Well, it's finally time. After many years of grilling on a Weber charcoal kettle grill exclusively, I'm ready to add a gasser to the fleet. I've actually never had a gas grill so I have no idea what brands are a solid choice. I'm guessing the Weber made ones are good, but also pretty pricey. Looking for one that won't break the bank. What is everyone here rockin for a gas grill, and any suggestions on a good quality new one?

I don't know what brands are doing what. But I can tell you that you can't go wrong if you drop the extra coin for ALL stainless. About 10 years ago, I picked up my grill from costco for around $600. It is all stainless and the only thing that doesn't work in it is the ignitor. I've never covered it, nor been nice to it in any way. Well worth the money. I seriously have no doubt this grill will still be around another ten years. There is not a single sign of rust or decay on it anywhere. Not even the burners which are usually the first to go. If you spend your money right the first time, it will most likely be the last. Grills are one of those things that I truly believe that you get what you pay for.

Bought a Weber Genesis last year. I have had many grills in my life and this is the best gas grill I have ever owned by far.

The extra sear burner is great for steaks. The insulated lid holds heat in and allows you to get the grill super hot if you need to.

Turn on just the two outer burners and put you meat in the center and you have a great indirect heat set up.

Cost is close to a grand but worth every penny.

Happy grilling!

• Like 2

What brand do you have Big John?

It was Costco's signature brand back then. The main thing for me is it being stainless. Especially the burners. If the burners are going to rust out, then there is no sense in the rest being stainless.

Whatever you get, I would recommend converting it to natural gas if you have it at your place. We converted ours and it was the best thing ever. No more having to go get tanks filled or having to worry about running out of gas part way through cooking. Just need to make sure you shut if off or the bill will really get expensive... for reference we have a Holland. Takes a bit longer but it is all indirect and does a great job, especially with beer butt chicken.

• Like 1

Whatever you get, I would recommend converting it to natural gas if you have it at your place. We converted ours and it was the best thing ever. No more having to go get tanks filled or having to worry about running out of gas part way through cooking. Just need to make sure you shut if off or the bill will really get expensive... for reference we have a Holland. Takes a bit longer but it is all indirect and does a great job, especially with beer butt chicken.

I'm so damn lazy. I had this house plummed when built for that and my grill runs on the hot side so I've alway figured I could do this without even converting. Lived here 4 years and haven't done it. What a tard I am...

Huntington Rebel bubba. Or you could get yourself an aussie. they are pretty decent. Weber is good. I have a Huntington its lasted so far. I had to get replacement racks mine were iron coated with ceramic but thats about it. paid about 300 for it. has a decent thermometer on it and an external burner as well. Check out mills fleet farm. they have a damn nice selection.

Get the webber..I wish I would have....got a Kenmore a couple years ago..its ok...Went in to get the webber and somebody had ordered this one then not picked it up so it was heavily discounted...had the wife with me and the stainless steel, fridge and lights had her hooked...it cooks ok but the grilling surface sucks compared to a webber...My webber Q cooks just as good as the Kenmore...I have been thinking about putting the Kenmore on craigs list and gettin the Webber.

Having one converted to natural would be ideal, no messin with tanks, etc. However, the grill sits on a far corner on my deck and plumbing it up would be tough with keeping it looking clean. I do think stainless is the way to go. I saw some large stainless Thermos brand ones at Menard's for aroung 350.00 I believe. They seemed solid but I didn't look close enough to see if the burners were stainless as well. As much as I would love a real high dollar grill, I just can't justify spending over 500.00 or so.

I did consider building a nice brick surround and buying the necessary parts to piece it together at one time. I just have too many irons in the fire right now and little free time. Just really want something solid, cost effective and easy.

Try takin a look at Costco or Sams Club. Whichever is in your area. I truly think that you can make it happen on your budget depending on what size you are looking for.

HD and Lowes are probably another good place to look. Stay away from dedicated BBQ retailers. I was in my local "everything" supplier the other day. They had a bad ass insert type grill that would probably wipe your ass for you. Sumbitch was 3k. Their cheapest which was still nice was $1500.

The only way I would even think of dropping that kind of coin on a high end grill is if I were building an outdoor kitchen where just like your interior kitchen kicking it up a notch helps with resale.

Let us know what you end up with. Interesting thread, IMO...

I'd go against the grain and tell you to avoid stainless. If you grill often, you will find that it's more difficult to maintain a stainless finish over the standard black high temp painted cast iron finishes. If you are into BBQ, keeping the finish is even more difficult with the sauce and smoke tarnishing the stainless and baking on. It's easy to conceal dirt on a black dull finish. You can pressure wash it off. The worst thing that happens to a stainless lid is when heat bakes on contaminants and makes your silver color turn yellowish or even brown. They do make cleaners to get that stuff off but it will scuff the grain of your stainless. They make wipes to keep your stainless looking good. They come in a plastic container with a wet roll of pink poly rags inside rolled up. The liquid on the pads are usually citrus products and you can't use the wipes on the unit when it's hot. You can only do it when it's cool and the debris has already baked on.

Your charcoal weber served you well for many years. As far as I know, they're the only guys making a commercially available AMERICAN made grill right now. If you look at the different models, you will find that the Chinese made hardware that fits your grill together is of an inferior quality. Their screws, nuts and bolts are mostly recycled mixed metals that will corrode and fail on you whereas the American models use good quality bolts and nuts.

In conclusion! :) You had a good run with Weber. They are more expensive but will last you longer and cost less over a period of 20 years. If you aren't into keeping stuff that long, you can always go for a Costco unit or something cheap and replace it every 5 years. Stainless is a pain in the ass to maintain. It is not stainless!

Good luck and post a photo when you get your new grill!

• Like 2

Interesting this thread is going on.

Wife brought up a gas grill possibility the other day. Our old kettle Weber has served us well for many years. Really like the made in USA of Weber and agree Stryker0946 about the finish.

Anybody try this one yet? Weber Spirit E-210 2-Burner Propane Gas Grill

I agree with Stryker on everything but the Stainless Steel part. I have had no trouble maintaining the exterior of my grill. The Weber Genesis has a brushed stainless finish so using something as rough as a brillo pad has little to know visible effect.

I also have a lot of tree pollen at certain times of year and removing the yellow green pollen dust from the Stainless is far easier than it was on a painted finish.

Anyone know anything about the brand Stok? Cabela's catalog I just got has a Stok quattro four burner 48000 btu on sale for 329.99. Never heard of this brand, but like I said I've never had a gasser. Almost hate to buy one sight unseen as the flimsy ones just take one lift of the lid to tell.

Bought a Weber Genesis last year. I have had many grills in my life and this is the best gas grill I have ever owned by far.

The extra sear burner is great for steaks. The insulated lid holds heat in and allows you to get the grill super hot if you need to.

Turn on just the two outer burners and put you meat in the center and you have a great indirect heat set up.

Cost is close to a grand but worth every penny.

Happy grilling!

I agree completely. Weber Genesis is the way to go. I also got the side burner for onions and whatever else you like.

I'd go against the grain and tell you to avoid stainless. If you grill often, you will find that it's more difficult to maintain a stainless finish over the standard black high temp painted cast iron finishes. If you are into BBQ, keeping the finish is even more difficult with the sauce and smoke tarnishing the stainless and baking on. It's easy to conceal dirt on a black dull finish. You can pressure wash it off. The worst thing that happens to a stainless lid is when heat bakes on contaminants and makes your silver color turn yellowish or even brown. They do make cleaners to get that stuff off but it will scuff the grain of your stainless. They make wipes to keep your stainless looking good. They come in a plastic container with a wet roll of pink poly rags inside rolled up. The liquid on the pads are usually citrus products and you can't use the wipes on the unit when it's hot. You can only do it when it's cool and the debris has already baked on.

Your charcoal weber served you well for many years. As far as I know, they're the only guys making a commercially available AMERICAN made grill right now. If you look at the different models, you will find that the Chinese made hardware that fits your grill together is of an inferior quality. Their screws, nuts and bolts are mostly recycled mixed metals that will corrode and fail on you whereas the American models use good quality bolts and nuts.

In conclusion! smile.png You had a good run with Weber. They are more expensive but will last you longer and cost less over a period of 20 years. If you aren't into keeping stuff that long, you can always go for a Costco unit or something cheap and replace it every 5 years. Stainless is a pain in the ass to maintain. It is not stainless!

Good luck and post a photo when you get your new grill!

Holy crap! I'm supposed to clean it?haha.gif

Here ya go....

9863ff8299c5bac8d598582cf20aaf60.jpg

$6299 on sale.

Just got back from checking out Weber Spirit and Genesis grills at the hardware store. The charcoal kettle style said Made in USA...the Spirit model gas grills were made in china.

The Weber's did seem to be better quality than the other brands. The not made in USA kind of pissed me off and so I held off buying for moment. More research required.

Edited by NM0

Not a shill for Weber. Just a fan of there products.

From there website:

Just like in 1952, Weber manufacturing is headquartered in America, with factories in Palatine and Huntley, Illinois.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=7NYDQ9kanuo#!

Edited by DaveM
  • Like 1