Chokes and patterns???

They can pattern well. As with any shotgun you need to pattern the individual gun with the ammo you plan on using. The correct choke and ammo combination is key. One thing is that the barrel threads are not necessarily concentric with the bore, it varies from gun to gun. I have seen them shoot over a foot to one side at 40 yards for this reason. If this is the case, having the barrel threaded for internal chokes can correct the problem since the threading tool is centered off the bore.

Edited by Ender
  • Like 1

I have never taken the time to count pellet strikes in a proper patterning method, but using the winchoke adapter Cobra sells has given easily visible improvement in patterns and significantly increases the range I can hit clay at. With buckshot it also means that I can keep all my pellets on target at a longer range.

I am always torn between the advantages of a good brake and the advantage of the choke. With birdshot, the choke usually wins out.

Thanks guys this is what I wanted to hear.When the gun grab scare is over and prices have fallen someI will plan on getting one.My old Remington 870 wingmaster kicks like a mule and a half and is no fun at all shooting and I will retire the old girl since she is over 50 years old.

With chokes how do the Saiga 12's pattern? Would they make a good hunting shotgun?

They pattern just fine and are definitely good enough to go hunt with. Another thing I would like to mention though is shell selection and wad design. That can make a huge difference in of itself. Something like Federal's Flitecontrol wad or Hornady's Versa-tite wad (Hornadys answer to the flitecontrol) can tighten up patterns simply by their wad design. One might argue that shell/wad selection can be even more important or improve patterns more so then a choke....

For example: One of my last times at the range I had some Nobel Sport 00 buck or some Rio 00 buck(can't quite remember) and some Federal LE Tactical Buck(9 pellet 00 buck with flitecontrol) When shooting the Nobel/Rio with my poly choke II on any setting...it still couldn't pattern as well as the Federal flitecontrol with no choke at the same distances. YMMV

• Like 1

I used my Saiga 12 this year for our snow goose conservation order. I bought the winchoke adapter and used a Patternmaster that I had laying around for an older browning invector choked BPS. I was shooting 3" Heavy Metal BB's and had a blast coming out of the layout blind with the Saiga and a 10 round drum. I found no dissadvantage and was able to shoot it very well on decoying snows. I have since taken a couple 5 round mags apart and made them into 2 rounders and plan on running the Saiga during our regular duck season next year. It is such a fun gun to shoot and even though it is not purpose built for duck hunting, it will do the job just fine.

• Like 2

I use a polychoke on my 19" S12 with factory sights. ***Thanks, EVLBLKWPNZ*** big_smile.gif

I out-shot my dad and brother (shooting a Browning Belgian A5 and Browning BPS) handily with my S12 and blocked mags. They both shoot very well. We were hunting standing timber for wood ducks. I really had to hold back... The short S12 was great in the brush! Although, we later jumped ducks and I forgot to tighten the choke for long range and barely hit a thing. I love the "dial-a-duck" fun you can have with the polychoke. Pattern is extremely important. Know yours at different ranges and settings, and you will do well.

bad_smile.gif

I want to go the polychoke route with mine. My friend had one with his old 870 and it worked great. (2nd version in the e-store)

Only try to remember to open it for slugs! I ran a few slugs through my Ithaca model 51 featherlight 28" barrel with it's full choke, and had many wild rounds. One deer I tried shooting through the heart at 25 yds, and hit him through both back legs! Next round for the kill was a tack driver.

I'd rather have the longer barreled 22" version for duck hunting. Slug length barrels don't have the reach that longer barrels have.

But for duck hunting, I rather have a belt fed full auto 12 gauge mounted in an anti-aircraft chair. Now THAT would be fun!!!!big_smile.gif