It is going to depend on a LOT of factors... PREDOMINANTLY... your personal shotguns BARREL....

Shoot a box or two each of all the manufacturers "smoothbore" slugs... and pattern each brand and type... and then the one that patterns BEST... stick with THOSE...

There IS NO RIGHT ANSWER... There is NO "THIS ONE WORKS EVERYTIME"...

Sorry....

I have seen some guns shoot remington sluggers like laserbeams... others shoot them into 12 inch groups at 100 yards... Others want a federal Tru-ball... Some GOTTA have a winchester superX... It depends on YOUR shotgun, and your barrel... and how you shoot... just gotta TRY and find the ones that work best for YOU...

:smoke:

For many years my uncles would brag about the brenneke rifles slugs for smooth bore shotguns. I find them to be very accurate too. I have also shot the sabbot slugs out of my smoothbores too. These are for rifled bores but the accuracy is still good enough to hunt with too.

Without rifling to give a sabot slug some spin... its going to tumble... and accuracy WILL be impeded at some point... Just sayin.. Not like foster slugs are THAT much better... but they at least are DESIGNED for smotthbores.

For many years my uncles would brag about the brenneke rifles slugs for smooth bore shotguns. I find them to be very accurate too. I have also shot the sabbot slugs out of my smoothbores too. These are for rifled bores but the accuracy is still good enough to hunt with too.

Without rifling to give a sabot slug some spin... its going to tumble... and accuracy WILL be impeded at some point... Just sayin.. Not like foster slugs are THAT much better... but they at least are DESIGNED for smotthbores.

000.gif

Most of the brenneke type are designed for smoothbores. They are basically a foster with a permanently attached wad acting as a tail fin. I read up on this a couple of years ago on a slug hunting forum, and people consistently reported better performance with these than with any fosters. They are the more common type in Europe, but are pricey here, which is why I haven't tried them yet.

• Like 1

I have used brenneke slugs... STAY AWAY from the KO's though... they do not perform as well as the expensive ones.. the brenneke GOLD were my slug of choice till EVERYONE stopped carrying them locally!!! 2" groups with a rifled barrel at 100 yards!!!! Thats IMPRESSIVE!!!!

Thanks for the info Indy. Aren't the Rem Buckhammers basically trying to mimic the design without crossing patents?

ctd-- also good news. I feel like I do better with mine, but I haven't taken the time to prove it yet.

I will NOT shoot buckhammers.... I tried some of the 3" ones ONCE.... got two through the gun... you wanna talk PAIN?!?!?!?!? OH MY LORD!!!!! I had to put the foam from my rifle case between the shotgun and my shoulder for the last three... :eek: YIKES they kick like fucking MULES!!!!

• 1 month later...

I just ran a case of PMC "One Shot", 1oz, 2 3/4, 1600fps thru my MKA and they were surprisingly accurate and consistent for a relatively inexpensive slug. The downside is that they are dirty as hell leaving tons of carbon and lead. They must be using surplus gunpowder from the Korean war and super-soft lead.

Did a little autopsy on one to snoop the components, it's a typical Brenneke knockoff with concave tip protrusion and rifled ribs without a lacquer coating. The hull is 16mm brass and the wad is a pretty ingenious little 2 piece polyolefin or ABS that mates with the slug. The powder is 26.5 gr of a pale gray flake which I have never seen before and the primer is not identifiable.

IMG 0486

IMG 0479

IMG 0452

IMG 0451

IMG 0447

IMG 0448

• Like 1

I will NOT shoot buckhammers.... I tried some of the 3" ones ONCE.... got two through the gun... you wanna talk PAIN?!?!?!?!? OH MY LORD!!!!! I had to put the foam from my rifle case between the shotgun and my shoulder for the last three... 015.gif YIKES they kick like fucking MULES!!!!

000.gif

Time to take that piece of monte carlo stock off of your not so kushy-pup, saw that tang and put on a good kickeez pad. ;)

I will NOT shoot buckhammers.... I tried some of the 3" ones ONCE.... got two through the gun... you wanna talk PAIN?!?!?!?!? OH MY LORD!!!!! I had to put the foam from my rifle case between the shotgun and my shoulder for the last three... 015.gif YIKES they kick like fucking MULES!!!!

000.gif

Time to take that piece of monte carlo stock off of your not so kushy-pup, saw that tang and put on a good kickeez pad. wink.png

Except buckhammers were fired through the rifled barrel of my mossberg. Why would I shoot them through a smoothbore?!?!?