Awesome web site for people who live in the sticks.

Just got off the phone with the FS. There is some smoke smell in this area and a lot of activity in the sky. There are a few small fires after the small thunderstorm that came in yesterday and things are starting to get really dry. A heatwave is about to hit us again and it will make the green forest turn it's usual summer brown.

I asked the gal on the phone if they had a website where you could look up fires and stuff and she directed me to this. Quite a handy site that keeps you informed of events in your area.

Time to start prepping the bug out vehicle, prep the house for sprinklers, double check the ins. policy and hope for the best!

http://www.inciweb.org/

If you live in the sticks, GOOD LUCK!

• Like 1

Looks like 2 of em around. We had some Smoke around here last night, but it's all clear today. Hopefully they don't get too crazy. Besides fire danger, I just Hate all of the smoke!!!

edit: Whoops, looks like 3 of em in Lolo forest. Thanks for the link.

Edited by RobRez

My family up Rock creek has stayed through some big ones, thanks to having the creek, 50yds wide on one side and a road and open land on the other. Although I could see the fires jumping rivers in high winds. I am not a fan of Fire-season. So far no fires really close to our place up there. I wonder if Sunnybean is on the job now?

Edited by RobRez

Can you make firebreaks?

Yes, but it involves either a D8 or C4. :) Our property has a "defensible" space but it's worth Jack and Squat when the embers come pouring down from a mile away. It's kinda like the dudes who live on the ocean. Pay to play. If the house goes, it's part of the deal. Back in the drinking days I would saw down a bunch of trees and tear up surrounding foliage while hammered and then place sprinklers on the roof. Even had a reserve of water and aux pump to fight it. With a family it's basically grab your ruck sack and get in the Cruiser, it's already loaded with all the stuff that matters.

As soon as a fire hits, we head to the lake with plenty of gear.

Can you make firebreaks?

Yes, but it involves either a D8 or C4. :) Our property has a "defensible" space but it's worth Jack and Squat when the embers come pouring down from a mile away. It's kinda like the dudes who live on the ocean. Pay to play. If the house goes, it's part of the deal. Back in the drinking days I would saw down a bunch of trees and tear up surrounding foliage while hammered and then place sprinklers on the roof. Even had a reserve of water and aux pump to fight it. With a family it's basically grab your ruck sack and get in the Cruiser, it's already loaded with all the stuff that matters.

As soon as a fire hits, we head to the lake with plenty of gear.

I like your "take" on your situation. Reality is reality.

Would "the lake" offer protection from the fire and smoke or is that just code talk for your super-secret underground complex?

Edited by Sim_Player