Odd Man Out asking for your opinion to help decide

5.56 will work, I have taken hogs and deer with it too. I only use SP for hunting, whatever the caliber, and shot placement is always key. The thing I found with the 5.56 round is it is more easily deflected by a small branch or tall grass. Anyone who has spent anytime in the woods knows that sometimes you don't always get perfect shoot placement for any number reasons ...All I am saying is if SHTF and dinner depends on what I bring out of the woods I am taking something larger than 5.56.

They just passed new regs here to let you hunt hogs, yotes, and dillos with NV on private land......I haven't had time to fully read up on the new regs but I have asked Santa for a NV Scope. rolleyes.gif

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I would strongly suggest a rifle. A pistol is just a tool to get you back to your rifle. I would go with 7.62x39 as it is the most prevalent cheap ammo, wouldn't be that hard to add another caliber.

Slugs in your S-12 are better than a .45 at any range. I would likely not use either past 100yds. Spend the $ on slugs and start practicing! I have gotten consistant 6" groups @ 100yds. with slugs t

I don't think you can beat an AK platform rifle right now.   Cheap and easy to run & maintain. Relatively cheap ammo.   Both widely available right now.     IMO, a .45ACP carbine is kind o

They just passed new regs here to let you hunt hogs, yotes, and dillos...... rolleyes.gif

As in armadillos? What do you hunt those for? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but when I was in graduate school in TN. you southern boys eat some funky things. I have had to finish off many an armadillo because for some reason my German shepard did not like them. LOL.

• Like 1

They just passed new regs here to let you hunt hogs, yotes, and dillos...... rolleyes.gif

As in armadillos? What do you hunt those for? I'm not trying to be a smarta$$ but when I was in graduate school in TN. you southern boys eat some funky things. I have had to finish off many an armadillo because for some reason my German shepard did not like them. LOL.

Yes sir armadillos....I don't hunt them specifically and I don't eat them...but the landowners/farmers that grant me access ask that I remove them from their property if the opportunity arises..they are destructive little critters....

Yes sir armadillos....I don't hunt them specifically and I don't eat them...but the landowners/farmers that grant me access ask that I remove them from their property if the opportunity arises..they are destructive little critters....

And carry lerprosy as well. You can walk right up to them if you go slowly enough because they have terrible eyesight.

Odd man, where ya at on this?

Man I am as uncertain as to which will be my pick as a young girl with her Barbie dolls... I know that this is the wrong forum to say this but I am leaning away from the AK side of things -- I am searching for a highly accurate mid to long distance piece for hunting and survival. My thoughts on high capacity is changing -- don't think I will need to either take snap shots or "spray" targets at mid to long distances. I just don't see things getting hairy at distances farther than 100 yards at most in a SHTF sit. If funds were unlimited I think I'd settle on the 24 inch RFB but since they arn't I am leaning towards a bolt action .308 or 30-06. That's today... As I said, things are swirlin.

CRAP!!!

The coming AWB has really got me freaked out I gotta admit so I succumbed to the temptations of the dark side. I found a really good deal on a FS-2000 on Gunsamerica.com and jumped on it. If things work out I will be the proud (with a capital "P") owner of a evil black bullpup. I know, I know, it really doesn't fit my criteria but I figure my chances of buying a bolt action rifle in the future are going to be a lot better than grabbing a "assault weapon".

So, I guess my question has been answered in a way and I will of course post picts of the beauty when I get her.

P.S. Now my friends, could you help me by telling me how I'm to break this news to my wife????electric_shock.gifcry.gif

• Like 2

Great choice Odd Man. I love those rifles and want one myself. FNH makes a very quality product. Congrats brother. As for tellin your ol lady. Well, just be honest. Its an investment and will become a great asset to anyones tool box.

• Like 2