Anyone ever Painted/Duracoated their receiver?

Just make sure you sandblast the factory finish off, degrease real good and you'll be set. I usually parkerize the bare steel then apply the Duracoat over it and it gives excellent results and corrosion prevention.

Good luck!

about parkerizing, how does it compare to Caswell's cold black oxide? The few refinish jobs I have done I have degreased, sandblasted, cold black oxided and then painted with barbecue black high heat rustoleum. it has been working good but doesn't hold up well to chemicals like brake cleaner. If I used moly resin or duracoat would it be a good idea to keep doing the black oxide before applying the painting or not?

Edited by rogers
It looks like moly resin may be a little cheaper as well since it does not require any hardeners, reducers, or thinners and also includes free shipping. Especially if you were going to do 5 or 6 guns, the quart they sell for $65 is looking pretty good! Which moly resin would be the better looking, semi gloss or flat black?

Those are the exact reasons why I went with Moly Resin. No fancy marketing but the product works! And prep is key when doing any refinishing. I de-greased all parts in dish washing soap, dried with air compressor, stuck parts in the oven to preheat before actual air brushing the Moly Resin on.

I used flat black and it came out looking really good. The surface isn't rough but rather smooth... You can sorta control how flat or semi glossy you want by the pre-heating of parts. Higher temp will get you more flat finish. Some of the parts that started to cool by the time I got to them looked more glossy.

20121115_160902-XL.jpg