Zeroed the Vortex 1-4 (pics)

I got home from work early enough yesterday to re-zero the vortex 1-4 on the sgl (id ordered lower rings for it), and was pretty surprised with the results @100 yards. Conditions were good, little wind, mid seventies temp, and was using wolf 125gr sp as i want to try hunting w this set up. I really shouldnt have looked w binoculars after shot # 3 as i got really excited and well, you can see what happened lol. I was on my porch resting the rifle on the rail with a towel underneath and only loading one round at a time in the mag.Thought id share, prior to this i hadnt ever gotten under 2in @100yds.

Ill upload the pic of the sgl, rings, and scope when i get home.

post-46523-0-79187000-1370371826_thumb.jpg

About as good as you can expect out of a 7.62x39 rifle. I've gotten pretty consistent 2 1/4" groups with golden tiger before, still... great shooting. I can see why you would want to leave that setup alone.

Sweet nailbomb, i was wondering if it were possible to get consistent groups that tight or if i just got lucky lol. Lone eagle, would horsing around n doing mag dumps with it make it not possible to get that kinda group afterwards? Thanks again for the input guys i really appreciate it :)

Doing mags dump shouldn't affect it for a while. I would say if you want to know real accuracyput put 30 rounds 3times on one target each time them messure those groups and post the size of those.

Doing mags dump shouldn't affect it for a while. I would say if you want to know real accuracy put put 30 rounds 3times on one target each them messure those groups and post the size of those.

I'll have to get another case of wolf sp to make that happen lol, and i just got a vortex 2.5-10 for the 308 that i gotta pay off 1st...trying to keep a bit of a stockpile of hunting worthy ammo, as you couldnt find any of that around here pre panic, only fmj.

Its a midwest industries mount red star, works pretty good and i like the fact that you dont have to slide it on

Can understand about the mount deal, im using a utg mount for the s308 that will more than likely be upgraded as soon as i pay off the scope for it and figure out if the lower m.i mount w high rings will clear the leaf sight.

Well, this was iron sights at 100yds after dumping 2 mags. Plates are 6" party, and backer is 14"x18"(torso size), and the AR target was right next to it. Notice 2 rounds hit the AR target.

DSCF0330.jpg

Yeah....offhand standing sucks, though. If I rest it, 2" is the norm unless I run Winchester Super-X or Yugo M67. With those, I can shrink it to around 1-1/2".

Edited by Lone Eagle

Mag dumps do open it up alot huh? Yeah, i need to work on my offhand a bit, its nowhere near as good as having some sorta rest... win super x in x39? Where? I dont believe ive ever even seen it?!? How much was it a box pre panic? That tight a group? I want! Lol

I was wondering tho if repeated mag dumps would ruin accuracy in the long term, like after the barrel has cooled etc. If so im not doin any more w that rifle, ill just have a good excuse to get another!

Once the barrel cools, it's OK. The hotter the barrel gets, the more it "whips". That target was off-hand as fast as I could rattle her, so the barrel was probably whipping pretty good.

The Winchester Super-X is 123gr SP, and I paid $23.99/20 locally. I ran this as a deer round in my old SKS, and it proved just as accurate in the Saiga. They are brass case, and reloadable. Remington has a Core-Loc version as well, but it was harder to find than Winchester. Nobody has it online right now, but the local shop had a few leftover boxes from hunting season I grabbed back in December. For the most part, I use 125gr SP Silver Bear because I lucked out and found 1K of it 2 years ago for $80 at a yard sale. big_smile.gif