sucessful hunt

:super: opening day, 9am, cold, rainy and windy.. up from the swamp came 3 does, they walked within 10 feet of my ground blind, when they passed by me. at about 20 yards out, i fired and took one the biggest one. i was using remington express 125 grain soft points . one shot one kill, hit just above and just infront of the heart, the bullet left an exit hole bigger then a softball and shattered the upper leg.. the doe dropped in her tracks and died with in seconds. she was just under 100 lbs dressed. had back straps for dinner that nite, finishing butchering it tonite..

the more i fire my saiga and see it potential , the more i like it..

good luck to all the other hunters, cheers.

:super: opening day, 9am, cold, rainy and windy.. up from the swamp came 3 does, they walked within 10 feet of my ground blind, when they passed by me. at about 20 yards out, i fired and took one the biggest one. i was using remington express 125 grain soft points . one shot one kill, hit just above and just infront of the heart, the bullet left an exit hole bigger then a softball and shattered the upper leg.. the doe dropped in her tracks and died with in seconds. she was just under 100 lbs dressed. had back straps for dinner that nite, finishing butchering it tonite..

the more i fire my saiga and see it potential , the more i like it..

good luck to all the other hunters, cheers.

Congrats on your kill. I take it you had a doe permit. It rained like hell here in Grand Rapids yesterday and again this AM. Around noon, it changed to snow and is now beginning to accumulate. The forecaster predicts more snow for the next 6 days so hunting conditions here are improving. I drive one hour north to Newaygo County to hunt. My brother has a nice chunk of wooded land and directly across the street is the edge of the Manistee National Forest where you can hunt if you are willing to brave the many others out there for the same reason.

Wolverine

well good luck Shotgun .. the 45/70 is on my wish list.. the marlin model 336 lever action in that chamber..

we can hunt from treestands too, here in michigan, but i have not done so yet. my brother does reguarly though..

Edited by scibaer

Wolverine,

i've hunted that nat. forest in the past.. lots of deer by big rapids, but lots of hunters too, best of luck to ya though..

i hunted at my property near lincoln twp. in clare county. 20 acres that the pipeline crosses, lots of deer and no hunting pressure to speak of. this weekend , fri and sat. im going to black lake area with my brother and hunt the south side of the swamp.. if the weather dont get wonkie on me. will have to shoot a buck this time though.. hopefully a monster swamp buck, been a few reports of folks spotting bigfoot though, so maybe i'll harvest him instead, lol ..

:super:

Edited by scibaer
rifle dont start here till the monday after thanksgiving, no semis here either :( im taking a marlin 1895 45/70gov this year, hunting the brush 15ft up in a treestand this year

i'd like to see what that marlin does to a deer since its on my wish list and being from Pa also the saiga is out.

Congradulations. Gun season opens here monday. I will be hunting with my Saiga .308. I have allready been bowhunting this year, but the only dear that have been close enough have been does. I saw an 8 point buck at about 50 yards friday, but thats a little farther than I'm comfortable with my bow.

How far did the doe run with the 7.62x39? I've been thinking about taking mine. I wasn't sure about how well it would do though.

Congrats scibaer!

Hey all, just seen this thread so I figured I'd check in. I took the VEPR 308 up to the family farm in Manistee Co. (Bear Lake area). Probably not too far from where you're going Wolvie. No luck yet, passed up a nice doe opening morning. She came out with a couple fawns right at 7:00 but I didn't want to ruin my chance at a buck that early. Yesterday I seen a nice buck about 300 yards out crossing a ridgeline. I wasn't comfortable with taking a shot with the VEP at that range. Talk about crappy weather!!! :eek:

I was stuck in the platform most of the day Tuesday. (6x6 - 14ft up) Yesterday morning it was snowing pretty good. My father-in-law got a nice 6 pt - 120lbs with his .270 Remington. We came home last night for a reprieve. I think the conditions were worse down here!!! Woke up this morning to 1" of snow & 27 degrees out.

We're heading back up tomorrow with my 12 year old nephew. He's never been hunting so it should be a good time! I'm probably going to take the .300 mag for my long shots this time & the S-20 for the swamps. I gotta pattern her for slugs tonight & see how she does. I've never shot this one yet. Hopefully it's like my last one & not Cobra's! :lolol:

Good luck to everyone who's out after those evil whitetails!! They've been trespassing and stealing our bait! That offence is punishable by death!! :killer:

How far did the doe run with the 7.62x39? I've been thinking about taking mine. I wasn't sure about how well it would do though.

jtoddellis.. the doe i shot literally dropped where she was standing. i was really surprised by how and what the bullet did to the doe, a very large exit hole and i clipped the leg and the bone shattered. the leg folded on the doe and she nose planted right in her tracks, and never got up.

i was using 125 grain, soft point , remington express rifle for 7.62 x 39 .. the only other gun that made a kill shot like that was a styer 300. win mag..

cheers

jtoddellis.. the doe i shot literally dropped where she was standing. i was really surprised by how and what the bullet did to the doe, a very large exit hole and i clipped the leg and the bone shattered. the leg folded on the doe and she nose planted right in her tracks, and never got up.

i was using 125 grain, soft point , remington express rifle for 7.62 x 39 .. the only other gun that made a kill shot like that was a styer 300. win mag..

cheers

I'll 2nd that...I've dropped them with as little as a .410 95 grain slug and had 'em run (albeit no too far) when I've plugged 'em with a 385 grain copper solid from the 12 gauge. I had a doe run 50 yards when I blew out her heart & lungs with a .300 weatherby. It's all on shot placement and how much energy transfers to them.

:smoke:

Went out Tuesday morning in the Atlanta/Onaway area (Shoepack Lake). Never saw a thing. My father-in-law had bagged a doe and a six point by 9:30 about a half mile away. Rotten sucker...

I left my magazine at home and chambered a single round while I was out. I don't have a five round mag and didn't feel like cutting down my 10 rnd to 5. I figure if you don't make the first shot count you probably aren't going to get a second.

we hunt just north of onaway, just south of black lake. my brother shot a nice 5 point yesterday. by noon today i'll be in the woods there too. im still looking to shoot that monster buck !

i buy ak47, 5 round mags at the local gun show when it comes to town, and weld a lip on the front and grind it with my dremel tool. i use my wire feed welder and run a bead along the front edge, and grind a lip to it.. makes a great feed ramp and takes 5 minutes.

cheers mates

WENT TO KALKASKA TO THE OLD FAMILY CABIN.. NEVER BEEN THERE BUT MY DAD SAID I HUNTED THERE FOR YEARS PLENTY OF DEER.. 3 HR DRIVE NO DEER NO ZIPP ZERO OH WELL IT LOOKS LIKE MY AT THE IN LAWS FOR NOW SEEN A FEW BUCKS AROUND THERE IN THE LAST FEW MONTHS

We got back last night - I didn't get one, but the father-in-law got a nice doe, her cousin got a 3-pt & a 7-pt & her uncle got a button buck (camp deer). I plugged 3 squirrels yesterday with the S-20. We had a good time & ate lots of venison. We had a spike pass by all of us Saturday, but no one got a shot. That's how it usually turns out up there - we usually get most of 'em out our back doors down here.

We didn't hear much shooting, but the weather was beautiful. 30ish on Saturday and 40ish yesterday. About 10 - 12" of snow on the ground Saturday but it was melting off yesterday. All we had was wind earlier in the week.

I took a small buck saturday with my .308. It dropped right in it's tracks.

I took a buddy with me yesterday after church. I carried my 7.62x39 and he carried my .308. We jumped an 8 point. I had an easy shot, but I told him to shoot because he hadn't killed a deer in a few years. He missed twice. I shure wish I had shot, I'd like to kill one with my 7.62x39.

Man you guys are lucky down in Ol' Miss. We can't hunt on sunday here in NC. :rolleyes:

Bible belt blues :angel:

You should have heard the whole crowd go silent when Ted Nugent was in town at the Dixie Deer Classic and told us to revolt and try to turn that around. A lot of people had just gotten out of church to come to the show. Ted said he goes to church every day...In his treestand. You could have heard a pin drop.

Ted said he goes to church every day...In his treestand. You could have heard a pin drop.

Speaking of Uncle Ted - his new show! I guess it started on Nov 5th...

http://www.olntv.com/nw/article/view/1301/...pl&UserDef=true

I thought Surviving Nugent on VH1 was great, so hopefully this is more of the same. :super:

Edited by dinzag
  • 1 year later...

It's a late post, but I bagged a button-buck (the one following the doe my brother bagged) at 10:30 on opening day with my stock 7.62x39. I hit him on the inside of the rear thigh, from the front, with 122 gr TMC-stamped jhp. It left a 1" exit, and must have clipped the artery, because he left a 50'x6" blood trail.

Speed-veal in the freezer beats getting skunked looking for bucks.

Plus, we watched football on Sunday.

post-4649-1167892314.jpg