For what scenario?

If you shoot often then thousands and thousands would suit you.

If you are preparing for SHTF type scenario then only what you can physically carry/transport and don't shoot it unless you can afford to rotate your stockpile. Few of my friends are big Doomsday types that plan to bug out if needed. One buddy thinks he will be able to carry 1,000 rounds for his AK along with other supplies traveling on foot. This guy can barely walk from the kitchen to the bathroom without losing his breath so I doubt he will be taking more than a few magazines.

I keep just over a thousand rounds for everything I own. I also shoot often and I buy ammo even more often. I tend to make it a point to pick up at least a box or two every week. I've even got my wife into the habit of picking up a box or two when she is running errands.

I think that depends on what your intentions are. If it's a fire fight all you need to do is catch one and the other team wins (and takes all your stuff). Don't forget someone will likely be shooting at you in that situation, too.

If it's long term survival and hunting, then it depends how accurately you can shoot.

If a SHTF situation does happen and we need to start living by the gun, the days of sport shooting will be over. Not only will we not want the noise drawing attention, we will want to conserve ammunition as much as possible.

• Like 2

My current preference is one years training supply, plus another 500 rounds. For example I shoot my 9 (when my finger isn't broken) 100 rounds per week. That means 5200 rounds supply + 500 for-use rounds = 5700. At least that's where I am now. We will see if/when things get better and I will drop down, or maybe stock up more to avert problems if there's another run.

What I was thinking was not SHTF but to get through gov't indused shortages.

government induced shortage? got new for you, it's your fellow gun owners that are in a panic buying frenzy that is causing the shortages, buying up mags, rifles and ammo. what the gov't bought wouldn't amount to a hill of beans vs. what your fellow shooters are buying like crazy.

What I was thinking was not SHTF but to get through gov't indused shortages.

government induced shortage? got new for you, it's your fellow gun owners that are in a panic buying frenzy that is causing the shortages, buying up mags, rifles and ammo. what the gov't bought wouldn't amount to a hill of beans vs. what your fellow shooters are buying like crazy.

What the gov't has bought is 9 months worth of production of rifles and ammo.

The house rule I was always taught was 1K rounds for each weapon and an additional 1K for the rifle and pistol that are your "go to" guns.

.22 on the other hand, I don't think 3 or 4 K for plinking and practice is unreasonable. If you can find any, that is.

I think what you are feeding also plays into the decision. I have a few calibers that I only own in bolt actions or wheel guns. I dont feel the need to own 1000 rounds of 300 winmag or .44 mag. I try to keep 1000 per gun for the semis and 200 per for the bolt action and wheel gun only calibers. 22 lr is different I buy its whenever its cheap....between the gsg-5 and the 15-22 I can always use more 22lr. I say try cause sometimes you just got to go shootin!

I think what you are feeding also plays into the decision. I have a few calibers that I only own in bolt actions or wheel guns. I dont feel the need to own 1000 rounds of 300 winmag or .44 mag. I try to keep 1000 per gun for the semis and 200 per for the bolt action and wheel gun only calibers. 22 lr is different I buy its whenever its cheap....between the gsg-5 and the 15-22 I can always use more 22lr. I say try cause sometimes you just got to go shootin!

I once shared your thought about the bolt action stuff until I started seriously considering a x54R VEPR... Makes my Mosin ammo look really appealing. By my own rule, I'm sort on x54R... Somewhere around 1500 rounds. A VEPR could thin that down quickly and I would be delighted to do it! :)

• Like 1
My current preference is one years training supply, plus another 500 rounds. For example I shoot my 9 (when my finger isn't broken) 100 rounds per week. That means 5200 rounds supply + 500 for-use rounds = 5700. At least that's where I am now. We will see if/when things get better and I will drop down, or maybe stock up more to avert problems if when there's another run.

I fixed it for ya cool.png