How rapid can I fire my s308?

As fast as you can pull the trigger. The firearm should be capable of ~600-650rpm (regulated). I'd say you would have to literally go thru 600rds in one minute to actually see the barrel warp.

You basically bought the equivalent of a WW2 German Tiger tank in the world of rifles. Good choice!

• Like 1

Iw ent into a local shop asking about a quad rail for my s308. the gut asked why. So pretended to be polite and explain to him what a fucking rail on a gun is good for. He replied "Son, that's a hunting rifle" I couldn't help but chuckle a bit. I said something like "Yeah, I do plan on hunting boar...oh, and Zombies" He laughed. I then informed him that people do surprising little hunting with AK's/saigas in Africa. They're all the rage with the kids. Sad but true.

Edited by EZTundra77

More like 2 rounds a minute and 40 minutes for the rifle barrel to cool enough to not melt the rifle case.

The tempering temperatures of steels used in barrels are in the 500-700 degree area. If you get into that temp range your probably going to change the way the barrel shoots.

I love my new mag, by the way. Thank you sir. How many rounds does it take to get to 500˚ F. Say in 5 or 10 minutes. I would guess that any more that 7 rounds a minute would achieve that temp.

I really don't know how you would get the temperature. 7 rounds a minute will probably be fairly safe, or a quick 20 rds and give it a little time to cool (I like to shoot my .22 while I wait).

I have fired 360+ rounds through my 5.45x39 inside of about 3 mins, with no ill effects, other then charring the hand guard and burning the paint off the barrel.

I'd suggest stopping if you smell burning paint or the hand guard feels really hot.

I try to shoot 20 or 30 rounds in less than 10 mins, on target at range.

Most times I can keep them on a 12" round steel plate

at 100,200, and 300 yrds, I do miss a few times per try,

not by much. Barrel gets HOT, but no problems as of yet.

I have done a few mag dumps in the x39, so I cant say from experience on the 308, but I have tried to put over 100 rounds down in under 2 minutes and barely had the Chicom barrel on my Norinco (slightly thinner than the 308 but thicker than most AKM barrels) and barely had it smoking. 308 is going to be hotter with the added powder, but I think the additional barrel thickness is going to help. You wont be bending or warping anything anytime soon. Just have fun with it, and go with the rectal thermometer like I do ;)

Oral or rectal is is fine. Just don't go rectal first and the switch to oral. Ever. With anything. Under any circumstances.

I just remebered have a fancy digital surface thermo gun at work (like they use on racing tires). we use them for the grills, etc. I'm gonna borrow that and take it to the range next time I go.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Why punish the saiga by heating it up for no reason with sustained fire? I lube my saiga with moly and run one mag as fast as i can and still be accurate making each shot count. Just to see if i'm as good as the gun is.

If there was room for a clamp on heat sink with fins that would cool the barrel like the 1927 thompson machine guns had it would cool the barrel on the saiga's more.

Edited by Unknown Poster