Well I finally got around to getting up some pics of the current setup that Im running. I was looking for something lightweight, offered a decent loadout for basics on a rig like this, and wont restrict my movement. I like the level of protection offered in much heavier setups, similar to what I had in the service, but I hated the restricted movement and added weight that came with them. This isnt the total end result, but so far this is what Im currently going with.

The HSGI AO Small Chest rig is the basis for this. It offers plenty of room for a good setup, can hold a lot of weight, and is small and light in itself.

I used the Taco pouches, the X2R models, and added a small EOD pouch to use a a blow out kit/IFAK. The chest rig itself has hook and loop openings on each side that are all the way through, for other items, and also hold the straps for securing the rig.

post-32793-0-04453200-1363905801_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-93986600-1363905841_thumb.jpg

post-32793-0-90543300-1363906266_thumb.jpg

Anyone else got any pics of their setup?

I am certainly no authority on this stuff, as I never had to wear any of it as a jet-mech in the Air Force (20 years ago).

Right now, I have a simple USGI issue LBV with 4 mag pouches and a couple of small pockets intended for grenades. The weather here in Washington State almost always requires a coat so my field jacket and BDU pockets will be doing double duty, as needed.

Aren't you worried about your mags falling out?

What type of scenario do you see yourself prepping for? It makes a huge difference in your needs.

In most locations, in a SHTF environment, there would be a few days of worry, followed by a few days or weeks of chaos and then all main avenues of travel would be locked down with DHS checkpoints, making egressing with weapons impossible. That's fine, because I don't relish hauling all this ammo about. :)

Where I live is both a blessing and a curse. I live on an island with a bridge, 25,000 people and just 1 grocery, LMAO. Who is going to come save me and mine?

Edited by Sim_Player

That's pretty sweet Captain... I'm rather jelly. I guess one of the big pluses with those tacos is that you can use it for any rifle without having to change or adjust it. I'll post some pics of my BCS chest rig tomorrow. It's not quite as slick as yours, but it fits pretty slim once you get it on and cinched down.

Also thanks for mentioning the IFAK... I've been meaning to put one together for my rig but I keep forgetting.

• Like 1

Conscript, these are actually the standard A-TACS pattern, but I believe Gene will be offering the FG pattern soon. The chest rig itself is coyote tan though. I did that to break it up some.

Nice rig! I have a metric shit ton of gear and pouches in Coyote/FDE so no ATACS or Multicam in my future as it works good in all environments anyway. (My team followed suit with the Corps on this color choice for gear to go with either Woodland or Desert environments). I do need some Tacos from Gene though.

• Like 1

What I've been doing cerebus, is carrying my mags ammo down, but when I get spent mags, I've been putting them in reverse, until I get a dump pouch. They make a net that I want that I can mount on my belt.

Thanks Mt. I like the coyote. It's a great all around color.

Nice rig Risky. I like it. I need a hydration carrier myself.

The HSGI Taco pouches secures various magazine options like a champ. Flexible and innovative design.

The HSGI Taco pouches secures various magazine options like a champ. Flexible and innovative design.

Have you tried them with S12 mags? In another thread, someone was saying they worked. I'd really like to see that.

post-32793-0-05164400-1364328727_thumb.jpg

Here ya go Gunfun. I hope this works for ya bro. This is a Vepr-12 mag, and not a rock n lock, but should still suffice. One thing I would do though, is try to limit the capacity of the mags your going to run, as this 12rd. mag is a bit awkward in this pouch for my setup. 10's would be prolly the limit on what I would run in them for mine, as I wouldnt want them to interfere with the operation of my weapon. IMO.

• Like 1
attachicon.gifWP_20130326_001.jpg

Here ya go Gunfun. I hope this works for ya bro. This is a Vepr-12 mag, and not a rock n lock, but should still suffice. One thing I would do though, is try to limit the capacity of the mags your going to run, as this 12rd. mag is a bit awkward in this pouch for my setup. 10's would be prolly the limit on what I would run in them for mine, as I wouldnt want them to interfere with the operation of my weapon. IMO.

What if the pouches were inverted? Do you think they would still hold well (considering they'd have 12 shells in them adding weight as well) or would this be an automatic no-go? Can you do an upside-down shaky-shake and let me know please?

• Like 1

Works for me. That's what I wanted to know. I think I would want the pouches mounted on different gear anyway. I was thinking horizontal S12 mags across my abs and lumbar.

I've played pretty intense paintball, and found that a convenient position to get at my bulky pods quickly without otherwise being in the way.

I was mostly looking for a versatile way to be able to play 3 gun style with my magwell mags. I don't have an AR or AK47 variant, etc, but I would like to have versatile gear. Taco seems to be versatile. My cousin has an AR10, and freinds have 74s and ARs. Odds are that if I get a chance to play in a competition I will be using a loaner. Someday a 300 BO Tavor is planned.

Most of my mags are 10 shot SGMs fitted to JTE magwell. I'd start with the 12 in the gun if allowed. I know belt clips are a bit faster, and they would be much cheaper to make, so that may still be the main route.

Thats pretty sweet man, i just loaded all my stuff in a g4 operator. Not meant for speed really but more of an extremely long stay in the backwoods kinda setup. I figure its more of a b.o.b than a chest rig so sorry if its off topic. Holds a shitload of mags ammo and the rifle pretty nice tho!

• Like 1
attachicon.gifWP_20130326_001.jpg

What if the pouches were inverted? Do you think they would still hold well (considering they'd have 12 shells in them adding weight as well) or would this be an automatic no-go? Can you do an upside-down shaky-shake and let me know please?

If they are turned upside down, then the loaded 12 ga. mags will work themselves out. The 8 rd. Russian mags fair much better than the larger capacity ones do. I dont have the problem with rifle mags.

Works for me. That's what I wanted to know. I think I would want the pouches mounted on different gear anyway. I was thinking horizontal S12 mags across my abs and lumbar.

I've played pretty intense paintball, and found that a convenient position to get at my bulky pods quickly without otherwise being in the way.

I was mostly looking for a versatile way to be able to play 3 gun style with my magwell mags. I don't have an AR or AK47 variant, etc, but I would like to have versatile gear. Taco seems to be versatile. My cousin has an AR10, and freinds have 74s and ARs. Odds are that if I get a chance to play in a competition I will be using a loaner. Someday a 300 BO Tavor is planned.

Most of my mags are 10 shot SGMs fitted to JTE magwell. I'd start with the 12 in the gun if allowed. I know belt clips are a bit faster, and they would be much cheaper to make, so that may still be the main route.

This gear is versatile, and will allow you to secure rifle mags and shotgun mags in the same pouch. But depending on the mag capacity with the shotgun, there may be an issue with them wanting to work themselves out while on the move. You can also get single mag pouches or have an X2R taco like mine, with a pistol pouch in the front. If more retention is desired, you can get extra bungees that will come over the top of the mags.

Not really intersted in fiddling with bungies. It might be worth spending some time on a sewing machine and aping the design but taller.

Thats why I never bothered with buying them for added retention. I dont feel they need it with the setup I have. I did pick up some replacement bungees for the main body of the pouches though, just in case.

I wonder if Gene can make some a bit taller to accommodate S12 mags better? He used to do a lot of custom work in the past.

I was wondering the same thing MT. I'd say he would if he gets enough requests to do so. Id like to see him make some of these with a few more inches over the current ones. That would make a great pouch for the larger cap. S12 mags.

That's got me thinking of making a similar design out of heavy saddle leather mounted the way I was describing. It might be simpler to use wide ribbons of elastic rather than bungies though. Those bungies kinda look like they would catch on stuff easily.

That's got me thinking of making a similar design out of heavy saddle leather mounted the way I was describing. It might be simpler to use wide ribbons of elastic rather than bungies though. Those bungies kinda look like they would catch on stuff easily.

And ribbons of elastic wouldn't catch on stuff?

I wonder if Gene can make some a bit taller to accommodate S12 mags better? He used to do a lot of custom work in the past.

I was wondering the same thing MT. I'd say he would if he gets enough requests to do so. Id like to see him make some of these with a few more inches over the current ones. That would make a great pouch for the larger cap. S12 mags.

It would be nice for RPK mags too.

• Like 1