OK, so I won a $100 gift card to a fairly local (2 states away, appx. 45 minute drive) shop that sells guns and ammo. I'm seriously thinking about using this $100 to buy a spam can of 54R, or some surplus .308. What would you spend the $100 if you were in my situation? (They carry most everything gun/ammo related) Figure maybe someone else has an idea that would fit my situation that I haven't thought of yet.

ammo. its like getting a free spam can.

The second I got the email thats what came to mind. Free money always starts the kid in a candy store mentality though.

Got enough clips?

If so, got enough mags?

I picked up some clips for the Mosin a few months back and mags are a pain out of state since noone wants to sell Hi-caps even if theyre Massachusetts legal. If they had a surplus AK mag loader I'd grab that on sight, been trying to find one of those cheap

Edited by VR6Shooter

I like using gift cards on stuff I probably wouldn't spend my money on but want.

This is exactly why I was stretching towards a can. I always wanted to buy up a can but never could justify spending the money they ask around my house. They also have a used Marlin model 60 that has my interest at $85, but I already have a stainless one but the $85 has a 22" barrel unlike mines 18". Ahhhhhhh decisions, decisions

• Like 1

Id put alittle money with it and get a 22 pistol, mainly b/c thats what I plan on buying next.

But the generic gun forum answer is BUY MORE AMMO!!! You always need more ammo!

Can't buy a handgun outta state.

Handguns can be bought out of state, day in, day out. They must be transferred however, instate. If the shop will ship and MA law allows, a pistol may be bought, then shipped, then transferred in the buyer's home state by an FFL there.

ammo is always nice, and a good choice, but what about putting it towards a scope you could never justify getting? i'm assuming you own something you could mount it on. i myself having been working towards a green laser by saving a few bucks a week. its always somewhat easy to grab a some ammo here and there, but its stuff like that thats hard to actually get. once i get a couple hundred bucks together, i inevitably start looking at some 22 rifle, or hey, if i save a few MORE dollars, i could get an xdm.... you get the point. congrats btw

• Like 2

ammo is always nice, and a good choice, but what about putting it towards a scope you could never justify getting? i'm assuming you own something you could mount it on. i myself having been working towards a green laser by saving a few bucks a week. its always somewhat easy to grab a some ammo here and there, but its stuff like that thats hard to actually get. once i get a couple hundred bucks together, i inevitably start looking at some 22 rifle, or hey, if i save a few MORE dollars, i could get an xdm.... you get the point. congrats btw

Yeah thats the problem, I could put it towards a scope, but then when I get there I know I'll start looking at something else, get sidetracked, and end up buying something completely different, always how it goes. I really am looking to get as much with the $100 and no more $$ invested as I know that will lead to a "I thought you got $100 how'd you end up spending $600" lecture. Thanks BTW

Ooh.. Scope- that's good thinking!

Besides that or mags & ammo, staying close to the $100 mark, I'm thinking:

Streamlight TLR-1

A good bipod

A good, lined holster (that lining usually adds just enough to the cost to keep me from deciding on one)

Possibly some fancy grips for a handgun?

Flash hider or compensator

High-end cleaning rod/rods

Try out some DRT ammo if they've got it? Ordinarily way too expensive to just "try it out," maybe not so bad with a giftcard..!

Or buy Dancing Bear a birthday present... Do they carry strippers? :lol:

• Like 1

I like johnny's suggestions.i can understand wanting to keep within the $100. i'll second a nice holster ( or maybe a fairly nice longun case?)

i've been looking at that DRT ammo for awhile, but i haven't done the research yet to commit to buying any yet

• Like 2

I'll have to look into the DRT ammo, not sure if they carry it. I haven't looked so they may but I cant be certain. I like the scope idea too. I may look at what they have, see if anything suits me. I have been wanting a Kalinka scope for the ol' .308, I may see what they have that's reasonable and maybe just get a picatinny mount for it. Or ammo, or a holster or all of em......AAHHHHHHHHHHH the decisions are driving me mad sick.gif

• Like 1

SOOOOOOOOO.....I ended up going with this:

post-38885-0-69647600-1347503236_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looked around at all the stuff they had, not a very large selection of scopes, a few guns I woulda wanted to get but figured I can find something similar in the future and bulk up on some 54R for 12/21/2012 on the stores dime greedy.gif

• Like 2

SOOOOOOOOO.....I ended up going with this:

post-38885-0-69647600-1347503236_thumb.jpg

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. Looked around at all the stuff they had, not a very large selection of scopes, a few guns I woulda wanted to get but figured I can find something similar in the future and bulk up on some 54R for 12/21/2012 on the stores dime greedy.gif

Smart man.

very wise. hard to go wrong with that!

You may already know this, but for those who dont, this should help you identify those markings. Bulgarian circle 10 is good milsurp. Good score.

post-32793-0-87314500-1347505910_thumb.jpg]

Edited by Captain Hero

very wise. hard to go wrong with that!

You may already know this, but for those who dont, this should help you identify those markings. Bulgarian circle 10 is good milsurp. Good score.

The only thing about it I was disappointed with, was the lack of any can openerswet_eyes.gif

I use a torch.

got a vid of that tim? in the hands of an untrained person, that could be fun to watch!

Well, I did have at least a partial video tutorial started but the camera quit working for some reason. Not being an expert I can only surmise that it may have been the bullet hole through the lens.

• Like 4