Gas system conversion to standard AK format

With apologies to Dinzag if they are a contributing member here, or any other company that sells this set up, piece of history firearms, etc.

Seriously. WTF? Why is this so expensive?

I cant afford the Dinzag kit, POHF is slightly better but Im forced to send away for the service.

I mostly get how this works but Im still struggling with a few things, any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

I suppose i should mention that this conversion is strictly for my own entertainment. I've NO desire to attempt to repoduce and sell these parts, I'm busy enough with the construction crap I do. (self employed) i've NO desire to attempt to sell firearm parts.... sounds like major work, I hate work.

At any rate, going off pictures it appears to be a RSB consisting of several parts merged together.

Heres my best guess, a regular RSB that has the barrel ring and rear notch that locks into the trunion cut off so its straight, then somehow the rsb of the 12 is top trimmed so the bottom "lugs" fit the trunnion and lay on the large barrel.

Heres where I get lost, I think I could take both of those items and have it fabricated but the rear of the sight block contains a groove to house the dust cover. The 7.62 and 5. whatever are interchangable. ( For the record I have a spare bulgy 5.whatsit that Ive been playing with) but the large 12 guage cover wont go into the rifle blocks. Perhaps it will in the 7.62, that would be my luck.

Im assuming its some alchemistic metalurgy magic that creates this and its probably not cheap.

However I strongly suspect that there exists a way to create this paticular bit of awesomeness without spending the cost of the gun.

Again, no sales, just one personal firearm.

PM if site sponsers sell this as Ive no desire to cheat them out of hard earned funds.

I just dont see it being possible for me to pay their freight. And I REALLY want my S12 to be in this configuration.

Thanks and apologies if Ive crossed a line here.

Seriously. WTF? Why is this so expensive?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supply_and_demand

A better option for you would be to sell your iz-109 and get a s12 030 type and convert it. The conversion is easy if you know how to use/have access to a drill press and a dremel...

http://legionusainc.com/iz-433-saiga-12-030-type.html

They even have free shipping atm.

Yes, i see. Perhaps we are not on the same page.

Please forgive me if Im wrong but it seems you are refering to the simple act of a pistol grip conversion?

I cant see any other use for those two tools. Though honestly I only needed the hand drill, a drill press which I do happen to own seemed over kill for the S12 conversion and the rifle conversion i recently wrapped up... mostly... front two blocks need to be pinned.. ahem, sorry, a dremel also seems rather clumsy to try and cut a rear sight block, a metal cutting blade on the band saw, or table saw or my little chop saw would be much more accurate.

Im at a loss as to how a drill and dremel converts the rear sight block into a different one. Ok, maybe not all that different, but still....???

Perhaps there was a specific list of parts you neglected to add to the tool list? Like, original s12 gas tube w/site base, AKM rear site base and blah, blah, cut here, here and here, drill here ( I cant wrap my head around what would need drilling here but Im the idiot asking the question so..) then weld this to that making sure to place so and so exactly in such and such position.. and so forth.

If you actually do know of a way to combine the original s12 with a AK style sight block using a drill press and dremel Id love to hear it.

That being the probably very poorly worded reason for my initial post and all.

The supply and demand link was .... well, sure, I deserved that. Sorry. Was venting.

Any one with actual knowledge on how to do this care to chime in?

Sorry, dont mean to come off as a dick here, just mildly frustrated this option has very little info avaiilable.

Hell, I'd buy the block only if that were an option, (I really hope Im remembering correctly and its not or Ill be an even bigger tool!)

ive tubes, random parts and the other retainers enough to fabricate something to accomadate the larger barrel of a shotgun. If it were not for the dust cover issue I can easily see how to weld up the two parts into a workable rear sight block that now accepts a standard AK gas tube with retainers.

Perhaps this is where your dremel comes into play sir, from the back a cut down then forward (like a capitol L that has been reversed and then knocked down by the local alphabet bully) this might allow the upper portion of the AK block to fit the cover but I think the lugs that fit into the front of the trunnion would then be in an undesirable posistion.

I will need to actually go play with the parts to be sure but I dont see that as an option either.

In any case, I do appreciate the response. If there were in fact some condencending misunderstandings on your end i can only assume they were caused by me, so, um, sorry.

Cheers all.

I converted mine over. I modded an ak rear sight and it's got a removable ak gas tube. I have yet to paint it. But test fired and all the welds held and it ran like a champ. Alittle bit of work but well worth it to me in the long run. It looks right at home with the ak100 stock I swapped in.

I converted mine over. I modded an ak rear sight and it's got a removable ak gas tube. I have yet to paint it. But test fired and all the welds held and it ran like a champ. Alittle bit of work but well worth it to me in the long run. It looks right at home with the ak100 stock I swapped in.

Edited by destroytec

If you actually do know of a way to combine the original s12 with a AK style sight block using a drill press and dremel Id love to hear it.

That being the probably very poorly worded reason for my initial post and all.

Did you even bother to look? The AK sight block is on the saiga 12's on Legions website.. have a look.

Further messages will be TL;DR'd

Edited by S12KS-K

I strongly suspect that there exists a way to create this paticular bit of awesomeness without spending the cost of the gun.

there is, and S12KS-K already told you how to do it - sell your current S12 then buy the S12 030 from LEGION, that already comes with the RSB and the gas tube, which is what you want.

Edited by Matthew Hopkins

I understand your frustration. I am looking to do the same thing, but I do not want a Vepr or an 030 because they both have the combo gas block/fsb and they both have the magwell, neither of which is what I want to end up with. I bought a yugo rpk rsb with the idea of modifying it to work, but have not started that project yet. Right now the POHF option is looking better, at least it would be done when it gets back. Still undecided though, I would like to do it myself, but it would be simpler to just send it off.

If you can't figure out a way to do it yourself, like some of us have, then you have to pay the price someone else is asking for their own creative design. It's really that simple. Otherwise buy another Saiga or Vepr that already has it.

• Like 2

I did my S-12 with Ak RSB and removable gas tube. If you have access to the tools and a welder its not too tough to do it.

Just search old threads for help

http://forum.saiga-1...ase-on-an-s-12/

http://forum.saiga-12.com/index.php?/topic/79283-saiga-12-with-ak47-upper-and-lower-forearm-grips/#entry788960

http://forum.saiga-1...150#entry749923

My S-12

post-6703-0-13951100-1354323488_thumb.jpg

Edited by superhawk138