Legion Saiga 12 433A (030) arrived today! [PICS]

Well, after a little over a week of anticipation my new Saiga 12 arrived yesterday! I had been going back and forth on what to buy, or possibly even wait for the highly anticipated Vepr-12...but after some considerations (and my overall lack of patience) I decided to buy the Legion Saiga 12 433A from Atlantic Firearms.

This is a very close representation of the 030 Saiga 12 model. It does not have the rail under the gas-block. If someone wanted, they could swap out the gas block with a railed version that is available from K-Var. Personally, I have to need for it so it will stay as it sits.

First off, let me say that dealing with Atlantic was great. I placed my order for this gun on August 28th. Atlantics website says shipping times will be 4-5 days from the order, so I was geared up to wait a good two weeks before getting my grubby hands on this beast. Imagine my surprise when I logged onto my e-mail the next day to see a FedEx tracking number from Atlantic telling me that the gun has been shipped! So I ended up getting the gun in just over a week.

It doesn't stop there either. The picture on Atlantic Firearms site shows this gun with a Tapco SAW grip and standard thread protector on the end of the barrel. Well, when I eagerly opened the box I found that it was fitted with an MD-Arms MOLOT style grip and a Red Jacket Immobilizer muzzle brake! This was more than a pleasant surprise because I already had plans to change to the MOLOT style grip (not a fan of the Tapco SAW), and the RJF muzzle brake retails for $90. The only thing I plan on changing in the near future is the buttstock, I'd prefer the K-Var Warsaw length stock over the Tapco, but for now the Tapco is perfectly adequate.

Atlantic did the conversion on this as well and as far as I can tell here are the parts that were used;

MD-Arms Molot grip ($20 retail)

Tapco buttstock ($30 retail)

RAM trigger guard ($35 retail)

Tapco G2 trigger ($30 retail)

Some people may not like the RAM bolt-on trigger-guard as they prefer them to be riveted on, but I have no issue with them and have used them before on conversions I have done. They still use what looks like the Tromix shepherds crook to retain the axis pins. I'll probably change this out to a Krebs retaining plate as it's easier to work with.

Whether or not you want to buy the converted, or un-converted one will be up to you, but hopefully this will help you gauge the actual cost difference between them if you plan to do the conversion yourself.

On to some pics!

7950920566_a59fb954e2_h_d.jpg

7950917502_64cb04ec7c_h_d.jpg

7950914638_6ddfdd275f_h_d.jpg

7950911698_4f7003101e_h_d.jpg

7950913536_fe576f1f06_h_d.jpg

The hinged top-cover is great. Very solid, so I would have zero issues mounting a decent red-dot on top of it.

I've already put about 50 rounds through it of mixed slugs and buckshot. Everything fed and ejected great. I'll run a few more through to "break it in" before I try some of the lower powered shot.

I cant' comment on how well the RJF brake works, as I was never able to shoot it without the brake attached. I can say that there is not much muzzle climb though, which I think was the main design purpose of this brake.

All in all, I am more than happy with this gun!

• Like 3

What kind of mags does it take and whats the largest mag you've found for it?

The largest I've found are 8 round on legion's website - $100 each!!!!

http://legionusainc.com/saiga-12-izhmash-original-magwell-magazine-8-round-iz-408.html

Seeing this factory magwell brings a few questions to mind:

Will this become the standard overtime - if not for just mag well'd AK's shotties, but for all AK shotties.

Is this compatible with Vepr Mag Wells coming to US shores? It appears so, but I don't want to assume.

Will IZ AK Rifles be offered with magwells from the factory? I can't find any such beast.

What kind of mags does it take and whats the largest mag you've found for it?

The largest I've found are 8 round on legion's website - $100 each!!!!

http://legionusainc....und-iz-408.html

Seeing this factory magwell brings a few questions to mind:

Will this become the standard overtime - if not for just mag well'd AK's shotties, but for all AK shotties.

Is this compatible with Vepr Mag Wells coming to US shores? It appears so, but I don't want to assume.

Will IZ AK Rifles be offered with magwells from the factory? I can't find any such beast.

SGM Tactical have released their 10 and 12 round magazines for these, expect to see them for sale in the next week or so.

Took it out to the range again this morning to put a few more rounds through it. I shot;

Remington Low Recoil slugs

Remington High Velocity slugs (1oz and 7/8 oz)

RIO slugs

Federal Slugs

Federal 00 Buckshot

Federal 000 Buckshot

Winchester Ranger 00 Buckshot

Fiocchi #5 shot

Fiocchi #7 shot

It ran everything. No problems feeding or ejecting, these were all 2 3/4" shells. The last round bolt-hold-open works perfectly, and the gun has just been nothing short of impressive.

I also brought out one of my AKM's that I needed to get sighted in. It was a great way to start the weekend! Here's a couple pics of the pair...

7960614712_d7f08d726c_h_d.jpg

7960609298_70b5b66a87_h_d.jpg

• Like 1

I am sure it is paracord or something.... but the first thing I thought was, " why did he steal all of his girlfriend/wife's hair ties and put them on his AK mag?" 021.gif

Yeah, when I was wrapping the stock I was trying it out on the magazine. I keep meaning to take it off but whenever I think about it it's never around to actually do it!

I'd really like to see the inner workings of the auto regulating system on one of these. I have an Auto Plug and I'm sure it's not the same principle of operation. If you have a chance shoot some pics of it please.

I'd really like to see the inner workings of the auto regulating system on one of these. I have an Auto Plug and I'm sure it's not the same principle of operation. If you have a chance shoot some pics of it please.

From my quick look when I picked it up, I can't really see much in terms of a regulating system. If there is something allowing it to bleed off over-pressure it's not easily visible. I'll rip into it tonight and get a few pics though

I took it apart tonight. Nothing I can really see denoting a self-regulating system. It has a different puck and piston system than the usually S-12, but that's pretty well known and pics of them are readily available. I can see some gas bleed off at the bottom of there the gas tube enters the gas block. Can't really tell if that's intended, or just because of a loose tolerance.