Was just bored and looking at a 1237L lathe on the Smithy site.Got to the bottom of the pricing page and clicked on financing.Part 3 under "Instructions for Filling out a Finance Application" states "the Patriot Act requires two forms of ID to be presented with your application."Damn,now even machinists are going to make "THE LIST".

• Like 5
But it's only a matter of time before the "used" lathes are bought-up.

As soon as a new lathe is purchased, it becomes used. Until the lathe factories all shut their doors there will always be used lathes on the market.

Past that, about 90% of the guys that buy machine tools think that they are tool makers and find out that their lack of tools wasn't their problem. The vast majority of used lathes are dust collectors and volume takers. Someone, somewhere, will always be tired of it being in their way. A quick glance at craigslist in my area showed me about 20 lathes that looked worthy of interest, including a couple of absolute monster lathes that made me with I had more space! smile.png

Edited by Maxwelhse
  • Like 1

My post was more about the fact that at least the one company is gathering info. for the gov't on who is financing or possibly buying lathes .I don't finance toys(too old for that).I just get bored and check to see if anyone has any good deals but I really can't get a lathe until my pole barn is finished.There is a good deal over in Matthew Hopkins neck of the woods for a lathe and mill for $2500.I usually don't find many good deals locally so when the time comes I will probably buy a new 13x40.

Edited by gsa
My post was more about the fact that at least the one company is gathering info.on who is financing or possibly buying lathes for the gov't.I don't finance toys(too old for that).I just get bored and check to see if anyone has any good deals but I really can't get a lathe until my pole barn is finished.There is a good deal over in Matthew Hopkins neck of the woods for a lathe and mill for $2500.I usually don't find many good deals locally so when the time comes I will probably buy a new 13x40.

You're in SE, MI and I'm in NE, IN... I just looked.. There are boatloads of nice used lathes out there right now! :)

It's about collecting information. Very, very few people make it their entire life without incurring debt. "Supposedly" it is to make sure the terrorists aren't laundering money. Pretty good details here:

https://www.privacyrights.org/fs/fs31-CIP.htm

I'm too lazy to go and take a pic of my lathe, but this is pretty close to what it looked like when I bought it ($20, no financing!): rolleyes.gif

Lathe-C2.jpg

I enjoy the old iron, and it's amazing to me how things were made and still work almost 100 years later. No love, no babying...left in a barn to rust, and it all still works like a champ when I flip the switch. Although the motor was a little newer. I think it was from 1939.

• Like 4

I ran into this a couple years ago when we bought our current house. We did the responsible thing saved money for years and combined that with the money we made off the sale of our hold house to put down payment big enough to avoid mortgage insurance. It took an extra week to close because I had to prove that I had obtained the funds legally. It was then I gave up on "innocent until proven guilty"

• Like 2

I live in SE MI, I looked for a year before the right deal came on a mill $1100, bridgeport with about $1100 in tooling and a new clamping system. then about a month looking for a lathe, came across 5-10 till I snagged one for $600 and I had to make a trip to home depot and deliver some material for the guy because he did not have a truck. It also had $300-$400 in accessories. be patient and take some tools to check all aspects of what you are buying. The deals are out there even more now people hurtin bad. I am about to buy a cnc machine because of a deal I cant refuse, I also just signed up for a cnc class because i dont know how to use the damn thing. Good luck in your search for tools I live outside of AA lots of machine shops closing look often.

I work for a machine tool company I cant believe how many lathes they ship every week, nearly every company buying one is replacing an older machine. So there is an endless supply of used machinery. You are in Michigan look up VanderZeil machinery they have TONS of used lathes from little 13 inch machines to 65 inch swing machines.

No, it's not ok.

One of the problems with this country is people borrow money to pay for everything. Guns, Appliances, Vehicles, Houses, Education,

Clothes, Toys, Tools. One good piece of advice from my old man is: "Never borrow money to pay for something that won't appreciate."

There are two things in this life that appreciate, and I'm not so sure about the second one anymore: Education, and Real Estate.

Even in today's liberal gay orgy of gun control laws, any gun that you buy new will not be able to be sold by you for that price as long

as it is still available. As soon as a new gun gets sold, it drops to 100% value, not new. If you borrowed money to buy it, then had to get

money when that loan got called, you can't get the money out of it you need.

While I am aware that there is possibility to buy new stuff when you think it will be discontinued, that's a form of a "get rich quick" scheme,

and they usually fail, or are a gamble at best. I don't make money by gambling, your mileage may vary.

You can usually sell property for more than what you paid for it, with the exception of the bust of the housing bubble, and your education

will open new doors to better money. Anything else, I pay cash.

No, it's not ok.

One of the problems with this country is people borrow money to pay for everything. Guns, Appliances, Vehicles, Houses, Education,

Clothes, Toys, Tools. One good piece of advice from my old man is: "Never borrow money to pay for something that won't appreciate."

There are two things in this life that appreciate, and I'm not so sure about the second one anymore: Education, and Real Estate.

Even in today's liberal gay orgy of gun control laws, any gun that you buy new will not be able to be sold by you for that price as long

as it is still available. As soon as a new gun gets sold, it drops to 100% value, not new. If you borrowed money to buy it, then had to get

money when that loan got called, you can't get the money out of it you need.

While I am aware that there is possibility to buy new stuff when you think it will be discontinued, that's a form of a "get rich quick" scheme,

and they usually fail, or are a gamble at best. I don't make money by gambling, your mileage may vary.

You can usually sell property for more than what you paid for it, with the exception of the bust of the housing bubble, and your education

will open new doors to better money. Anything else, I pay cash.

Uh, all I was doing was picking on Matthew a little while at the same time commenting on the current ridiculously high ammo prices. My sense of humor is a touch bent and I can't seem to straighten it.

I could argue with your opinions a bit too, but won't.

BTW, I agree 100% on always paying cash at times, like when procuring hookers. There are just some things you don't want to be traceable.

• Like 4
That's ok, Tim. I wasn't really putting that out there as something to be argued with, anyway.

In fact, it helps me when everyone else buys on credit, you can get mad deals quickly when everyone else

has to arrange financing.

Carry on.

That's good, because I really didn't want to bother with an argument that wouldn't change any minds.

So then you're saying that it is OK to buy ammo on credit? Please make up your mind as I'm easily confused.

BTW, I agree 100% on always paying cash at times, like when procuring hookers. There are just some things you don't want to be traceable.

Especially true if your eyes are bad and you accidentally get a tranny!

Uh, generally your sense of touch will help out if your eyesight lets you down. Or so I've heard, leastwise.

O.K. since you guys went there about trannys I gotta tell you a story. These guys I used to work with would go to the gambling boats in Illinois every weekend then hit the bars afterward. One monday one of the guys told me I should ask Johnny about his weekend. He proceeds to tell me about this "woman" he picked up at the bar, took "her" back to his room. He said" I wondered why she kept wanting me to chuck it in her butt, so I told her to roll over". When I felt that "thang" hit me in the belly I thought" Gawwwwd DAMN" he said Honey I could use another drink would you like one? He said " I got in my Car and I did not stop driving untill I hit the Elkhart county line!"

• Like 1

Dude. Looks like they've been watching Wile E. Coyote military training videos. I about shot coffee out my nose on all those sling shots with home made dynamite.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Although I have to admit, the PS3 controller for the armored vehicle with guns was pretty sweet!

Dude. Looks like they've been watching Wile E. Coyote military training videos. I about shot coffee out my nose on all those sling shots with home made dynamite.

Desperate times call for desperate measures I guess.

Although I have to admit, the PS3 controller for the armored vehicle with guns was pretty sweet!

That's actually either a generic PS1 controller, or PC game pad. I actually face palmed when I saw that not only was it an ancient controller, it's a generic one.

I also enjoyed the picture of the guy at the lathe, working from the back of it, with the chuck key still in the chuck! Not very safe at all! rolleyes.gif

All this tranny talk reminds me of what one of my buddies on here said about my avatar. sad.png

But then again. What happens in the south stays in the south with an ass that nice.laugh.pngbeer.gif

But back on topic, we are all being watched in one way or another. Theres no escaping it now days. I know Im already on a bunch of lists I could give a shit less about, but I know others may not share the same outlook as I. Thats cool too. All I ask is that no one be surprised if you find yourself on some "evil" list one day. 018.gif