Trigger Replacement for SGL-12

I just found out that the SGL-12 sold by K-var does not have a 922r compliant trigger, even tough it was adversised on the K-VAR site as having a 922r compliant trigger.

So I am going to be putting in a trigger group.

Are there any other parts I should look at replacing while I am doing the trigger group? I already have a Krebbs safety lever that is going in.

thanks

Doug

How did you find that the factory FCG isn't compliant?

My understanding of all of the myriad of B.S. written about 922r compliance, is that the burden of compliance is on the manufacturer of the firearm, not on possession. If the SGL is indeed non-compliant, FIME ( or whoever adds the U.S. parts for compliance) could be in a world of shit - not you.

Edited by HammerofGod

If the buttstock is US-made (not sure), then with U.S. made high-cap mags, he'd be close (mag body, follower, floorplate, hand guard, buttstock). I'd just add a hogue or other pistol grip, and I think that would do it. I've not seen an actual list of the SGL12's compliance parts, so not sure. Am I way off here?

No, I think you are correct hammer. I just didn't agree that the burden is on the manufacturer. It's on you if you want to run "high cap" mags. I like to have mine compliant to run factory eights. Sorry OP, didn't mean to hijack your thread, but your count worry is going to depend on whether you care about factory mags as us made mags count as 3 parts.

I thought it was cool that we could buy no-conversion guns I not gonna get hung up on the 30 bucks sneeded for a for a a crapco trigger group....

As far as extra parts, shoot the gun, see what it does, ya don't. Really need aynthing unless its over gassed. Choke adapters are cool though, ya might buy one of those. Google.

The SGL series do not contain any US parts therefore, you may only use the 5rnd magazine.

The pistol grip, foreend, buttstock, FCG, Piston, reciever, bolt, bolt carrier, barrel are all of Russian origin.

So if you want to use higher capacity magazines, get your foreign parts count to 10 or less.

The SGL series do not contain any US parts therefore, you may only use the 5rnd magazine.

The pistol grip, foreend, buttstock, FCG, Piston, reciever, bolt, bolt carrier, barrel are all of Russian origin.

So if you want to use higher capacity magazines, get your foreign parts count to 10 or less.

I guess it depends on the SGL; I know the -09 K-Var was selling uses a US-made handguard, but wasn't sure on the buttstock. Swap that SAW grip out for a more comfortable US-made pistol grip, use SGM or other US-made mags, and you're down to one (providing it's an SGL-09, or another model with the same US-made handguard). I'm thinking Bonesteel folder myself. Of course, one could just switch out that FCG, too. Would definately be the cheaper way to go, anyway, but not as cool as the folding stock.027.gif

Edited by HammerofGod

Well I have the 09 and I wld really like to get it right. So I have the md arms gas plug and us mag and the us handguard it comes with so i sld b at a 9 count rite? Also the md drum also counts as 3 also rite?

Edited by bigd1979

Never thought about a drum; follower and body, but floorplate? Good question.

Sounds like you're still short, as the mag and handguard make four. Do a search, or check for the sticky that has the interactive list you can check and uncheck to see where you're at.

Edited by HammerofGod

It seems to me that anybody serious enough about knowing whether his gun is "compliant" or not should not have to settle for a bunch of guesses or half-answers. After all, quoting "some guy on an Internet forum" won't cut it if questioned by any LEO. Fo me, it was too important an issue to not know for myself for sure; researching to my satisfaction meant more than getting generic opinions, regardless of how good those opinions may be (and some of those above were indeed good).

Be that as it may, for answers about compliance with 922r go to the "Tech Section" forum, then to the "Second Ammendment, 922r and the law" sub-forum, read a couple of the pertinent pinned threads, and finish by reading through a thread titled "Am I 922r safe?". Be sure to run through the wiki app worksheet on the second post (by GunFun) and THEN you will know specifically where you stand as fas as YOUR gun goes and not somebody else's.

Keep in mind, it will be YOU that will have to answer a bunch of questions under less than comfortable interrogation. Regardless of what the manufacturer/importer did or is responsible for, they probably have a legal team on retainer anyway. Do you?

Edited by LoudBoomBoom

I guess it depends on the SGL; I know the -09 K-Var was selling uses a US-made handguard, but wasn't sure on the buttstock. Swap that SAW grip out for a more comfortable US-made pistol grip, use SGM or other US-made mags, and you're down to one (providing it's an SGL-09, or another model with the same US-made handguard). I'm thinking Bonesteel folder myself. Of course, one could just switch out that FCG, too. Would definately be the cheaper way to go, anyway, but not as cool as the folding stock.027.gif

Yes you are correct. The SGL12-09s do come with US made foreends. The SGL12-07s do not.

I like the russian saw pistol grip. In my experience, it is very comfortable. In mine, I changed the op rod, piston, fcg, and also went with a bonesteel arms stock. Definitely cool.

Well I have the 09 and I wld really like to get it right. So I have the md arms gas plug and us mag and the us handguard it comes with so i sld b at a 9 count rite? Also the md drum also counts as 3 also rite?

The gas plug (regulator) does not count. Only the puc/tappet is considered as a compliance part.

Just go ahead and replace the FCG with a double hook Tapco unit. Modify it to reduce overtravel. You will end up with a nicer trigger than factory. Gunfun has a link in his signature showing how and what needs modified for a double hook to work.

Not to mention you will have 3 additional compliance parts.

It seems to me that anybody serious enough about knowing whether his gun is "compliant" or not should not have to settle for a bunch of guesses or half-answers. After all, quoting "some guy on an Internet forum" won't cut it if questioned by any LEO. Fo me, it was too important an issue to not know for myself for sure; researching to my satisfaction meant more than getting generic opinions, regardless of how good those opinions may be (and some of those above were indeed good).

Be that as it may, for answers about compliance with 922r go to the "Tech Section" forum, then to the "Second Ammendment, 922r and the law" sub-forum, read a couple of the pertinent pinned threads, and finish by reading through a thread titled "Am I 922r safe?". Be sure to run through the wiki app worksheet on the second post (by GunFun) and THEN you will know specifically where you stand as fas as YOUR gun goes and not somebody else's.

Keep in mind, it will be YOU that will have to answer a bunch of questions under less than comfortable interrogation. Regardless of what the manufacturer/importer did or is responsible for, they probably have a legal team on retainer anyway. Do you?

Good advice, and if anyone is concerned whether they are legal or not, they really should make sure they are clear on it.

As an aside, people need to make sure they're following the law, but honestly - when was the last time you heard of anyone being hassled by an LEO over 922r compliance? I'm pretty sure most LEOs wouldn't know what is what with what firearm, and I'm even more sure most wouldn't even care, providing you're not doing something stupid to make them dig a little deeper. But the law is the law, so it's best to be sure you're on the right side of it. Because after all; who wants to be the example?

Spoke to the several branches within the ATF.

With regards to 922r, and who must comply with it, this law applies to everyone. It is not just an import regulation that applies only to the importer. It applies to the importer but also the dealer who sells it as well as the individual who owns it.

Additionally, if an individual decides to add or change parts of imported firearm that is subject to 922r they must ensure the gun is 922r compliant after the parts are added or swapped or they are in violation of the law.

The individual owner is also responsible for ensuring that any weapon they own is 922r compliant.

You, as an individual, must ensure you build or buy a gun that is in compliant with 922r. If you do not have the required parts count you are in violation of the law and can be charged criminally, even as an individual. Possession of a firearm that is not 922r compliant, even if you did not build it yourself, will also put you in violation of the law.

Now I realize that no one has been sucessfully charged and convicted of a 922r violation but that does not negate the fact it is a law that must be followed or you could be charged criminally.

Here are some worksheets to ensure you are not in violation of 922r:
AK's
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildAkVerifyCompliance
Saiga rifles
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaVerifyCompliance
Saiga shotguns
http://gunwiki.net/Gunwiki/BuildSaigaShotgunVerifyCompliance

Dolomite

• Like 1