Hello

I'm looking to do a PSL build. I plan to use a M76 receiver with a PSL kit. I plan to re-weld the receiver I’m going to buy to receivers just in case I mess up but I doubt that will happen. Id like to keep this build fairly cheap. Here are my following questions.

Are Mosin Nagant barrels a heavier contour then a PSL barrel I have a Mosin Nagant I bought for virtually nothing .

because it did not have a bolt, I was thinking about using it its the longer variant.

I have also read that M39 Fin barrels are great they have a thicker contour and better made, can anyone confirm this. I would also like to know were I can purchase one because buying a custom barrel would be prohibitively expensive.

I have a Ron Smith Vortex flash hider would this work on this build seem like a good part to add. I'm guessing that it might need to be bored over a little to work not sure honestly how to make it work.

I would also like to know were to get magazines for it, and if anyone knows how to convert Bren magazines to feed reliably.

I was also thinking about a 303 barrel from Pac-Nor barrels. medium weight Polygonal. Id like to get as much fps and accuracy out of the barrel and rifle I live in wide open areas and if a poly barrel will give 200 300 fps that’s a big plus. Id like to keep the barrel length around 26 to 28 inches depending on how much fps I can squeeze out with a medium contour barrel. Also I would need someone to chamber the barrel in 762x54r, is there anyone locally that can do that?

I would also like to know were to get decent furniture to adjust the length of pull and so on. Some type of Draganov furniture would be the ticket. I may need to mill out a portion of the lower receiver to make it happen idk. Maybe some one makes M76 furniture similar to Draganov furniture I do want it to be polymer. I do need to figure something out because the build will be on a M76 receiver.

Also Im not sure how well the bolt hold open works on PSL and not sure if I’m willing to tinker with it to make it work.

I am also curious what would be the best way to mount a rail to it, I was thinking about laying a nice bead with a Tig welder to ensure zero.

I would also like to polish the bolt make sure that all surfaces are DE-bured to avoid any choke points.

I would also like to refinish with "tenifer" to avoid the affects of corrosive ammo. Id like to do this without loosing the temper on any major parts so the barrel and bolt and receiver may get this treatment coating, so long as it does not affect the internal strength of the steel. I need more information on this but believe it could be done on this type of build.

Ive also thought about experimenting with trying to get the bolt carrier to be perfectly balanced so it goes straight back, not sure how to do this but I was thinking about gluing something to the bolt a little heavier then right side charging handle under the machine cover and seeing if accuracy improves at all then maybe going with a more permanent solution. I would need to do some math and measuring to figure out the exact amount of weight. The theory would be to remove as much of the torquing forces as possible without drastic changes.

I would also need blue prints for the PSL receiver to make sure that everything is drilled in the correct spot, I’m not sure to find them. Id like to find a blue print and rap it around the receiver just to see were I’m at and what it needs.

Things that I would like to do to my build include, keeping a long barrel to get a full powder burn, and the capability to run heavy ball ammo, does anyone know of a stiffer spring that I can install to retard the action, or a way to adjust the gas system simply and cheaply. I have seen a gas adjustment after market gas block but not a whole lot on the verdict of functionality. It also seems that a lot of people are running heavy ball with no issues. I believe its not as much as an issue as people would like to believe. I have read some posts on the internet were the only portion of the PSL affected by heavy ball was the rear of the receiver due to bolt strikes. I also want to keep the weight somewhat down maybe fluting the barrel would be good. I don’t want this to be a bench rest rifle. I plan to build a custom trigger off a tapco trigger not sure if I will do an over travel double stage not sure on any of that.

My goal is 1.5 MOA to 2 MOA, without breaking the bank. Crazy project.

I would appreciate any advice on this build and any details I may have missed as well as any suggestions and recommendations.

Thanks......

Edited by Anunaki

You wanna do all that without breaking the bank? Hahaha!! Youre talking a lot if custom work. I think by the time its done you could have bought a real Dragonov.

The best way to mount the rail is the way its done on all AKs.

hmmm.... Funny thing is... MY psl will shoot 5 rounds under a quarter all day long at 100 yards with reloads, and 1.5' groups with Wolf black box and czech silver tip ammo... I paid about 675 for it... with optic. although I switched up to an 8 power from the factory 4...

That not accurate enough for you with ZERO work???? ( other than rezeroing a new scope?? )

Seems with your wish list to get 2 MOA you might as well just burn your cash and jerk off while it turns to ash.... cause thats about what you can expect from the strange notions you have floating around in your head...

I cant even understand where you got all this superfluous and irrational firearm jargon?!? you been playing on ARFCOM again??? :eek::unsure: Honestly... you sound like a child repeating all the cool stuff he heard while his dad and his friends were over, without having a clue what they were talking about from the beginning... Sorry... JUST BUY a PSL... it will already give you 1.5 to 2 MOA accuracy and you dont have to DO ANYTHNG much less try to be a super machinist/gunsmith and fabricate some frankengun...

smoke:

I would also like to know,ive also thought,I have also read,I would also need,you might want to slow down on thinking your going to build your own rifle with all those questions and insecurities it sounds like you want your hand held or maybe someone to magically build this mythical rifle for you good luck sweetie.

Ok guys thanks for the info, I may go just go ahead a build a PSL kit useing Classic Arms Reciever and do just that call it good. Thanks for the advice. Ive heard this forum goes on tangents lol seems quite true. None the less thanks for the advice. Your right I did have alot of ideas ive been kicking around, seems like not to many people know whats out there. I would like to have an adjustable gas stystem by black horse. Ill prolly hold off on this build for a little while.

Edited by Anunaki

I still don't know the whole story on Daniel... Why does he stalk this forum?

To better our lives by making us realize that there will always be complete and total idiots out there with very strong opinions.

Yarp thank you for your quote im going to share it with my Sunday school class