SGM Mag Feed problem + question for those not having problems. (not a

So I see lots of reviews that these mags are working flawlessly, includinga video on military arms channel. Mine, however, all three of them do what is pictured. They seem to feed very slugglishly as if there is resistance to the rounds moving up through the mag body. Then they get stuck as pictured, which as you can imagine means a lot of rounds fail to chamber. (I took all three to the range they do the same exact thing in the shotgun.) I've tried a number of loads and ones that work fine in the factory mag also have this issue.

So I am wondering is there something I am missing here? I am pretty new to the platform well the shotgun version anyway.

Thank you in advance to everyone.

post-45986-0-14925300-1356763293_thumb.jpg

Both of my SGM 12s do the exact same thing which I checked after I read this thread.

I took them apart and the follower does not slide freely in the mag body.

It sticks in the last 10% or so before the feed lips. The mags then produce rounds in the body exactly like the one shown in the OP.

Now that I look at them disassembled it appears that the clearance on the sides of the follower diminishes as it approaches the feed lips on both which causes just enough sticking to cause sluggish feeding.

---> Question for SGM: if the follower does not move freely in the magazine body is there any harm in gently sanding the two flanges of plastic on each side of the follower to increase clearance or should we send them back? Thanks!

EDIT: Just checked and shells will also not fall freely through the mag so the clearance issue is not relegated to just the follower.

Edited by physicsnerd

One of the mags appears to be bowed in a little bit. I haven't dissassembled them but It does appear from inspection the shells are dragging on the magazine body. The followers on 2 do feel like they have some inconsistent friction atleast down as deep as I can get my thumb but all 3 have this problem. I was wondering if anyone had to clean up their mags before I turn this into too much of a project, I try to take some time to think about things before I do something irreversible ha (sanding filing etc). Was hopin someone would chime in with something obvious I hadn't thought of. I have tomorrow off I guess I'll be inspecting them internally.

As to the high brass on those yea I tried a few different loads to see if I would get different results all have been similarly stuck at that point.

Like Physicsnerd says I think there are some internal clearence issues. At first I was thinking cold, but the military arms channel guy was shooting in the snow like me so I don't think thats the problem.

Edited by Luchtaine

If the mag is bowed or not right and isn't feeding correct, send it back to us with a note telling us and we will replace it. If the body is wrong, it came out of the mold to fast and didn't have time to cool down which caused the body to warp. If you modify the mag it will void the warranty so I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than sending it back.

• Like 3
If the mag is bowed or not right and isn't feeding correct, send it back to us with a note telling us and we will replace it. If the body is wrong, it came out of the mold to fast and didn't have time to cool down which caused the body to warp. If you modify the mag it will void the warranty so I wouldn't recommend doing anything other than sending it back.

Thank you for letting me know. Should I send them to the address listed under the "Contact Us" tab of your website?

I had this issue with the fed bulk a the first few times, It was the shells getting stuck, not the follower. I tried it with some fiocchi and it didn't bind, then tried the fed again and it worked fine, might just need some break in. Only tried dry cycling one mag so far, but all my followers do not bind

This may not be good practice, but what I do with all my mags regardless of caliber is take them apart, and put some lube on the inside of the body and on the follower that makes contact with the inside of the body. Ive never had any issues with rounds hanging up when I do this.

I haven't tried any federal that I can remember right off. Ill remember to pick some up next run. Ive been running the Winchester and Remington.

Chevy I ran both Federal and Winchester bulk through mine, they both work just fine once the mag gets a little wear.

Would graphite powder be a good option for lubing the inside of the mags, if they need it?

I dont see how it would hurt it. Graphite lube in general may be a good place to start if it helps the mags feed good until they get broke in.