Hi guys!

I told ya all I went and bought this thing. Well, they were right, it shoots like a dream! Smooth light trigger, nice round (7.5x55) and dead on nuts accuracy. $99 @ Dunhams.

I couldent help myself.....I sanded down the beech stock and stained it dark walnut. Used hand rub polyurothane clear (Minwax) satin. And mounted a bipod. Yes, I had to drill a hole. I cant ever post pics of this on the harcore collector site, because they will have a heart attack and call me "Bubba". I ordered a 8x32-50mm illuminated scope from sportsmans guide, cant wait until it gets here! I used Mcguires leather conditioner on the sling. Cobra76two, Hows that .303 Brit comming along?

post-1374-1130809380_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1130809390_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1130809404_thumb.jpg

Pistonring8,

Nice rifle & good finishing job. It is an intriguing weapon given its history and accuracy. You can't beat the price either. Seems like the price of ammo for it is a little steep though. It is not as readily available as .223, 7.62, or .308.

I think it would be neat as either a precision target rifle or an inexpensive scout as has been suggested on this forum in the past.

Wolverine :smoke:

I picked one of those up a about two months ago. I think they can't be beat for the price, although ammo is a little high, its not crazy priced and a great shooter. The GP-11 that you can still get is the highest grade mil-surplus ammo I've every used. Very clean, fires every time and consistent so i don't have a problem spending a little more.

You can bubba all you want, its your rifle, your money your time.

-JTP

Good job. Who cares about "purists" this is a great shooter, it is not a great collectable with a war provenance. So do what YOU like with it. Also Birchwood Casey's gun sheath works as well on old leather as anything else I have found.

G O B

My scope came yesterday, I sat it on top of the rifle to get an idea of how I'm gonna mount it to clear for top ejection. It looked like a good photo op. so I took a few pics.

Its a Barska 8-32x50mm illuminated. $100 from the Sportsman's Guide. I am very surprised at the quality and clarity. I was expecting much less for the price.

I read on a website that if I mount an optic 3 1/3"-3 1/2" above the barrel on this rifle that the trajectory between the barrel and scope will make the bullet land at "zero" from 100 all the way up to 350 yards. Making compensation for drop unessesary. Ofcourse Im gonna hafta mount the scope a bit off to the left, this might add a windage prob. to the equasion, I dunno. Something to do with crossing axis and stuff. I cant wait to try it out at long range. This will keep me busy for awhile!

I got the name tag under the buttplate too. I might write a letter to the guy (or his family) when I get some time. Thats such a cool little bit of history. I wish that I had more funds, I would buy up a dozen of these rifles! Ammo is not so bad from AIM or the other place and shipping is reasonable.

post-1374-1131497169_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1131497185_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1131497195_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1131497203_thumb.jpg

I am going to comment on the optics...

I think you will find you got a great bargain, on a DECENT optic. I own SEVERAL Barska scopes... even have one on the BMG... they do indeed have exceptional clarity and are a very good optic for an inexpensive price. They are not a Swarovski, or a Zeiss... but then again, you arent paying a thousand plus for a scope...but looking thru one, I wouldnt be suprised to note you may have a hard time telling the difference... they are *THAT* bright, crisp and clear!

I have one on my Ruger 10/22, one on my Ar-15 and as mentioned the one on the .50 BMG... I have had ZERO problems with any of them, and all retain zero very well, and adjust properly...

GREAT optics for the price, I recommend them to anyone that asks me about inexpensive optics.

:smoke:

Thank you Indy. I was gonna PM you, and ask exactly that, before I bought it. I was actually gonna buy the x40 scope that you put on your BMG because it had a longer parallex adjustment and a rage finder. But decided on the x32 because of the price. (Actually it was as much as the wife would allow!) And this rifle wont be able to reach that far effectively anyway.

Im very impressed with the quality after looking it over and looking through it. I never heard of "Guide Gear" before, but after reading your post about it and realised that Barska was making these for Sportsman's who was slapping another name on it....I felt much better about ordering it.

What I was really worried about is the scope holding zero and tunning in properly. Thank you for the feedback, Im not worried anymore. If a Barska scope can hold up to your monster .50 it will handle the Swiss kick with no prob!

On a side note, my wife thinks that it looks rediculous. She said, "Are you going to be shooting at the space station or something"? She wants to know why I have to go overboard on everything...lol like my car engines and AK modifications. I told her its a guy thing. Ofcorse, at the time I was reading license plates from cars across the river!

Thanks Indy!

I have to agree on the scopes. My latest is one of their 6.5-20x50's I put on my 17HMR. I've been using several of their scopes for awhile now.

They have good eye relief for guns with recoil (Mossy 835 w/ slugs) and take a beating. Also got one on my muzzleloader. I think the one on my H&R Ultra Slugger is a BSA I got from SG as well.

Best thing about getting them thru SG is you can usually get free rings & lens caps or flip-ups.

Lookin good pistonring :smoke:

The wood is beautiful on that baby! I wish my British .303 was that pretty. It looks more like a big turd with a bolt and barrel sticking out of it. A well handled turd at that! I may have to go for one of those aftermarket Monte Carlo stocks and scope mount.

Wow that scope you got must be over half the length or the rifle. You should be able to see the rings around Saturn with that bad boy! Find a real tall tower and aim towards NC and I'll waive at ya! LOL

Seriously though that's gonna be a cool little sniper setup :up:

Hi guys!

I told ya all I went and bought this thing. Well, they were right, it shoots like a dream! Smooth light trigger, nice round (7.5x55) and dead on nuts accuracy. $99 @ Dunhams.

I couldent help myself.....I sanded down the beech stock and stained it dark walnut. Used hand rub polyurothane clear (Minwax) satin. And mounted a bipod. Yes, I had to drill a hole. I cant ever post pics of this on the harcore collector site, because they will have a heart attack and call me "Bubba". I ordered a 8x32-50mm illuminated scope from sportsmans guide, cant wait until it gets here! I used Mcguires leather conditioner on the sling. Cobra76two, Hows that .303 Brit comming along?

Dude, nice rifle and all, but BUBBA YOU ARE! There were less than 75,000 of those made! At LEAST buy a new stock to mess up!!!! :cryss: I have no problem with non-permanent modifications COME ON!

Not trying to start a fight, but the rarity and future value of that rifle were just shot point blank with an S-12 in the face.

75,000 Jeeesh, what was I thinking?! I should have put this baby in a glass case as soon as I brought it home. Im sorry, you must have mistaken this rifle for a rare collector. I got this one from a sporting goods store that got it from Century Arms. It even has the scriber lettering all over it from them. Its a $99 Swiss rifle made in 1953. It never saw war or conflict or (by the looks of it) a clean rag.

:lolol: The Dunhams across the river has a TON of these, I think Im going to buy 2 more. I'll paint one pink for my wife with little tasles hanging from the barrel, and let the other one sit around collecting dust for thirty years, by then it will be selling for $200!!!! thats a 100% increase!

You "vintage" guys amaze me. Ive heard the same thing about the ones worth leaving alone! SKS, the M1 the K98 and the Turk 98, the only thing that gained any value or historical significance was the damned ammo. Besides, its not even an American rifle, or one thats ever seen war of any kind whatsoever! Yes, I am Bubba. But Im tellin ya buddy, your missing out on a great rifle. These MFers are MADE to be scoped! What a shooter! I have burned up 60 rounds of GP11 already shooting at targets that I cant even see with the naked eye! Once I got this sighted in, I had no probs. plinking beer cans off a fence post @ 250 yards. I have never shot anything this accurate in my life! There is a case of GP11 on its way here as I type this. I plan to shoot it all up. Then Im gonna buy more and shoot that all up too!

You guys collect the GP11 ammo too right?

Make sure you post a link to my Bubba K-31 on the Swiss rifle forum so they can all seeth with anger!

I love this rifle. To me it is not only the best long range shooter I have ever owned, (I am very poor :lolol: ) but it is beautiful.

I have some old beer cans out in the recycling bin if you want to collect them. One might be from the Regan era, and could be worth real money some day because there were only a gazillion of them made!

:lolol: Thanks for the shot of pureism, Ill save it for an unissued US rifle.

Dunhams Sporting Goods (Where most of us in the northeast got our Saigas) has been selling these for $99 for about a year or so. Between the 3 stores in my area, they are sitting on about 100 of them. Good rifle. Im very impressed with its performance, Im just not into the whole "Swiss history" part of it. They are inported by CAI who has thier info engraved all over the reciever. A store called "Big5" also carries these from what I've heard.

Hey, let all the Crufflers know that if you refinish your rifle, essentially "ruining" its vast historical lineage, it drives up the value of thiers! I figured they should thank me....huh?

75,000 Jeeesh, what was I thinking?! I should have put this baby in a glass case as soon as I brought it home. Im sorry, you must have mistaken this rifle for a rare collector. I got this one from a sporting goods store that got it from Century Arms. It even has the scriber lettering all over it from them. Its a $99 Swiss rifle made in 1953. It never saw war or conflict or (by the looks of it) a clean rag.

of the 75000 made less than 50% made it to america, I know 75000 is a big number (at least to you) but THE ONLY REASON these are expensive is the caliber they are in is cheap to shoot. When someone starts making affordable ammo the price will jump.

Also, you think this thing will never have any collector value right? Kinda like the 1911 mil-surps from 20 years ago (my dad used to see them for $50 each, now they go for over $1000, and there were MORE 1911s made than swiss K-31s!) or maybe the venerable M1?

:lolol: The Dunhams across the river has a TON of these, I think Im going to buy 2 more. I'll paint one pink for my wife with little tasles hanging from the barrel, and let the other one sit around collecting dust for thirty years, by then it will be selling for $200!!!! thats a 100% increase!
do so if you wish, your guns your perogative, I was just pointing out that (much like my father who passed on the $50 1911s) you are gunna kick yourself in 30 years when you sell this thing.

You "vintage" guys amaze me. Ive heard the same thing about the ones worth leaving alone! SKS, the M1 the K98 and the Turk 98, the only thing that gained any value or historical significance was the damned ammo. Besides, its not even an American rifle, or one thats ever seen war of any kind whatsoever! Yes, I am Bubba. But Im tellin ya buddy, your missing out on a great rifle. These MFers are MADE to be scoped! What a shooter! I have burned up 60 rounds of GP11 already shooting at targets that I cant even see with the naked eye! Once I got this sighted in, I had no probs. plinking beer cans off a fence post @ 250 yards. I have never shot anything this accurate in my life! There is a case of GP11 on its way here as I type this. I plan to shoot it all up. Then Im gonna buy more and shoot that all up too!

1. it isn't the fact that it was made by america or friggen zimbabwe, its the fact that there were so few made and that it is a quite unique design.

2. Even if it didn't see action that doesn't mean it doesn't have a rich history all it's own.

3. they were made to be scoped, with a mount that clamps on like my friend's here.

http://www.sksboards.com/forum/viewtopic.p...9&highlight=k31

Its a non-permanent mod that he will not regret when he sells it.

4. Have fun shooting your rifle, even if we don't agree on the modifications at least we can agree on the enjoyment of shooting them (I've shot a couple :lolol: ).

Make sure you post a link to my Bubba K-31 on the Swiss rifle forum so they can all seeth with anger!

are you trying to get this thread trashed?

I love this rifle. To me it is not only the best long range shooter I have ever owned, (I am very poor :lolol: ) but it is beautiful.
It was beautiful.

I have some old beer cans out in the recycling bin if you want to collect them. One might be from the Regan era, and could be worth real money some day because there were only a gazillion of them made!
YOu really want to degenerate this into a childish shouting match don't you?

So what, your a nationalist now too? Are the "commie" guns not good enough?

Hey, let all the Crufflers know that if you refinish your rifle, essentially "ruining" its vast historical lineage, it drives up the value of thiers! I figured they should thank me....huh?
Could you please stop the sarcastic jabs, I really don't give a damn about the fact that your messing yours up increases the value of mine, I care that another true work of wood and steel (art by my definition, unlike most of todays rifles) being chopped up for some guy's bipod (Oh the horror of using a clamp on bipod & scope mount!).

Pistonring8,

A very funnt thread. I see you still have that great sense of humor and non-confrontational style. Obviously SkS Madman doesn't know you very well or he would know your comments were in fun. On the otherhand he did call you Bubba and seemed pretty serious in his exchange. My advice to SkS Madman is to hang loose, you'll last longer.

Now for my two cents: anything Century touches ain't worth much more than the Dunhams asking price. Besides it's your $99 bucks and rifle. It's your right to do as you please with it including running it through a trash compactor if you want. :lolol::lolol::lolol:

Wolverine

2 things:

1) SKS Madman: Chill out man. If pistonring wants to spruce up his gun, then he has every right to do it. It was his money, it's now his gun. Besides, do you think for a second the swiss wouldn't have done it if they had the same technology available? Speaking for myself and others I'm guessing: I don't buy guns as investments, the stockmarket gets much better returns. A $950 ROI is a rarity in any investment, and it rarely if ever happens in guns.

Guns are tools, designed to kill something (paper, people, deer, stress, whatever). If adding a bipod and a scope makes it better at doing it's job, then said gun gets a bipod and a scope. Heaven forbid we ever pistol grip our Saigas! It'll destroy their value and spit in the face of every young soldier that ever carried one into combat!

2) Pistonring: Damnit man. I had my heart set on a M1A Garand and an AR15 by graduation. If you keep throwing deals like this in my face, I'll never be able to afford them!

Just to clairify my position a little bit:

I have no great love for any firearms except in very limited circumstances.

1) M1 Garands. I would keep a firearm like this as near factory as possible for 1 reason: My Grandfather carried one during WW2.

2) 1911. I'm keeping this one pretty much stock because Saint Browning got it right. She's a damn fine piece of engineering for a ~90 year old design.

3) Winchester Model 70As. Dad bought most of the set back before I was born. He's passed them on to me, and they get the job done without any extra mods (not counting scopes here).

All of the commie guns I own have no history that I can relate too. They are tools; cold, lifeless chunks of metal and wood that send lead down range when asked, and occationally surprise me (usually in a bad way). They have no history that I care about, nor do they inspire the awe and reflection of a rifle that may have been carried my a family member in combat.

For those reasons, I could care less if somebody modified a K31, sliced and diced an M44, wildcatted a 98k, or chrome plated a Russian SKS. It doesn't mean I wouldn't like to own those rifles, there's just no relatable history that makes me angry when somebody decides to use one for some WECSOG work.

Now, show me somebody bump firing a Garand in a synthetic stock, talking trash about a 1911 because "45 is like soooo old, maaaaaaaaan, and 9mm is sooooooo cool", or turning a perfectly good 1911 into some "Barbie Tactical" race gun, and I'm ready to start beating skulls in. :killer:

It's all a matter of perspective. :super:

All of the commie guns I own have no history that I can relate too. They are tools; cold, lifeless chunks of metal and wood that send lead down range when asked, and occationally surprise me (usually in a bad way). They have no history that I care about, nor do they inspire the awe and reflection of a rifle that may have been carried my a family member in combat.

It's all a matter of perspective. :super:

Exactly, It is all a matter of perspective. Mine is one of "if it could talk" Where has it been? When did that schink of stock go missing? Why is there a 30 caliber plug in the stock with a black stain all around it (brother's M48A has this)? :eek: I see history where you guys see something to chop up and throw away.

Also, about the investment thing, 5 years ago an uzi went for about $2000, these days they are well over $6000, that is a 200% increase over 5 years, show me stock that can do that!

BTW, the thing about saiga is they are still being produced and are only configured like we get them due to laws, if we still had true free commerce we would buy them from the factory like we wanted.

Wolverine (obviously not the same one from SKSboards.com),

I am usually pretty laid back but this is a subject (especially since his sense of humor/sarcasm carry poorly over the net) that can get me wound out.

What the hell can century do to screw up something that doesn't need parts replaced?

What can Century do?! I dont think that I need to tell a true Cruffler how overzealous CAI gets with their little electric scribing pencils!

Thanks for the support guys. Very well said Rusty.

I know that I have a pretty much open target here against a pureist on a Bubba forum. Remember where you are Madman, look around. This is my house, I could eat you alive and get away with it here. :angel:

Just kidding! I like the feedback I get from everybody, thats what makes forum posting fun! If everyone was of the same mindset, it would get old real quick. I do love the K-31. And I like the way it looks and works without modification, I just like it even more when its outfitted for higher performance. But I do the same thing with cars too. Im the guy who will take a bone stock Mustang convertable and shoehorn a big block SCJ engine in it. Sure its worth more on the open market as a stock original, sure the big block put extra stress and wear on the fame. I dont care, I'm only puttering around on this earth for a short time, and in that small amount of time I would like to use up as much natural resorce as possible, I would like to destroy as much of the enviornment as possible, and I want to modify everything I can get my hands on, just because I can.

Lol, if I had any Swiss heritage or this rifle had any history other than being pulled out of the closet every year to be shot 10 times for qualification, I would leave it alone. If the nicks and gouges and water damage came from anything other than standing at attention in the snow or running drills, I would appriciate it more. You might be right, the value on the K-31 might skyrocket after they all dry up. Or it might fall into the abyss of forgotten mil. surps. like most of the others like it. It doesent matter to me kid, I only own one. And Im not planning on selling it, ever.

I appriciate your point of view, I really do. Believe it or not, I was going to leave my Saiga alone when I first got it. But temtation got the better of me and I "hacked it up". I have some things lying around that do what I want them to do without modification. Like my vacuum cleaner, my kitchen stove, my wifes Taurus 92. On the other hand, My Mustang, my Chevy truck, my Saiga, my lawnmower, my AMD and my K-31 will now ALL outperform thier stock counterparts. Can I get a HELL YEA?

Is this what a Cruffler sees when he looks at my beutiful K-31?! :eek::lolol:

post-1374-1132010185_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1132010194_thumb.jpg

post-1374-1132010203_thumb.jpg

hmm.... that looks like one of those LEGENDARY AK-K31 Assault sniper paratrooper scout rifles, with advanced optics, and increased mag potential! :up: :up:

A real winner in my book of C&R RELICS!

Although they are absent from the mainstream books, any TRUE CRuffler knows what that is, and what its worth!

PRICELESS!!!!

Can the value go up??? SURE!!!

Priceless + MORE!

Ha Ha Ha! Thanks jon!

Yea, I know the Para, assult, sniper, scout, gen1 night, infared, laser ,flashlight, high cap AK-31 is a rare gem indeed. I dont expect many to recognise it. I dont even wipe off the dust because as we all know, most dust is dead skin cells, and these tiny flakes of history could have come from a general or commander.

I dont know where the rifle has been or who shot it way back in 1953, but its just full of obscure and relitively mundane history! I like to prop it up on the wall and look at it wondering......Wow, I wonder what poor schmuck had to march around in a mountainous region carrying this boat anchor?

:lolol:

Ha Ha Ha! Thanks jon!

Yea, I know the Para, assult, sniper, scout, gen1 night, infared, laser ,flashlight, high cap AK-31 is a rare gem indeed. I dont expect many to recognise it. I dont even wipe off the dust because as we all know, most dust is dead skin cells, and these tiny flakes of history could have come from a general or commander.

I dont know where the rifle has been or who shot it way back in 1953, but its just full of obscure and relitively mundane history! I like to prop it up on the wall and look at it wondering......Wow, I wonder what poor schmuck had to march around in a mountainous region carrying this boat anchor?

:lolol:

Check under the butt-plate, there will be a slip of paper with his name on it. :haha: (seriously!)

Also, that was a hilarious photoshop! I also gotta say that since I don't know you I took all your comments at face value without thinking they may have been jokes.