Start up cost for reloading 7.62x39

Why bother. You cant reload steel case which is the fast majority of rounds out there for 7.62x39. Getting your hands on brass case 7.62x39 wont be easy or cheap.

Pllease turn your avatar, my neck hurts laugh.png

• Like 3
Why bother. You cant reload steel case which is the fast majority of rounds out there for 7.62x39. Getting your hands on brass case 7.62x39 wont be easy or cheap.
Pllease turn your avatar, my neck hurts :lol:
. Better view.... ;)

. Better view.... ;)

IMHO, it is just not worth reloading 7.62 ammo. The pills alone make is cost prohibitive. The only rifle round I reload is 5.56, and I can make 1000 rounds for less than 200 bucks because the brass cases are readily available and free. If I want to reload some expensive hollow point or SP bullets like the 65 grain Sierra Gamekings, it will run me about $250. Compare that to the cost of commerical 5.56 ammo, and you can see the HUGE savings, especially in the more expensive SP rounds which can cost up to a dollar a round. That and my stuff is usually more accurate than commerical grade (or at least as good).

Compare that to the AK ammo and you see where I am going. Commerical AK ammo is about $200 a case prepanic, and will probably cost around $250 a case when all this crap settles. That is about what it would cost you to reload 7.62 IF you had the brass cases. If you had to buy the cases to reload, then you would probably spend more reloading than you can buy commerical grade Russian zoo stuff for.

I reload for 7.62x39. Then again I reload for every caliber I have in the shed. That being said, the 7.62x39 that I load is very rare and for specific reasons, otherwise cost prohibitive. It costs me more to reload for the x39 than comercial ammo, let alone surplus.