Which Saiga Gunsmith for my Conversion? Reasonable Turnaround Time

The title says it. Recommend me a reliable Saiga gunsmith who has a reasonable turnaround time. And at least 'somewhat' affordable fees smile.png

I'm in the middle of my conversion....STILL...and am finding it difficult to finish. I don't have the necessary tools and work space to complete the conversion and the drive to the place that does is 60 miles away -- a major PITA. Additionally, little shit keeps happening that puts the project further on the back burner due to my frustration.

I have all the parts necessary and simply need someone who's capable of:

1. Knocking the upper pin out of that fucking gas block to work over the ports to a reasonable size (4 @ 5/64 would be acceptable).

2. Cutting a hole in the receiver so I can use a real PG bolt/nut instead of the DIY setup I bought.

3. Welding closed the extra holes in the receiver.

4. Putting all those parts I bought into and on the thing (trigger group, furniture, etc.)

5. A simple refinish. Parkerize, Cerakote...whatever. Something that doesn't run like cheap mascara when cleaning. That shit job I did on the receiver with the Duplicolor is already chipping away. I guess there was more oil/grease than I realized.

Yeah, just a basic conversion. Keep those suggestions coming. I'd rather not wait a year. Three to six months seems reasonable to me (or am I dreaming?).

What's the consensus on a reasonable fee for the above work?

Well. . . were I in your shoes I'd contact Jeff Miller of "Hillbilly Firearms" out of Tennessee. He built my Galil AR and his turn-around time was less than two months (which he informed me was really loooonng for him; typically he likes to "get'r done" in less than a month), and I found his fee to be reasonable.

CIMG5140.jpg

Edited by Wolverine
Non vendor email address listed
  • Like 1
do it yourself save a ton of money

Apologies in advance. Rant of frustration follows.

Yeah, tried that route. It's been a work in progress for what? Eight months now? I'd like to get to shootin' the thing at some point in my life. Couldn't get the fucking gas block off and didn't want to ruin a $650 investment (plus parts!) beating on the thing like a silverback ape. The paint job looked great, but turned out to be shit since it chips away at the slightest touch. The DIY trigger guard pisses me off since the standard PG screws don't fit ("cut off a few threads" they say or 'find a shorter screw'). Yeah, I know, apparently I have a vagina. But, I make money for a reason. And I'm okay with spending a reasonable amount of my hard earned cash to have a reliable shooter instead of a metal/polymer club sitting in the corner of my office.

Sorry.....rant off. Too much whiskey :)

Again, just my honest opinion. . . but Jeff Miller's work is exceptional. To the best of my knowledge he doesn't go in for all the "contemporary bells and whistles" malarkey; he builds straight-up standard long guns. He will provide either a professional parkarized finish, or a cerekote finish (hell, regarding his cerekote paint, I don't know whether he uses anything but basic black). You'll get your firearm back reasonably quick depending on when he informs you to ship it to him, and as I previously stated his prices are reasonable.

LMAO @ the mangina.....haha.gif

Haha! Seriously, the .410 conversion took less than two hours and was entirely successful. This 12 is pissing me off!

Well. . . were I in your shoes I'd contact Jeff Miller of "Hillbilly Firearms" out of Tennessee. He built my Galil AR and his turn-around time was less than two months (which he informed me was really loooonng for him; typically he likes to "get'r done" in less than a month), and I found his fee to be reasonable.

I'll check with Jeff, thanks. Do you know if he works on Saigas too?

Shameless plug: Check with Leland at Sierra Ordnance Company. He will set you up right for a reasonable price. He is a business member here.

Thanks for the tip. I'll check there too.

I sent mine off to Alliance Armament he told me 3 to 4 week turn around for the collapsible butt stock trigger conversion and rework of the gas system I'm on the third week now .

And another to check with. Thanks.

Are you SURE the gas block needs to be taken off? I've never had my gas block off, and the gun runs Winchester Universal in a MD-20 drum shot from the hip...

Conversions are really easy and fun! Might want to reconsider. Otherwise, just look thru the vendors on the forum. Many to choose from.

I'll check with Jeff, thanks. Do you know if he works on Saigas too?

To the best of my knowledge, he does.

I bet if you said what part of the country you live in and asked for help with your S12, somebody on here would help you out for free. BTW 8 mo. to do a conversion is not a work in progress !

+1

I need to do mine anyhow. If nothing else you could watch me F up my own gun. ;)

• 10 years later...

Lone Star Arms has specialized in Saiga 12 conversions and high performance work since 2008, building the finest, fastest, most reliable Saiga 12 tactical shotguns available anywhere, at any price. Turnaround times are typically 8 - 12 weeks. Call Lone Star Arms Gunsmiths today at (505) 263-8822 to have your Saiga 12 transformed into the fast cycling, high performance 12 gauge shotgun you've always dreamed it could be!  lonestararms.com2017_Intimidator_CS_VLR_3-4.287104440_st