Saiga KS-K in american Police

Last year, the Russian Internet was full of reports of the KS-K 18.5 was put into service U.S. police.

But since then, I have not seen any reviews about it from current police officers.

Photos, application expertise, reviews ...

Dear cops as you like our Kalashnikov 12 gauge? wink.png

Edited by vinni83

My department is fine with my Saiga. It even did fine with the low recoil ammo until I really started pulling the trigger fast. As soon as Pauly gets my internals done and back to me they all want to play with it. I would not put it in the rotation with any question on reliability so my AR got the nod. It did fine before I converted it but I kind of expected that. To be honest, two out of three have a AR in my department, so I figure it never hurts to show up with some variety if the SHTF. If I would have known the internals were going to be gone so long I would have sent it off to have the barrel shortened to 18.5 with my Muzzle brake. It just sits over in the corner sad. LOL I guess on the bright side my ammo supply has built up nicely.

I was under the impression active law enforcement was allowed to have NFA weapons without a stamp. Guess most NFA items are owned by the department? I wonder why S12s are not more common for LEOs.

I believe it is the reliability thing and not enough research on the departments side. Plus not a whole lot would be interested in converting them and then tweaking them. Since most departments want you to use only their ammo and it is generally low recoil stuff you can see the mis conception on reliability.

Might be a dumb question. Say you became an officer. Would you be allowed to have your saiga 12 in your squad car for use if need be or would the department not approve?

Is there some kind of department testing or what not. I assume this because from what you guys are saying that some agencies actually use Saiga 12s which I've never heard of before.

There was a police model imported. But since it was illegal for citizen import so it would have been only avabile to an importer with a police demo letter. Hell the class three dealer could have had them in full auto to demo them for a police agencey. The OP was talking about how the police model fared in police use since it was stated on a Russian gun board that the US police were using the sagia 12. I think that there would be about zero police agencies issueing the s12 as a department weapon. But most police agency, at least the ones I've got friend that work with have a list of approved weapons. Then the officer can buy a weapon on the list and then they have to shoot qualifying and training with said weapon. I know personally two cops with the same county One uses an ar15 a1 In semi, and the other uses a scar, they told me that they can carry any .223 that semi, even an ak. If it works and they train and qualify with it.

So to kingjason a police agency wouldn't have to convert and tweak them as we must they could get them stright from Russia in the correct form, and full auto if they pleased. And ill be more than a few dealers have had cops that were friends write them a demo letter so that they could get from Russia a full auto saiga 12 ks-k just for kicks even if the department had no intentions of issuing them. I know for a fact this happens just so the friend of a friend can get a chance to fire some new auto weapons that can only be bought this was, thanks to the Hughes amendment of 86'.

Plus most carbines are kept in the trunk and shotguns in the cab. A tube fed shotgun will fit many places easier than a mag fed. And really unless you run drums or need a reall shot length weapon with still 6-8 rounds the tube fed semi would be better. The police are looking at a shotgun as a low round count weapon anyway. This is all my 2 cents and it's worth what you paid.

Plus most carbines are kept in the trunk and shotguns in the cab. A tube fed shotgun will fit many places easier than a mag fed. And really unless you run drums or need a really short length weapon with still 6-8 rounds the tube fed semi would be better. The police are looking at a shotgun as a low round count weapon anyway. This is all my 2 cents and it's worth what you paid.

Might be a dumb question. Say you became an officer. Would you be allowed to have your saiga 12 in your squad car for use if need be or would the department not approve?

Is there some kind of department testing or what not. I assume this because from what you guys are saying that some agencies actually use Saiga 12s which I've never heard of before.

Each department varies from what weapons are on the approved list. Just because a S12 is approved in St. Paul, MN (theoretically) doesn't mean that they are approved in the Minneapolis, MN department even though they're the "Twin Cities".

I personally think a S12 in full auto would be no better than a semi only, could be worse even. Most people, with a little practice, can put plenty of buckshot pellets down range more on target than a FA version, although it'd be fun to try :)

Edited by dubya

When I drove a Tahoe the converted S 12 fit in the center mount just fine with my AR right next to it in a mount. The drum was in the way, the 12 stick to long, 10 stick was fine, and 8 was great. Not sure in the Vic yet but we have duel mounts also. When I get it back together I will try it. I prefer it in my passenger floorboard of the Vic for easy access.

I believe Florida troopers issue S12s. Mine is not the one the OP asked about, just converted.