Pistol grip conversion question

I am converting my saiga 308 to pistol grip, and installed one of Dinzag's trigger groups with trigger guard. I bought an "engage AK pistol grip" to install, and found that there is a 1/2" gap between the trigger guard and pistol grip centered over its screw hole. If I move the pistol grip to touch the trigger guard where it's supposed to be, then I'd have to cut out the entire back of the pistol grip because it literally wont fit otherwise. Even if I did this the bolt mounting hole still wouldnt line up. Ive attached two photos to show what I mean... Does the 308 require a special AK pistol grip, or is Dinzags trigger group the problem, or do I just need to try to alter the pistol grip? Also, what does everyone do with the exposed metal area the bottom plate was removed from? Fill the hole and coat the bare metal? Thanks for any ideaspost-39047-0-13921100-1370304162_thumb.jpgpost-39047-0-50201600-1370304200_thumb.jpg

Edited by manofmanytrades

It's the PG. I have the same trigger guard from Dinzag and it works fine with standard AK pistol grip. You can also cut that PG mount off of the trigger guard, you don't need it because the 308 already has the PG nut hole cut in the receiver. I'm not sure if that would allow any better fit of that particular pistol grip or not, but you don't need that mount.

Edited by AA re-cvrd

Personally I would maybe cut the mounting part of trigger guard off and use the factory pistol grip hole and it should work just fine. The factory hole would allow you to push it forward ad them tighten it down. I can tighten the grip with it pushed back like in your photo but with the normal T-nut you can make th pistol grip forward or back and tighten it. It's got a good bit of slop like everything else on an ak. If this nut doesn't allow the grip to go forward I would consider cutting it off.

That is a ar pistol grip get one for a ak.

After looking closer It seems to be not made to work with the trigger guard and pg combo.

Edited by deadeye

I'm gonna go with what deadeye says altho the number stamped in it does indicate its for an AK. If its off THAT much it might have got mixed up with an AR grip tho who knows. Before I went chopping stuff off and modding it to fit i'd try another ak grip to see if it will work, or try that grip on another AK.

I say this for a couple reasons. From the pics the trigger guard appears to place the threaded portion for the grip screw right over the square hole for a factory style grip nut. Its true you'll get a little wiggle room with a separate nut vs the built in solution but I'm not thinking you'll get that much. The next reason I say this is because its a whole lot easier to cut stuff off than it is to put it back on but no one is going to take parts back once you hack away at them.

Edit: Eh I don't think its their AR grip, theirs has a beaver tail design. Umm when you say centered up over the hole I'm assuming you actually put the screw in and tightened it up not just poked it on there and was like well this won't work right??

I'm kinda at a loss for what to say to fix this, maybe a pic of the grip in about the same orientation as second pic with the bolt sticking down thru it so we can see where the hole is coming thru would help someone help ya out.

I went with a different brand bolt on trigger guard and a ronin grip and had to do a little fitting on the front portion of the grip because it didn't fit the thicker guard and was actually too far forward.

Edited by jojo200517

On the aks I've worked with when you tighten the grip it actually pull the grip forward toward the trigger guard. I wouldn't think that this style bolt on trigger guard would do that but as others have said it should work.

I would kind of retract my previous statement and say try a regular old an grip and see if it works.

Also about the bare metal and hole. The hole I left as is it's only noticeable if your looking for it and joe sick pack isn't ever going to notice an want to know what it's for. If you need it gone to make you happy you'll need to weld it up and sand it down and refinish it. What I did was take rustolime(sp) and get the camo brand it's ultra flat and tape off the section that's bare and paint it. It keeps it from rusting and unless your going to refinish the whole thing really the only option ofcourse there other easy apply, room temp drying stuff but spray paint is cheap and easy, and it worked.

manofmanytrades,

I used Danzig parts for my 308 conversion, with no problems. I believe, as do others, that your pistol grip is the problem. The question as to filling the rear hole and finishing the metal: the rear hole is for the retaining screw for the stock. I didn't see how your stock was attached; did you need to secure the stock with a screw? If not, perhaps you can drill into the forward end of the stock and install a screw. As for the metal finishing, buff off the rust and burrs, and use Dupli-Color DE1643 Low Gloss Black engine enamel. It was recommended on Danzig's website, available at most auto parts stores, inexpensive, and is a perfect match. It's also great for touch-up on any nicks and dings on your rifle.

I will probably cut that mount off of my trigger guard at some point, I actually picked up a new PG nut and bolt to do it with, I just haven't done it yet. I agree that the PG will pull in tighter if it is mounted to the receiver in the normal manner. I have a new buttstock on the way and might do the PG when the stock arrives. I'll post pics.

The 308 i converted had the pg hole in it and i used that style triggerguard. I mounted an ati stock to it and had to drill out a little of the hole in the pistol grip to make it all line up. I used a pg nut and left the triggerguard square pg thing in place. Hope that helps

Edited by LuPiN8oR

i used a tapco Tnut and it plastic housing with a metal threaded insert i had to do a lot of grinding on the plastic to get the pistol grip Tnut to actually go in the receiver to allow it to clear te trunion

With the pg flush against the triggerguard, the only thing keeping it from seating correctly and the holes lining up was the rear screw that holds the triggerguard down. I dremeled off the last 1/4" of the bracket with the screw and spot welded it to the gun instead, fits great now. Thanks for all the suggestions.