tree he was standing in front of. The Mosin-nagant was used by the Russians in both world wars, so it's killed more Germans than collisions on the autobahn and under-cooked sauerkraut combined. Surplus Mosins can be found at gunshops in the States for like a hundred bucks on sale, and ammo is cheap surplus, so this is what real men shoot who don't want to drop $1299.99 on an AR-15 which fires a .22 round and that's made out of recycled milk jugs and Legos. Many of them come with a bayonet that's roughly the size of the sword William Wallace used in Braveheart. In the absence of gun oil, you can clean a Mosin by pissing down the barrel and wiping the bolt off with a dirty rag that you found on the floor in a Grease Monkey. Try that with a rifle that was designed less than 50 years ago

Joe: " I need a rifle that is ten feet long and fires anti-tank rounds, but Ive only got 200 dollars!"

Ivan: "Amerikan comrade, you need mosin-nagant . Spend 100 on the rifle, fifty on case of ammo, use rest for vodka!"In Soviet Russia, rifle fire you!!!

• Like 5

Love my Mosin. IMO you should get one of these : http://www.amazon.co...ds=mosin nagant

Its a rubber recoil pad that replaces the steel one. It cuts down recoil, but the main benefit is that it also extends the length of pull to make it much more comfortable to shoulder.

And it costs all of $11, with free shipping.

Edited by legionario

Love my Mosin. IMO you should get one of these : http://www.amazon.co...ds=mosin nagant

Its a rubber recoil pad that replaces the steel one. It cuts down recoil, but the main benefit is that it also extends the length of pull to make it much more comfortable to shoulder.

And it costs all of $11, with free shipping.

Been thinking about one of those.

I have several Mosins myself and i love everything about them but i do wonder if getting the muzzle crowned will improve accuracy. I have yet to make a "sporterized" Mosin and i would love to get another and get the muzzle crowned if it does in fact improve it's accuracy.

an improved crown will vastly improve consistancy. You need to know if you barrel is counter bored and even then it may be rusted back a bit beyond that, you'll need to cut all that off. An 11 degree target crown is all you really need.

I love my mosin as i got 10 of them and wanting more. Ammo's cheap and plentiful and they are good shooters. On the triggers though you may want to look on you tube for the video of a guy that uses a small washer and spring to make a smooth pulling trigger. They also have them on ebay as a kit you can get. Also they do have finnish parts for mosins for sale also to improve the trigger without paying the big cost of a timmey type triggers. Just my 2 cents....

I love my mosin as i got 10 of them and wanting more. Ammo's cheap and plentiful and they are good shooters. On the triggers though you may want to look on you tube for the video of a guy that uses a small washer and spring to make a smooth pulling trigger. They also have them on ebay as a kit you can get. Also they do have finnish parts for mosins for sale also to improve the trigger without paying the big cost of a timmey type triggers. Just my 2 cents....

Or he could goolge the thread on here, where I diagramed all the dimension with pictures.

If you do the washer under the spring mod there's no reason to buy the "kit" from ebay, all it consists of is a washer and a slack spring, the slack spring doesn't really do ANYTHING as far as trigger pull, all it does it push the trigger forward. These kits are a ripoff, just take a soda can and cut the sides out, flatten it out and mark off 1/2" squares on it and cut those out, use a paper punch or hole punch for the screw hole in them and put a few under the spring. Keep in mind that what you are actually doing is changing the depth that the sear engages the cocking piece on the bolt, you can overdo it and cause a negligent discharge if dropped or even bumped. The bolt in these will move as you pull the trigger, just try it and watch the rear of the bolt. If you reduce the sear engagement, cock the rifle and slam the butt into the floor a few times to make sure you didn't screw it up and put too many washers under the spring. It's a redneck way of reducing the trigger pull that can make the rifle dangerous for anyone to be around. Much better to stone the flat of the spring and polish the sear surface where it engages, along with the bottom part of the cocking piece.

• Like 1

I'm leaning toward the Timney. I like the idea of the safety it has over the knob safety the rifle came with.

After a lot more reserach, and joing the fairly new and small "I have Mosinitus" forum, I've decided to go full on sporter. My rifle is pretty common, and I want a project. I can get another Mosin at the Tulsa gun show in November. Will start on it over the next few months.

I'm going to get the bolt handle turned down and may even go with a mauser lever. Modern target wood stock. Timney trigger. Scope mount with a nice variable power scope. If I can find one for a reasonable price I may even go with a bull barrel.

Price break down:

Orginal Mosin: $100

Timney: $95

Stock: $100-$150

Scope mount: $60

Scope: $75-$150

Bolt handle: $55

Total: $485

I know I could go out and buy a new Savage in 308 for the same money, but it won't have any soul. I'd end up customizing something on it eventually anyway. I also have not found any other bolt gun that shoots 7.62x54r, which I really like. So, that means to get what I want out of it I'm going to have to redo this one the way I want it. I may never get my money bakc out of it, but that's not the point. I may never sell it so that may be a mute point anyway.

• Like 1

If you go bent bolt, pick up a bolt or bolt body off ebay and toss your original in a drawer in case you want to go back original, that is if you have an all-numbers matching one to start with. If it's a Mutt like the one I built out of spare parts then no problem, lol...

I'm a member of a bunch of the Mosin forums, some as a sponsor, others just as a means of cheap advertising for my sight tools, the Mosinitus one I've been with since they started up, mostly a few guys off another general shooting forum that a bunch of us went to after getting banned off the Hi Point Firearms Forum when it was sold out and we bitched about it...