Did a little painting

Capt... That is a mess. I did that to my mags so that I could tell them from my sons. I used white nail polish, filled the letters good, then wiped with acetone free nail polish remover. Worked for the mags, so I supect it wouldn't hurt the gun finish. I don't know this for sure though.

I've seen people use many different things, but you should be able to do this very simply if you fill then wipe with a tight cloth and whatever solvent that works for your paint of choice.

I used whiteout and completely soaked the letters and receiver with it (obviously just the receiver area near the letters). I just slopped it on and when it dried used a few rags with Hoppes #9 and wiped the excess. Did my 1000 meter sight too.post-46357-0-22209400-1364178892_thumb.jpgpost-46357-0-12705400-1364178906_thumb.jpgpost-46357-0-91909300-1364178922_thumb.jpg

I used whiteout and completely soaked the letters and receiver with it (obviously just the receiver area near the letters). I just slopped it on and when it dried used a few rags with Hoppes #9 and wiped the excess. Did my 1000 meter sight too.attachicon.gifIMG_20130324_213410_006.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20130324_213401_005.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20130319_161444_614.jpg

Ummm... That turned out AWESOME!!!

I was thinking about using latex caulk, a rubber bondo spatula, and some careful clean up. After looking at that result I think I have found my winner though!!!

Spent another half hour cleaning up the lines and it looks a lot nicer! Just wish the stampings were a little deeper on mine.

I'm using Testor's enamel. I've used it before on my Mini-14 front sight/flash hider combo, and it seems to take Hoppe's #9 and heat well.

Lacquer probably wouldn't like the alcohol in #9 too well.

I used whiteout and completely soaked the letters and receiver with it (obviously just the receiver area near the letters). I just slopped it on and when it dried used a few rags with Hoppes #9 and wiped the excess. Did my 1000 meter sight too.

Ah shit... You know I was wondering how people got it to look nice like that. Good idea. Next stop, Staples.

I did all my Glocks and M&Ps with nail polish and acetone free cleaner. Doesnt touch the guns finish. HOWEVER if your dumb ass sister does her nails where you paint your guns, and she switches out bottles of polish remover on you, the acetone cleaner WILL destroy the finish on your dad's M&P9...Just FYI.

• Like 2
I used whiteout and completely soaked the letters and receiver with it (obviously just the receiver area near the letters). I just slopped it on and when it dried used a few rags with Hoppes #9 and wiped the excess. Did my 1000 meter sight too.

Ah shit... You know I was wondering how people got it to look nice like that. Good idea. Next stop, Staples.

I can't take credit for it, I got the idea from Cobra (I believe).

I just ordered a whole set of those off Amazon, can't wait for them to come.

Capt, do you have a shot of how it looks after the cleaning up you did?

I used whiteout and completely soaked the letters and receiver with it (obviously just the receiver area near the letters). I just slopped it on and when it dried used a few rags with Hoppes #9 and wiped the excess. Did my 1000 meter sight too.attachicon.gifIMG_20130324_213410_006.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20130324_213401_005.jpgattachicon.gifIMG_20130319_161444_614.jpg

That looks perfect, very professionally done!

• Like 1

Thanks for the idea Nemo, painting the gas plug numbers really helps you see what setting you're on much easier.post-46357-0-34460200-1364363695_thumb.jpg

Here's after the cleaning. The gas plug went real easy with it's deep stampings.[img=http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o660/Dewit2it/Saiga/paint2_zps2c5106ea.jpg]
Did you use the lacquer stick to do the red "F" as well? That looks good, I used the whiteout then a red sharpie but mine isn't as vibrant.

The red, white, and gold are all Testor's enamel.

Anyone notice the mod I did to the Phoenix handguard?

Rear of second vent hole........hollowed out for piston relief port.

Edited by Capt Nemo
Here's after the cleaning. The gas plug went real easy with it's deep stampings.

paint2_zps2c5106ea.jpg

That is WAAAAAY better that your first pics... That's something to be damn proud of right there!

Have you tried any #9 or anything on the Testor's to see how it holds up?

Thanks!

Front sight post of my Mini-14 with bright orange. It takes the heat and #9 with no problems. I usually recoat every 5-6 years due to darkening from carbon. It's one of the Choate night firing front sight/hider combos. So yeah, it gets hot!

Edited by Capt Nemo

You know there are gold engraving fillers out there right? My PA gun shop had them for about $2-3. I use nail polish on all my mags. White is the only color that ever comes out good. Tried it on a black front sight blade once, worked well but took it off eventually. Tried the crayon thing on my Saiga and the engravings are too shallow. The original owner painted it black and I think it pretty much filled them up.

Well, my Lacquer Stiks came in the mail today and I don't mean to thread-jack but I figured I would put up a couple shots of how it turned out. I intend to let this dry over night and do another coat tomorrow but it already looks very nice:

k01sna.jpg

2uqiq0y.jpg

• Like 2

That looks really nice! Looks like you got blessed with deep stampings.

Bad news for mine, as the formula for the Testor's gold paint is different from their other colors. Hoppes #9 made some of the gold run. Their white and red had no problem.

Well, my Lacquer Stiks came in the mail today and I don't mean to thread-jack but I figured I would put up a couple shots of how it turned out. I intend to let this dry over night and do another coat tomorrow but it already looks very nice:

k01sna.jpg

2uqiq0y.jpg

Looks really good. Guess I'm buying some lacquer sticks.

• Like 1
  • 2 years later...

Yes, sorry, should have specified. Seems to have hardened up well. Application was easy. It has a grease-like property until it dries I guess you would say. The clouding was the only problem but that was more my fault than the product. I stuck my finger nail in it an hour or so after and didn't make a dent or anything. Overall I think it worked very well, I hadn't tried other things so I can't say it was better than other options.