So let me get this straight.... A 50 yard wide rock from space that was spotted 4 or 5 months ago was supposed to do a close fly by today... And roughly the same size rock (that partially burt up entering )around 20 to 30 feet at time of explosion just happed to fly in today? And they say its unrealted? BULLSHIT. Its the same fucking one, they just miscalculated the hit/miss probability and are trying to play it off. The odds of that got to be in the trillions.

No, this one was only approx 10 tons, think very dense and heavy iron, not too big really, full size passenger van maybe?

The big one which missed us was the size of half a football field.

I too call bullshit that they're unrelated, I think it was a piece of it or smaller asteroid traveling along with it.

Unrelated, yeah like Benghazi was unrelated to the 911 anniversary.

Anyone see the news that Russian missiles may have been fired on it to try and break it up?

There is alot of conflicting information coming out.

NASA says it was 50 feet across. If that's so then it had to weigh alot more than 10 tons unless it was made of shaving cream.

Assuming a symetrical shape:

An iron meteor 50ft across would weigh 30,000 tons.

A stony meteor 50ft across would weigh 10,000 tons.

For comparison the meteor that made Meteor Crater in AZ was 150ft across and weighed 300,000 tons.

A 10 ton iron meteor would be the size of a washing machine. A 10 ton stony meteor would be the size of a smart car.

Edited by Darth Saigus
They're just getting sighted in.

Damned Bugs, the only good bug, is a dead bug!

Do You Want To Know More?

Pvt._Frost.jpg

I just wanna know, is this gonna be a stand-up fight, or just another bug hunt?

Ooohh, that's -10 points for mixing up your bugs.

I read the book when I was 12 I think. Waaaaaaay before anybody thought of doing a movie. And obviously the movies didn't do the book justice.

Edited by Darth Saigus
We got a bunch of Heinlein fans that only read Starship Troopers, I see.

Many winters ago, when I was a long haul trucker, I found myself sitting at a farm co-op in New Mexico, waiting overnight to pick up a load of alfalfa.

I decided to see a movie in town, that town was Roswell, New Mexico.

I went in to town and found the theater, a tiny little place, they were doing a special showing of an unrated and then unreleased movie, which I'd never heard of.

Starship Troopers.

Absolutely blown away! I freaking loved it!

What a place to catch a rare pre-release showing of an awesome science fiction flick.

They handed out surveys after the movie, I gave it five stars all the way.

• Like 3

Many winters ago, when I was a long haul trucker, I found myself sitting at a farm co-op in New Mexico, waiting overnight to pick up a load of alfalfa.

I went in to town and found the theater, a tiny little place, they were doing a special showing of an unrated and then unreleased movie, which I'd never heard of.

Starship Troopers.

What a place to catch a rare pre-release showing of an awesome science fiction flick.

If only they had not disgraced the movie with the horrible sequels they made.

• Like 1

Starship Troopers.

If only they had not disgraced the movie with the horrible sequels they made.

Heard that, they sucked ass.

• Like 1
I'd put my money on Adam Selene.

An even better Heinlein reference. Color me impressed.

Yes I had to look it up. It's been over 30 years since I read it and I never was very good at remembering names.

I'm doing pretty well if I can remember the name of the book.

But for some reason when it comes to books about the moon I always think of A Fall of Moondust. I guess I must have connected with that one more than usual.

And for some odd reason I vividly remember the short story Brightside Crossing (although still can't remember names).

But both of those are survival against nature stories set on other planets. Not sure what that says about my psyche...

Edited by Darth Saigus
I wonder how real this realy is? No warning spacially when they are looking to the skys for the other meteor that is suppoed to pass by today. According to the news or reports they estamated it to be a 10 TON meteor. I am by no means a scientist or astro physicist but woudn't a 10 ton meteor cause at leat an atomic blast? There would be no survivors where that thing feal let alone video of it...

Any thoughts? Hoax?

A 10 ton meteor is smaller than a car. And they tend to be rather dark in color. Something that small would be nearly impossible to spot thousands of miles away unless you knew exactly where to look.

As far as the damage it did, alot depends on the composition and angle. A dense iron meteor coming down at a steep angle will likely hit the ground. A chondrite meteor (which is not very dense) at a shallow angle will always explode in the air.

From watching the videos this one entered the atmosphere at a fairly shallow angle. The explosion was likely the size of a small nuke but high enough in the air that the shock wave only did reasonably minor damage on the ground.

Bad ass.......and if anyone finds ANY remains of it money.gifmoney.gifmoney.gif

You heard it first right here money.gif

"Meteorite rush" begins as Russian scientists find fragments

"One amateur space enthusiast estimated chunks could be worth anything up to 66,000 roubles ($2,200) per gram - more than 40 times the current cost of gold."

http://news.yahoo.com/meteorite-rush-begins-russian-scientists-fragments-111415119.html

"One amateur space enthusiast estimated chunks could be worth anything up to 66,000 roubles ($2,200) per gram - more than 40 times the current cost of gold."

http://news.yahoo.com/meteorite-rush-begins-russian-scientists-fragments-111415119.html

Making the entire meteor worth 20 Trillion in round numbers.

Making the entire meteor worth 20 Trillion in round numbers.

And there's a big chunk of it in that frozen pond over there......

I hear Stalingrad is beautiful this time of year, Mr. Hilter. :)

• Like 2

Starship Troopers was fun, but this is histerical:

Kumar: “Time the fuck out Neal, how the fuck are you still alive?”
Harold: “Yeah, how the fuck are you still alive man?”
Neil Patrick Harris: “What you talkin’ bout?”
Harold: “We saw you get shot, remember?”
Neil Patrick Harris: “You have to be more specific”
Kumar: “in that whorehouse”
Harold: “in Texas”
Kumar: “you branded a prostitute”
Harold: “remember?”
Neil Patrick Harris: “oh yeah, now I remember…”

(on heaven)
Neil Patrick Harris: “…the chicks were hot, the music was sick, there were lasers, it was like being famous in the early 90s”

Jesus: “I’m sure you recognize me but I’m Jesus, so”
Neil Patrick Harris: “Jesus?” (shrugs)
Jesus: (points at crucifix necklace) “Jesus Christ, that’s me, I’m Jesus Christ”

(or the version that was cut but used for commercials/trailers)
Jesus: “Neil Patrick Harris. Welcome to heaven, I’m Jesus”
Neil Patrick Harris: Jesus?”
Jesus: “Christ, I practically run this place”
Neil Patrick Harris: “Oh, for reals?”
Jesus: “I mean my dad owns it but I’m kinda number 1″
Neil Patrick Harris: “Oh, you’re one of those”

Neil Patrick Harris: “Okay, ladies I’m Neil Patrick Harris, I played Private Carl Jenkins in Starship Troopers”