In the wake of last month's meteor strike in Russia and a close asteroid flyby on the same day, members of Congress asked NASA, White House and Air Force officials what they're doing to combat the threat of near-Earth asteroids during a hearing Tuesday on Capitol Hill.

"The answer to you is, 'if it's coming in three weeks, pray,'" space agency chief Charles Bolden said, in response to Rep. Bill Posey (R-Fla.), who asked what NASA would do if a large asteroid headed on a collision course with Earth was discovered today with only three weeks before impact.

Best answer I have seen in awhile to congress.

• Like 2

Yet more proof that congressmen don't live in the real world. Guess he was unaware that NASA would be hard pressed to launch a Sputnik sized satellite right now.

Bruce Willis ain't got nuthin to drive up there and save their sorry asses.

• Like 4

now if I was the head of NASA I would have said this

"well if it's coming in three weeks, then I would suggest you place your head firmly between your legs then kiss your ass good-bye".

yeah, I would probably be fired, but I would go down in American history for that statement. :D

Edited by Matthew Hopkins
  • Like 3
But if it comes, who will be around to read history?

you have a better chance of getting molested by big foot, then a "killer asteroid" impacting earth

Is there some place I can discretely order this service? Sounds hot!

• Like 1

At least an asteroid's trajectory can be predicted with reasonable accuracy. Its the comets you gotta worry about. The fact that they are made of ice and constantly discharge material on their approach to the sun means that they are actually capable of altering their own trajectory! Boo! Spooky!