As I see threads of the AK/AR adapter... it dawns on me how cool this looks. And from a mechanical standpoint it makes sense. An AR uses the "mag well" to stabilize it's magazines. An AK doesn't require that, but what if one was to weld "side supports" (mag well) to his AK? An open box, squared at the rear (latch side), but open at the front (allowing "rock")? Wouldn't that be the best of both worlds? It would still allow the "rock and lock" of the AK mag design, but also support and stabilize mags as well. I'm surprised that hasn't been a popular mod, yet probably because I'm overlooking something? I don't see a drawback with the "mod" design, but only positives. Someone enlighten me :-)

It costs too much to try and retrofit a new design. No one is going to spend extra on an item for a problem they don't have. Maybe someone with a WASR that has a serious mag well issue would consider it, but since the AK is already as reliable as it needs to be, no one has interest enough to spend money on it

All very good points! I was just curious. I realize it's not needed, but just thought it looked cool. I'm glad the responses where as they were. Just shows how AK guys are "it works", vs AR guys are "how tacticool does it look?". haha! I sometimes think AR guys have this OCD thing where they have to bolt up as much stuff as they can possibly fit on their AR just because it exists. But the AK crowd is a true "keep it simple" crowd and I LIKE THAT! :-)

sounds like an answer in search of a question.... along the lines of why fix what aint broken... <shrug>

The AK has worked just fine for a LONG time without a magwell... why try to re-engineer the wheel...

000.gif

Says the guy with a kushnapup....

• Like 1

Krebs made something for awhile that was like a long, one sided magwell designed to aid in lining up the mag for insertion. I dunno if its still offered. Other than eliminating the use of drums, it can't hurt to have... but I dunno just how useful it would be. If you have issues locking in mags quickly, you can either buy a $50-100 attachment... or practice for free. I know what I would pick.

sounds like an answer in search of a question.... along the lines of why fix what aint broken...

The AK has worked just fine for a LONG time without a magwell... why try to re-engineer the wheel...

000.gif

Says the guy with a kushnapup....

Shorter total overall package, Enhanced weight distribution, potentially better ergonomics (depending on design/manufacturer)

I think a bullpup in and for ANY rifle/shotgun configuration is a bit different than a magazine guide for an already simple insertion technique. Comparing apples to oranges?!?! laugh.png

000.gif