Any Wrangler JK owners - 3.8 V6 is it that gutless?

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm at 58,xxx+ miles now. It's been rock solid so far. I have made some changes to make it more of a Jeep though. These JKU's are EXTREMELY capable off road. Like mind bogglingly capable in basically

Were there any problems that caused you to get rid of it?   If Jeep would just put a turbo diesel in the JK like it does in other parts of the world, it would solve a lot of the powertrain complaint

New 295/65r20 Cooper STT PRO's true 35" tire, 4.56 gears and Detroit Truetracs front and rear. She's a beast offroad!    

Posted Images

Truetracs are awesome...  The one in the front of my '01 TJ is approaching 140k.  I have an Auburn Ected in the rear, for the best of both worlds.  It's a clutch driven limited slip, until I flip the switch to lock it.  There was a version of the Trutrac for a while that was similar called the "Electrac" but they were pulled from the market due to problems.  I almost bought one when they first came out.

I have an 08 Rubicon JKU hard top

It has all the goodies, 5:13 gears 35'' tires lifted winch bumpers sliders super chips stuff ect ect

It wont pull my camp trailer, but it will go down the road at 80 all day long, feels a bit underpowered, passing sucks.

I plan on the hemi conversion some day

I have 112,000 miles so far

So you have the best milage.

I have an 04 Liberty with the 3.8. Previous owner put a K&N cold air intake on it. Seems like it gets 0-40 pretty quick, but then its a slowpoke after that. YMMV

Netpackrat, on 15 May 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Truetracs are awesome...  The one in the front of my '01 TJ is approaching 140k.  I have an Auburn Ected in the rear, for the best of both worlds.  It's a clutch driven limited slip, until I flip the switch to lock it.  There was a version of the Trutrac for a while that was similar called the "Electrac" but they were pulled from the market due to problems.  I almost bought one when they first came out.

Nice.

Ever any issues with the Ected? Read a lot about them and issues with them. I've always been a fan of Auburn LSD's, I had one in a Moser 12bolt in a Z28 I used to own. Worked awesome.

The Truetracs are pretty impressive. I couldn't be happier with the off-road performance in 4hi and 4lo, rock wheeling, sand/pea gravel, it just kept on going. I'm eagerly anticipating this winter. I'm not quite sure what to expect as far as slippery roads go, it could be interesting.

Netpackrat, on 15 May 2016 - 12:44 AM, said:

Nice.

Ever any issues with the Ected? Read a lot about them and issues with them. I've always been a fan of Auburn LSD's, I had one in a Moser 12bolt in a Z28 I used to own. Worked awesome.

The Truetracs are pretty impressive. I couldn't be happier with the off-road performance in 4hi and 4lo, rock wheeling, sand/pea gravel, it just kept on going. I'm eagerly anticipating this winter. I'm not quite sure what to expect as far as slippery roads go, it could be interesting.

Mine's a little noisy sometimes, but other than that no issues with it.  My brother has one in his LJ and the wires leading to it got snagged on something while offroading, and ripped out of the diff housing, so he's currently got the rear end torn apart replacing the coil pack or some such.  Not the fault of the unit so much as I suspect the installers didn't do a good job of routing the wires.

Most of the people who hate on the Ecteds are running huge-ass tires with ultra low axle ratios (or don't actually have an Ected, and are repeating what they have read), usually rockcrawling, which is pretty much the worst case scenario for a clutch based lockup.  That, and they probably failed to take into account that their Ected that slipped "because it's not a true locker" or some such bullshit, probably saved them a busted axle shaft when it slipped.  That, and I wonder how many of them are running an improper lube...  The instructions specifically say NOT to run a synthetic gear oil with it.

As for me, I am running 31" tires and 3.73 gears....  I doubt if I will ever have any trouble with mine.  The couple times I have felt a need to engage it, I was pretty happy it was there.

My friend went ape shit on his. The OEM engine was gutless off road, not too bad on the road. Then came these guys.... http://www.aev-conversions.com/vehicles/jk-wrangler

I think he got his diesel done in state as well. Maybe through the aev guys in montana.

After owning a landcruiser, I could not get myself to like the JK.

Edited by Stryker0946